It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey detains Canadian Spy that helped UK girls join ISIS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: briantaylor
It's interesting how the CBC denies that the person arrested is Canadian or a member of CSIS.
Why would you believe anything Csis tells you and why would that matter?

Now if they would just confirm that CSIS has NEVER paid this person ANY money for anything...ever. CSIS is simply playing word games implying they have no relationship with him when in fact they do.

Ah the word games never end. Good on the Turks for exposing some hippocracy. And I sure don't think highly of Turkey but in this case it's nice they exposed some truth.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: briantaylor
It all makes sense IF this whole ISIS thing is a sort of false flag.

There are a lot of other ways this could make sense as well.

Western intelligence agencies could have"connections" within ISIS ( which could have been compromised by the Turkish statements by the way.)

There is also a lot of speculation about Turkey secretly supporting ISIS so anything coming from Turkish sources on this should be as suspect as Canadian sources.

The Canadians are saying the arrested person didn't work for them and wasn't a Canadian citizen as opposed to saying they had nothing to do with it. Reuters is quoting a European intelligence source as saying there was a connection with the Canadians.

That's enough to confirm it for me.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Am I missing something? Not shocking to me about the Canadian, I mean every barrel has it's smelly apple, but what's shocking, is that Turkey lifted a finger to try to stop anything.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

This is an interesting development, and one that I think is likely to be pretty revealing.

There are a few possibilities here that people might not be considering.

The coalition will have spies within ISIS (possibly just the outer fringes), so the person Turkey has might have been an asset used to get into the organization itself. This would be very useful, providing information on who is traveling into the region and potentially bugging those they transport too. If you have intel regarding people going to join a terrorist group and you have the opportunity to intercept them, wouldn't you bug/track them?

It could also be disinformation, designed to create mistrust in the ranks of ISIS. If an agency knows that this guy was recruited with another who is now a senior figure in the cult, announcing that this guy is a spy would cast considerable doubt on the other. Regardless of whether the guy actually is a spy or not.

If the guy really is a spy, then it's going to result in some extremely uncomfortable questions for CSIS. Not only is the agency going to have to explain why it's operating outside of Canada when it's clearly illegal for them to do so, but they're also now going to have to explain to the British government and public exactly why they were helping three teenage girls into a war zone to join a terrorist organization. That's going to be a significant part of the rest of this story, not so much that they were involved, but they seemingly had no problem with handing teenage girls to a death cult when they are supposed to be allies of the UK.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
One important thing that should not be overlooked is the fact that the spy is of a "different nationality." All spy agencies will recruit individuals working in foreign countries, usually a citizen of that foreign country, and these "spies" are by no means official representatives of the organization they are working for. Or to explain it another way, just because a foreign spy is on the payroll does not mean that the spy in question is loyal to that nation. He is simply in it for the payday, or at least usually. So as long as this agent was recruited outside of Canada, as opposed to being specifically sent from Canada to perform ISIL recruitment duty or whatever, it is likely the agent was acting of his own accord.

Even if he was sent by Canada for some reason, he still could have been doing the ISIL stuff on his own, without any oversight and without the Canadian government having any knowledge of such activities. Perhaps ISIL recruited him as a double-agent. Or perhaps he was recruited by a foreign power to send help to ISIL in whatever manner possible. Knowing the nationality of the agent will help in determining what exactly is going on, but even then there will still be some guesswork occurring on our part. Only direct information from the individual in question, as well as a government in the know, will answer the crucial questions. But it should not automatically be assumed that this was a Canadian state-sanctioned operation. Usually such operations involve more than one individual, but I suppose it would depend on the size of said operation.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
To add further to the controversy of intelligence agencies in coalition nations aiding ISIS; ATS topic: Iraq arrests 4 people, some of them Americans that were training ISIS

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
To add further to the controversy of intelligence agencies in coalition nations aiding ISIS; ATS topic: Iraq arrests 4 people, some of them Americans that were training ISIS

This story out of Turkey just further confirms my suspicions about the earlier report. You see MSM sources jumping on this even though it implicates a western intelligence agency. Why would they have held back on the earlier story unless it didn't stand up to scrutiny?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
The coalition will have spies within ISIS (possibly just the outer fringes), so the person Turkey has might have been an asset used to get into the organization itself. This would be very useful, providing information on who is traveling into the region and potentially bugging those they transport too. If you have intel regarding people going to join a terrorist group and you have the opportunity to intercept them, wouldn't you bug/track them?

