It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Religion, Science and Evil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Bible makes clear that Earth along wit the rest of he Universe was created about 8,000 years ago. That in the end times the Evil will be Destroyed and suffer a second death.

Evolution presents that humans have survived mass extinctions for 250,000 years and in potential have done so. Because the more opportunistic of us, have the ability to survive even if not trained to survive in the wild.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Where does the Bible say that the earth is 8000 years old?.
Yes and we have lived along side other hominids at the same time...we survived because of our brain.
Oh and Iam sure the people who lived in those times were highly trained in surviving the environment because we are here today.
edit on 7-3-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

No where but such estimates are obviously claimed.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

a.) What is a day to God? This is why I favor an inspired approach as opposed to the literalist.

b.) I favor the idea that God's plan for His people (believers in general) spans something closer to the timespan you mention.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

So not clear then lol

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Myself I agree the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and the Universe s about 13.7 billion years old and is currently known to be about 93 Billion years wide.

For the record I am a member of an Indigenous culture who actually have accounts going back a Million years when only proto-humans existed.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

No where but such estimates are obviously claimed.

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3: 8-9

This is where it come from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should draw the conclusion that every day that is mentioned must be 1,000 of our years like some kind of biblical "dog years" equation either. To me, it simply signals that God does not reckon time as we do.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

My primary concern here is the mater of wiping out the Evil, when they potentially are necessary to human survival.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

My primary concern here is the mater of wiping out the Evil, when they potentially are necessary to human survival.

The point of the End Times as I understand it is the final perfecting of Creation which was intended to be perfect from the start with no need for evil.

In that future, there are no humans. We are all changed into other beings that are precisely human anymore as we understand the term now.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

To be truly perfect one must also be imperfect so as to encompass all things.

In science the only possible was the human race can survive is in doing whatever is necessary to do so. God in the Bible states. "Be Fruitful and Multiply" which suggests "Survive".

Go did not say the Earth was "Perfect", God said the Earth was "good"

Consider in potential that in so far as life forms in the Universe, as intelligent as us, are all descendants of Predators?

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Can we see these million year old accounts?.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

What is essentially described is that Homo-Sapient started out as a Hybrid that could not reproduce and about 250,000 years ago could.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

The bible says NOTHING about the age of the earth... or the universe for that matter

That little bit of info was calculated by using the genealogies in the bible... but there isn't a single verse in the entire book that even gives a hint at the age of the earth or the universe

At least get your facts straight if you're going to argue a silly idea like young earth creationism or "end times"

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I am not supporter of "Creationism" but, I acknowledge that a substantial part human population does (realistically).

I am presenting a fundamental difference that in fact exists between Science and Western Religion.

I mean if some advanced form of life appeared on Earth and announced that he or she or it can wipe out evil on Earth????

edit on 7-3-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Technically no... Young earth creationists represent a very small portion of Christianity

Its the fundamentalists that believe in such things, but the funny thing is that its not even a part of the bible... on the other hand there are also Christians out there that still believe the world is flat... which was a shocker to me

And IF one actually reads into it just a little bit, they would clearly see that it doesn't make a lick of sense even if said person takes the bible literally... its simply not there

But, as far as some entity appearing on earth claiming to have the ability to wipe out evil... I would say bullshmit

Evil exists in the hearts of man... that would require said entity to change what is within...

Evil isn't an entity... it is a frame of mind where the person is overly concerned about themselves only with no regard for anyone but themselves...

edit on 7-3-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

The Bible makes clear that Earth along wit the rest of he Universe was created about 8,000 years ago.

Evolution presents that humans have survived mass extinctions for 250,000 years and in potential have done so.

Any thoughts?

Yea, I have some thoughts...

...its 2015 now and anyone who uses their brains can clearly see that the bible is a bunch of nonsense.

edit on 7-3-2015 by DenyTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I've also heard people say 6-8000 years based on the ages of the people in the OT...

So and so was so old and his son was so old and his son was so old etc

Which apparently comes to the figure presented...

The verse you shared, I always thought it was a way for Humans to comprehend "a long time"...
So just something more understandable as a long time metaphorically rather than a literal thousand years?

Could be wrong though.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyTreason

The Bible makes clear that Earth along wit the rest of he Universe was created about 8,000 years ago.

Evolution presents that humans have survived mass extinctions for 250,000 years and in potential have done so.

Any thoughts?

Yea, I have some thoughts...

...its 2015 now and anyone who uses their brains can clearly see that the bible is a bunch of nonsense.

Much smarter people than you and I have lived and would disagree with you.

Some of them real genius'... So there is that.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

The Sumerian Creation Myths I believe have a similar idea to them as well. Which is also where many other Creation Myths derive from as well. The language differs from one to the next as it has evolved and been adjusted for each culture but they basically follow similar ideas.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Based upon my experiences I do not feel you are being realizing the extent to which, fundamentalism permeates Western Culture.

Case in point....

What position does this man hold in the US????

Further reading

edit on 7-3-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join