It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California 'Shoot the gays' initiative likely to be circulated

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
By Law, California Must Circulate ‘Shoot the Gays’ Referendum

(California) 'Shoot the gays' initiative likely to be circulated

So this is happening. In California an initiative titled "Shoot the gays" will be circulated, and the judge overseeing it has no choice but to allow it, per California law. The initiative would need 365,000 signatures to then be placed on the ballot for a vote to become law.

Matt McLaughlin, a lawyer from Huntington Beach in Orange County, paid his $200 filing fee Feb. 26 to submit the “Sodomite Suppression Act” to the voters. Declaring it is “better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God’s just wrath,” it would require that anyone who touches a person of the same gender for sexual gratification be put to death by “bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”

The measure would also make it a crime, punishable by 10 years in prison and permanent expulsion from the state, to advocate gay rights to an audience that includes minors. It specifies that its constitutionality can be judged only by a state Supreme Court that has been purged of LGBT justices and their advocates. And it authorizes private citizens to step in as executioners if the state fails to act within a year. Another provision would require that the text of the initiative be posted prominently in every public school classroom.

(...) McLaughlin’s measure is currently before Harris, whose options appear to be limited. Once the sponsor has paid the required fee, state law directs the attorney general to prepare a title and a maximum 100-word summary of the initiative and forward it to the secretary of state for a 90-day period of public signature-gathering. The secretary of state’s website says Harris is scheduled to take those actions by about May 4.

So who is this Matt McLaughlin, who submitted this initiative? For starters, this is not his first ballot initiative. His previous initiative was to force schools to use a King James Bible as a textbook.

McLaughlin, a lawyer since 1998, tried to qualify an initiative in 2004 that would have added the King James Bible as a literature textbook in California public schools. He was quoted at the time as saying he was promoting classroom use of the Bible for its “rich use of the English language” and was not trying to indoctrinate students.

It never ceases to amaze me that we still have, in this day and age, religious zealots who view the Bible as instructions to commit murder; “better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God’s just wrath,” and that these 'offenders' should die by “bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”
edit on 3/19/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Added links as requested by the OP

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
wow what a sick individual.
makes you think maybe somebody should put a bullet in his head.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Can I pay $200 bucks and get the Shoot Ignorant Idiots Act passed?

Come on folks it's 2015. I thought we left all this crap behind us in the 60's.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Christians, this is why we don't like your religion anymore. People like this give you guys a bad name.

If this nut wants this law in action, he should just move to Iraq. I hear ISIS would be a good fit for such ideology. Oh wait, he probably hates Muslims too...
edit on 19-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is why I much prefer U.K freedom of speech to the U.S. freedom of speech...

Inciting hatred should always be illegal.

No ones freedom of speech is under threat when these things are illegal...

As paranoid as some might be, it just doesn't work like that.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer His previous initiative was to force schools to use a King James Bible as a textbook.

ergo he is insane.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Sing along now...

"Well if I can shoot black bear, then why can't I shoot homophobes too? Well, if we tolerate this, then our non-conventional children will be next"

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Somebody listed his address in the comments section. LOL

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Seems like a level headed guy. Put a bullet in the heads of people who do things you don't agree with. Makes total sense!

Two things jump to mind...

Glad I don't live there. I'm not gay, but ffs!

I need more acreage. People suck!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Biblically speaking...

Could someone start the Hatemonger Suppresion Act...

To shoot those who spread hatred instead of Love in accordance with Jesus' teachings?

That's gotta be worth $200!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The guy is a nutjob. His petition will not go far, will not be supported by even the most religious of the religious, and will not make it to law--not even close. He's just a crazy attention whore.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
This is why I much prefer U.K freedom of speech to the U.S. freedom of speech...

Who gets to define what "inciting hatred" is? Therein lies the problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

it would require that anyone who touches a person of the same gender for sexual gratification be put to death by “bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”

Hitler tried that. He soon realized though that executing people with bullets was costly, messy and stirred resentment in the ranks tasked to carry it out.

So he invented gas chambers. Is that what hate mongers are suggesting, a return to gas chambers for "undesirables"?

Lol, good luck seeing that carried further than the council chambers toilet.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Christians, this is why we don't like your religion anymore. People like this give you guys a bad name.

If this nut wants this law in action, he should just move to Iraq. I hear ISIS would be a good fit for such ideology. Oh wait, he probably hates Muslims too...

C'mon, this guy is as indicative of what most Christians are like as much as the unibomber was indicative of what most environmentalists are like.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
The guy is a nutjob. His petition will not go far, will not be supported by even the most religious of the religious, and will not make it to law--not even close. He's just a crazy attention whore.

It would probably pass in Texas....or Kansas, maybe Idaho...
edit on 19-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'm going to use the popular argument used against Muslim fundamentalism against you. Why aren't moderate Christians speaking up and trying to put a stop to these people?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

No that argument is completely flaccid...

& all too common in the paranoid mind of those (not you specifically) worried that their freedom of speech is under threat just because hatemongering may be quashed.

The perpetrator, the one who threatens or promotes violence on another person/group is who defines it by opening their big mouths...

So long story short, don't threaten people, and it cannot be defined as inciting hatred.
edit on 19-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Elaboration.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Once the judge clears the initiative (which be law she may have to), it'll be up to McLaughlin (and his group) to gather the necessary number of signatures to have it placed on the ballot. (Sadly, I think there are enough hate-mongers out there that would sign it.)

The state does not have the power to limit a citizens' right to petition government, as it should be. Let him try to pass his heinous initiative and let him fail miserably, he is proof of just how hateful his brand of "religion" is.
edit on 19-3-2015 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
It's quite obvious that they silently approve.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Who gets to define what "inciting hatred" is? Therein lies the problem.

That is indeed the quandary the judge and state are in, and as much as any thinking person might hate the sound of this initiative, it should not be limited by the government. A citizen has the right to petition government. Period.

Now, if the citizenry sign the initiative and approve the ballot measure, then we can all go to hell...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join