Yes, absolutely. No doubt three letter agencies, or four, around the world wanted to know who was going and bug them to know where they went. Somehow I doubt the girls were in on anything.

It could also be disinformation, designed to create mistrust in the ranks of ISIS.

It doesn't strike me as likely but I don't know how important this guy that the Turks grabbed really is. I don't expect him to be all that high up in ISIS but who knows.

If the guy really is a spy, then it's going to result in some extremely uncomfortable questions for CSIS. Not only is the agency going to have to explain why it's operating outside of Canada when it's clearly illegal for them to do so, but they're also now going to have to explain to the British government and public exactly why they were helping three teenage girls into a war zone to join a terrorist organization. That's going to be a significant part of the rest of this story, not so much that they were involved, but they seemingly had no problem with handing teenage girls to a death cult when they are supposed to be allies of the UK.

I think it's been known that CSIS runs informal spies in a few hot spots around the world. China more so than the Middle East. You have to remember that as part of the '5 Eyes' network Canada and the UK share huge amounts of intelligence. I don't know if that sharing includes 'informal' assets like this Turk who got grabbed, but it usually does for lower level assets. They'll cover it all up enough so the public doesn't get too upset and MSM doesn't run the story very hard.

I feel for the people this Turk has delivered to ISIS lately....they are in for a world of suffering from ISIS. Heads will be removed with any suspicion by ISIS. I would gather some moles inside ISIS might be running for cover after this story came out.

The question is why would Turkey expose something like this to ISIS? Probably cause they want to keep a lid on how many agents everyone has running around their country but it sure isn't playing nice with your NATO partner.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
a reply to: briantaylor

Keep in mind the CBC, while pretty unbiased for MSM, is still a crown corporation.

Don't bite the hand that feeds?

They are on a short leash and walking a thin line with the conservatives. Slashing the CBC budget by 10% was all the conservatives could do without a clear mandate. If they win another majority (very likely) with any mention of "CBC being unfairly funded by the government making it difficult for privately owned business to compete..." Sun Media will be picking CBC's bones by 2017.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Oh so CSIS is now in the terrorism business

Why I thought only US agencies are into that

Grow my little CSIS. Grow so you can one day be big boys who can even pull off 9/11 size false flags

Be proud you Bilderberger/bank puppets

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Oh you had dealings with CSIS too eh

I had dealings with them in 2004-2015

They are as pathetic as they were back in your time

They don't wear trench coats anymore but they do lot of blowjo*s that's for sure

They also hire too many immigrants and foreigners, I guess they can't find real Canadians to take the crappy jobs

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
The question is why would Turkey expose something like this to ISIS? Probably cause they want to keep a lid on how many agents everyone has running around their country but it sure isn't playing nice with your NATO partner.

This is the bigger question. I have a lot of contradictory opinions about what's going on but putting on my nationalist hat I have to wonder if Cavusoglu didn't compromise western intelligence efforts by going public with this. I wish I could find a full text of the interview but it seems possible he blurted this out while being put on the spot about how Turkey isn't "playing nice" as you say.

