It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Man Holds a PATENT That Could Crush MONSANTO and Change The World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

So the secret to not using GMO food is using GMO fung

There is nothing GM about the fungi..

Purp.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

am a little confused. What is Big pharm?? Did you mean big farm?

Thank you forreply. I guess I should not use short text I meant big pharmacutical companies..

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: steaming

Fungi is not the friend some claim it too be.

about 90% of plants have a symbiotc relationship with fungi. We have them in our bodies and would die without them..
They process information and allow plants even of different species to communicate and share resources. We could learn a lot if we choose to look corectly

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
I saw a documentary on this species of fungus once. It is the zombie fungus taking control of it's host from the inside out. You may be right that it doesn't effect humans like that but many insects can not be exterminated without exterminating us too. We seldom think of the jobs they do but as with honey bees without them we could be facing some real problems. I hope they push a lot of testing before this is ever made available.

It is available and it is a lot safer than using chemicals. You can tailor the fungi to attack a specific species of insect. This fungi exists naturally in the wild.
The bees need fungi to exist and there is some evidence to suggest that the bee die out is in part due to the lack of fungi in old rotten wood and stuff.

purp

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

I recently started experimenting with growing mushrooms on logs with plug spawn (too early for results yet). If it works it will be a great addition to our off grid efforts. You can order plug spawn through Stamets's Fungi Perfecti site.

I have just got myself some hardwood to seed with #ake and oyster mushrooms. Its a new thing to be looking foward to trying it.
Not sure if you are into fermenting food but I just found out you can ferment shrooms the same way you make chim chi and stuff. I wll be trying that..

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Why you wanna feed cancer to peeps?

I dont want to feed cancer to peeps thats why i oppose the use of chemical pesticides and think looking for alternatives is a good idead... The fungi does not hurt people it has been used by Chinese medecine for thousands of years and is held in very high esteem

purp.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

200,000 species sounds like a pretty broad specktrum..playing with fire I would say. Nature is a balancing act and we have upset the balance quite a bit already.

It does not just wipe out 200.000 species. It is tailored to attack one species at a time. We need to increase biodiveristy not destroy it. The targeted insects learn to stay out of the area so it does not kill all of them.

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yup this seems like a double edge sword. Sure it could help deal with pests but we can never control it and it does have an effect of some people already. Also it's hard to say what might happen with cross breeding. There is no 100% control over nature.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
We've screwed up ecosystems before when introducing non-native animals to certain areas (either intentionally or accidentally) where the those non-native animals became invasive species. I'm thinking of the cane toad and rabbit in Australia, or the kudzu plant in the U.S., or the emerald ash borer that is harming U.S. trees, or some islands where non-native mice are left to breed unchecked due to having no natural enemy.

I worry the same thing could happen if we introduce a non-native fungus into an ecosystems. What's to stop the fungus from rapidly spreading through parts of that ecosystem which it was not intended to spread -- doing more harm than good?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Interesting share. S&F and thanks.

I can think of 101 ways to turn this premise into a horror story.

Could life even exist... without fungi?

CdT

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: Snarl
Sounds like bio-terror.

Scary #!!

If its the cordyceps its worse than bioterror. This fungi gets inside ants takes over the ant make the ant go to the top of a plant then a mushroom grows out of the ants head.

Cordyceps is amazing it has some amazing health benefits too..

purp..
If it is Cordyceps i want to avoid it, i have an autoimmune disorder, any one with blood problems should avoid it as well. Not a good idea for food.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Could life even exist... without fungi?

There would be little to no life on the surface of the earth. Fungi where the first organisms to come to land. The break down rock and release nutrients. I think they maybe paired with algae or cyanobacteria and became nitrogen fixers.. There created soils that allow other life to follow onto the surface of the earth..

They play such an integral role in ecosystems today that there removaof this kingdom would collapse life on the planet..

purp

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

If it is Cordyceps i want to avoid it, i have an autoimmune disorder, any one with blood problems should avoid it as well. Not a good idea for food.

thank you for your reply.

Like conventional pesticides its not systemic. You wont find it pentrating the plants all you need to do is wash your vegtables which most peeps do anyway..

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I worry the same thing could happen if we introduce a non-native fungus into an ecosystems. What's to stop the fungus from rapidly spreading through parts of that ecosystem which it was not intended to spread -- doing more harm than good?

Mushroom spores are so small and prolific in number that they travel all over the planet and high into the atmosphere. They get everywhere already. They where the initial colinsers of the earth and they know how to spread themselves

purp..

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

"One Man Holds a PATENT That Could Crush MONSANTO and Change The World" loveclicks? haha er..no

Ofc it can. Its about the relationship we have with the earth and ulitmatly with each other. We are destroying the earth and technocentricism and need to change ths attitude.
Understanding that soil is a living complex, promoting fungi growth within it and allowing the growth of green produce without the use of agrochemicals is a pardadigm shift that is long overdue..

purp.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Mushroom spores are so small and prolific in number that they travel all over the planet and high into the atmosphere. They get everywhere already. They where the initial colinsers of the earth and they know how to spread themselves

purp..

If they already spread themselves everywhere, then what is this guy proposing to do to specifically target these fungi to infest pests, harmful insects, etc?

I assume that since these pests are not already being killed off by these fungi naturally in large numbers that to use fungus as a pesticide, something different needs to be done that nature does not already do to.

edit on 3/9/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Thank you forreply. I guess I should not use short text I meant big pharmacutical companies..

purp..

Thank you for clearing that up, but now I am a little more confused. How is this going to affect pharmaceutical companies?

Pharmaceutical companies make medicine and the spores are for crops I don't understand where the connection is.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

purp..

Thank you for clearing that up, but now I am a little more confused. How is this going to affect pharmaceutical companies?

Pharmaceutical companies make medicine and the spores are for crops I don't understand where the connection is.

While "pharmaceutical" specifically refers to medicines and drugs, some pharmaceutical companies also have divisions that make pesticides (Dow Chemical, Abbott Labs, and Bayer, for example)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

a reply to: steaming

Fungi is not the friend some claim it too be.

about 90% of plants have a symbiotc relationship with fungi. We have them in our bodies and would die without them..
They process information and allow plants even of different species to communicate and share resources. We could learn a lot if we choose to look corectly

purp..
Purp we are all mushrooms kept in the dark and fed full of #

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Grimpachi

purp..

While "pharmaceutical" specifically refers to medicines and drugs, some pharmaceutical companies also have divisions that make pesticides (Dow Chemical, Abbott Labs, and Bayer, for example)

Ah OK.. I didn't know that. Now it makes sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join