It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's worse for Society????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So what's worse for society?

A person who is an awsome parent and spouse but horrible at making money and holding down a 9 to 5.

Or

A person who is excellent at buisness, but cheats on there spouse and completely ignores their children?

Which one does society glorify?

Which one should society glorify?

IMHO it's the excellent parent and spouse who is far better for society. But that's not who society glorifies. A great buisness man is respected and considered a pillar of the community reguardless of how they treat there friends and family. While a great spouse, parent and friend who can't hold down a job is a worthless mooch.

Is that really what we consider most important?

I really think this is the reason for the drop in families that stay togather.( Gay or straight is irrelevant.) We adore and respect celebrities and good buisness people. So that's what people strive for. No one cares if your a good father because in the words of Chris Rock "your supposed to take care of your kids" so you shouldn't expect praise. When taking care of your loved ones is the most praise worthy thing you can do. Plus the best thing for society in the long run.

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You have that wrong.

No one likes a good businessman. People are supposed to want money and to be rich, but the businessman is public enemy number one because he's evil, greedy and doesn't want to pay his taxes or employees enough.

Women especially are supposed to want to be powerful and wealthy executives of business and have great careers. People will look down on you if you take time to actually have a family or sacrifice the idea of your high-powered career to stay home and raise your kids. Society looks down on you.

But again, if you become the evil, greedy businessperson, you are public enemy number one.

So, basically, you are supposed to want it but hate yourself if you achieve it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I am with you...

I think What Society really lacks these days is " Moral Compass" "honor" "Respect" . I don't see it getting any better ....

What are we becoming ? What have we become ?

edit on 16-3-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You have that wrong.

No one likes a good businessman. People are supposed to want money and to be rich, but the businessman is public enemy number one because he's evil, greedy and doesn't want to pay his taxes or employees enough.

Women especially are supposed to want to be powerful and wealthy executives of business and have great careers. People will look down on you if you take time to actually have a family or sacrifice the idea of your high-powered career to stay home and raise your kids. Society looks down on you.

But again, if you become the evil, greedy businessperson, you are public enemy number one.

So, basically, you are supposed to want it but hate yourself if you achieve it.

What?!? Your nuts. Powerful men have women throw themselves at them.

Dude you watch way too much fox and drudge if you believe half of what you posted..

Speaking of which you completely ignored the question....
edit on 16-3-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Horrible at making money and holding down a 9-5 ??? Powerful men have women throw themselves at them???

Is this one of those "People should respect me though I won't get a job and my girl friend dumped me for a guy with a good job and that isn't fair" threads?

And No, it isn't cool to stay home being a good parent while you make your woman support you (while on the playstaion or xbox 10 hours a day while parenting) because you are too lazy to get a damned job, I hate those kind of bums! That coincidentally my daughters seem to attract.
edit on 16-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

A person who is an awsome parent and spouse but horrible at making money and holding down a 9 to 5.

Or

A person who is excellent at buisness, but cheats on there spouse and completely ignores their children?

IMHO it's the excellent parent and spouse who is far better for society. But that's not who society glorifies. A great buisness man is respected and considered a pillar of the community reguardless of how they treat there friends and family. While a great spouse, parent and friend who can't hold down a job is a worthless mooch.

I really think this is the reason for the drop in families that stay togather.( Gay or straight is irrelevant.) We adore and respect celebrities and good buisness people. So that's what people strive for. No one cares if your a good father because in the words of Chris Rock "your supposed to take care of your kids" so you shouldn't expect praise. When taking care of your loved ones is the most praise worthy thing you can do. Plus the best thing for society in the long run.

Thoughts?

Depends on how you define "good for society". The rich businessman very well may be an azzhole, cheats on his wife, etc but at the end of the day, he is the reason the 9 to 5 guy has a job.

I'd say broke hoodrats having kids out of wedlock, running in the streets, etc are just as much a drain on society as evil rich businessmen. At least the businessmen create jobs though.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

The problem is that you're missing a large gray area in between that is very important. If a parent is the provider for the family, part of being a good parent is that steady providing. I'm not talking about amassing ridiculous wealth, but a parent who is responsible for the food, clothing, housing, and well being of their children WILL hold down that 9 to 5 someway, somehow. In most cases, an individual who simply cannot keep a steady job is allowing some personal selfishness to interfere with their work... laziness, lack of attention to detail, insubordination, constantly being late to work, etc.

If a parent cannot hold down a job, then that parent is dependent on state programs for the wellfare of their children... that isn't good parenting.

It's called work-life balance and, if it was easy, it wouldn't be called a balancing act. But it gets done by millions of people because they love their family AND take their responsibility to their family seriously.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Or

Thoughts?

Depends on how you define "good for society". The rich businessman very well may be an azzhole, cheats on his wife, etc but at the end of the day, he is the reason the 9 to 5 guy has a job.

I'd say broke hoodrats having kids out of wedlock, running in the streets, etc are just as much a drain on society as evil rich businessmen. At least the businessmen create jobs though.

You don't think the void left by the great buisness/crappy person would be filled if the market was there for whatever product crappy buisness man is selling. Wouldn't good buisness/good people just be the boss instead?