The Turks won't let their airbases be used for attacks on IS; they wouldn't allow Kurdish reinforcement of Kobani for a very long while but in the meantime their border seems to be very porous for ISIS support crossing into Syria. There is rampant speculation that they might have even actively supported or be supporting ISiS. It seems like this should be defined as a foreign state at war with NATO participants and Turkey should be made to adhere to their treaty obligations. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aaamok88

Oh you had dealings with CSIS too eh

I had dealings with them in 2004-2015

They are as pathetic as they were back in your time

They don't wear trench coats anymore but they do lot of blowjo*s that's for sure

They also hire too many immigrants and foreigners, I guess they can't find real Canadians to take the crappy jobs

That is a shame they haven't really moved forward intellectually, but as someone else mentioned, puppet strings and bankers be their masters. They have CSEC now as well, but that is just an arm of the NSA, the US threw tons of money into that alleged "goobermint" agency. SIRC and the Privacy Commissioners office are a joke as well, they all just tow the BS party line, never do anything right and always come down in favour of their assclown buddies at CSIS.

If it ever happens one day that the government takes back the bank of canada and nationalizes it away from the IMF, that will be the day CSIS turns full force on the government and the US calls canada a "rogue state." All the alphabet agencies are tied together in a lose knot at the top, they all work for any government's real handlers and that certainly isn't to the benefit of the people (the zombies the ROFL elected representatives are supposed to represent). Traitors, all of them, they need to be properly tried and if found guilty, hung.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Man you are like mirror image of me I swear

I agree and more importantly I UNDERSTAND everything you wrote

I don't blame the lowliest people in agency like CSIS, they are just idiots and I myself can open up a company and hire idiots specifically if I wanted

The big boys, director and about 20 guys below him are real traitors

I don't blame average small time agent in the same way I don't blame Autistic people

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
a reply to: briantaylor

Keep in mind the CBC, while pretty unbiased for MSM, is still a crown corporation.

Don't bite the hand that feeds?

They are on a short leash and walking a thin line with the conservatives. Slashing the CBC budget by 10% was all the conservatives could do without a clear mandate. If they win another majority (very likely) with any mention of "CBC being unfairly funded by the government making it difficult for privately owned business to compete..." Sun Media will be picking CBC's bones by 2017.

I thought Sun media went belly up last week. Maybe it was just their TV station that went black.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel
The Turks won't let their airbases be used for attacks on IS; they wouldn't allow Kurdish reinforcement of Kobani for a very long while but in the meantime their border seems to be very porous for ISIS support crossing into Syria. There is rampant speculation that they might have even actively supported or be supporting ISiS. It seems like this should be defined as a foreign state at war with NATO participants and Turkey should be made to adhere to their treaty obligations. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

I would like to hear the full extent of Turkey's involvement with ISIS. There clearly is some negotiation between the two and some agreements.

I get the feeling Turkey is on the edge of dropping out of NATO. They are a very strategic member but I don't see enough alignment in policies now as there was before. This incident is just another in a long list of 'not getting along' incidents.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

originally posted by: DelMarvel

I would like to hear the full extent of Turkey's involvement with ISIS. There clearly is some negotiation between the two and some agreements.

I get the feeling Turkey is on the edge of dropping out of NATO. They are a very strategic member but I don't see enough alignment in policies now as there was before. This incident is just another in a long list of 'not getting along' incidents.

Well, there's this by Seymour Hersh if you haven't seen it before. Though I have read some equally convincing debunking of this article.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Interesting read and I just started! Thanks!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Newer coverage from the Ottawa Citizen. Long, in-depth article.

The news channel claimed he contacted a Canadian embassy official in Jordan called “Matt,” and quoted Turkish police sources that Matt was likely an employee of a British intelligence service, said a report from Istanbul-based newspaper Daily Sabah, citing the A Haber coverage. The suspect only acted as a smuggler and was paid by the intelligence service.

If Rashid worked in some capacity for CSIS, and based on reports his computer contained images of passport and travel documents of several apparent ISIL recruits, it’s conceivable he was actually gathering intelligence for CSIS about those recruits and the methods, logistics and contacts for spiriting them into Syria, said Ray Boisvert, former assistant director of intelligence for CSIS.
“If he was a CSIS asset, he’s likely an observer whose only job is to report what he saw,” Boisvert said.
If his computer did, in fact, contain information about many other ISIL recruits in Syria, “that’s a hell of intelligence operation, well done.”

LINK.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join