Plus boozed up hood rats that let there children run the streets couldn't be considered good parents now could they so your example isn't valid.

I personally have never had trouble keeping a 9 to 5. Never been über sucessful, but the bills get paid.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Horrible at making money and holding down a 9-5 ??? Powerful men have women throw themselves at them???

Is this one of those "People should respect me though I won't get a job and my girl friend dumped me for a guy with a good job and that isn't fair" threads?

And No, it isn't cool to stay home being a good parent while you make your woman support you (while on the playstaion or xbox 10 hours a day while parenting) because you are too lazy to get a damned job, I hate those kind of bums! That coincidentally my daughters seem to attract.

Damn so it's impossible for the woman to be the bread winner while the guy takes care of the family..... Damn.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Or

How about the both suck?

What you are saying is one loves their kids but can not provide for their family and the other one can provide but does not love their kids...lol

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Damn so it's impossible for the woman to be the bread winner while the guy takes care of the family..... Damn.

No, not impossible but it seems to be the expectation and trend of the younger male generation that they should be able to sit at home and play video games and make the woman work because they are too damned lazy to do what it takes to support their family and in many cases themselves. "I don't like my job and refuse to work unless I like it and would rather play video games anyway" types. And there are a lot of them.

Another "tactic" I have seen is the never-ending "you work while I go to school AGAIN for some other hair-brained career I think I might want to do but probably won't, so You (the girlfriend or wife) go work while I (the bum) take some more part time classes racking up more debt that will lead nowhere because I never really plan to work anyway unless it is something I really like to do, and then they play video games half the week since classes are part time while the girlfriend or wife works her ass off to pay the bills.

edit on 17-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Or

How about the both suck?

What you are saying is one loves their kids but can not provide for their family and the other one can provide but does not love their kids...lol

Kinda yea. The extreme in both sides, both ways.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
well if I can do good business with the cheating wife beater and make a buck, then so be it. Somebody who cant even hold an hourly wage job is probably not going to make me much money. I would probably put myself in the middle of your two examples though, that nice grey area where anything goes

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I would argue they're both bad for society.

The first doesn't have much money but he does take after his family. On the other hand he isn't very successful, which leads to his child not having the right contacts in life to go further. Furthermore the child is learning from the parents poor example. All the parent can consider is taking care of his family, but he neglects to realize his family isn't self sufficient. If all a person can do is take care of themselves, how is society supposed to progress? If everyone else disappeared but his family was taken care of... what would happen to them?

Now lets look at the businessman. He has put himself in a situation where he can provide for others but he treats people poorly. If the best he can do is create a society that exploits everyone else for his gain, can he really be called an upstanding member of society? A history of bad acts will eventually catch up to you, and this man will lose most of everything when they do.

The first will die surrounded by friends that could never see beyond their individual circumstances and pass that poverty on to their children.

The second will die alone realizing that all his money went to waste, and that there's no more time to try and actually enrich others lives.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Look at who's running the government and tell me who we glorify. Chris Christie for example is a blatant crook yet he's still in office. Are we such pussies that we can't take that crook out of office?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I'm not a dude. I'm a woman, and you have no clue the flack you draw for choosing to stay home to be a mom rather be a loud proud supermom and have your career while you stick your kids in daycare or forego them entirely.

By the way, I don't have to watch Fox or read Drudge.

I just have to read the steady steam of anti-wealth threads here to know that everyone hates the rich and successful. So, if I ever get rich and successful, I will be hated and should hate myself.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm not a dude. I'm a woman, and you have no clue the flack you draw for choosing to stay home to be a mom rather be a loud proud supermom and have your career while you stick your kids in daycare or forego them entirely.

By the way, I don't have to watch Fox or read Drudge.

I just have to read the steady steam of anti-wealth threads here to know that everyone hates the rich and successful. So, if I ever get rich and successful, I will be hated and should hate myself.

You don't have to watch fox and drudge, but you do right....

Because the stay at home mom is obviously a Paria in today's society. Spit on and cursed when they try to check the mail...

Lol stop falling for there garbage propaganda. No one has ever attacked good mothers for caring for there children, ever. That's he most ridiculous thing ever said.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Full-time moms have been dealing with this attitude for years and years. The general consensus seemed to be full-time moms were too lazy or too stupid to work.... and that we spent our days baking cookies, having teas, and laying on the couch watching soaps while eating bonbons.

Hillary Clinton:

I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life.

Not to say that I didn't bake a lot of cookies! And cupcakes and brownies and anything else that could be sold at school/church bake sales. I also did a lot of volunteer work in the community. While other moms were working, I was volunteering at school teaching their kids to read and write. And the few other full-time moms I knew were doing the same.

In hindsight, better understanding how our debtor nation works, I now realize I was the bad guy because no one was making any money off of me. No taxes, no interest, no nothing. I think it really is that simple. If I had gone to work, then we could have gotten a bigger mortgage... fancier cars... and lots of other goodies bought on credit. And today our adult kids would also be credit-card consumers instead of responsible adults who live within their means.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Ethically, the cheating business man is worse for society.

Economically, the loving, penniless parent in worse. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Society shouldn't glorify anyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join