It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What religion has murdered the most people for there scientific achievements?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm assuming it's Christianity, but lately I've seen a lot of craziness blaming Muslims for the dark ages and other such things. As well as people claiming Christianity isn't anti science. So here is a spot to list all the great thinkers from history that were murdered by what ever church killed them.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

So here is a spot to list all the great thinkers from history that were murdered by what ever church killed them.

Scientology did for Ron L Hub
edit on 7-3-2015 by Borisbanger because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Threads don't require much effort anymore.

Perhaps you could have researched a little to start the topic off?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Does it matter? The question should be, Who are the mass murders of this generation?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Huh?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think the onset of the dark ages was helped immensely by the destruction of the library of Alexandria (counts the "of"s in that sentence).

And although it seems divided up, the muslims were the nail in the coffin there. From that point on, as history continues the Vatican rose to power and "preserved" knowledge..aka, hoarded all.

I think its safe to say that religion, at least historically, has never been fond of knowledge in general. as far as counting who did more damage, I would say x-ianity historically, and islam today.

Just my opinion by skimming. subject to change at a given notice.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Does it matter? The question should be, Who are the mass murders of this generation?

...American politicians? African warlords?
define murder.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The question should be, Who are the mass murders of this generation?

The mass murderers of this generation are the mass murderers of this generation. Does it really matter which religion they've hijacked to justify their actions?

Trying to blame murder on a religion just causes divisiveness. Can't we all just agree that, regardless the label given to them, the mass murderers of this generation need to be stopped?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Surley it is the creator of the thread that chooses to question of debate?

I would say that Jesus being killed by the Romans and there multiple god faith was a big one to start off with?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Unless you are doing some morbid research paper the question isn't as important as who is killing in the name of their religion in modern times. The answer is clearly Islam. What kind of project are you doing? Are you trying to get ATS to do your research for you? I'm curious.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Like the catholic hitler?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I would say that Jesus being killed by the Romans and there multiple god faith was a big one to start off with?

Never heard Jesus referred to as a scientist!?!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

What religion has murdered the most people for there scientific achievements?

First you need a list of "Scientific Achievements"

Name 5 to start with if you can.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Lets be clear...Catholics, IE the Roman Church is distinguished readily from other Christians...not to imply the Roman church is without guilt, quite the contrary, but I just need to make a point of order.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: nonspecific

Never heard Jesus referred to as a scientist!?!

No but in your OP you asked for Great thinkers, Assuming for the purpose of debate that the stories are true I was thinking of him as a philosopher who was killed because his "beliefs" went against the religion of the time.

Theres a few to ponder in this link

I cannot vouch for the accuracy although this seems to fit your question.

"Michael Servetus (1511-1553)
Servetus was a Spanish physician credited with discovering pulmonary circulation. He wrote a book, which outlined his discovery along with his ideas about reforming Christianity — it was deemed to be heretical. He escaped from Spain and the Catholic Inquisition but came up against the Protestant Inquisition in Switzerland, who held him in equal disregard. Under orders from John Calvin, Servetus was arrested, tortured and burned at the stake on the shores of Lake Geneva – copies of his book were accompanied for good measure."

edit on 7/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Didn't Pol Pot of the Khmer Rouge purges in Cambodia murder people for just wearing glasses.?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That is inaccurate. I sm not in any way connected to Islam outside of being born into a Catholic family. Folks need to rid themselves of religious bias ASAP.

Problem is, people believe they have a right to impress others with their personal beliefs..

I feel and experience Islam, Christianity and Judaism as insolent and childish. I consider Raja Yogic philosophy vastly superior to anything expounded by modern society.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I'm assuming it's Christianity, but lately I've seen a lot of craziness blaming Muslims for the dark ages and other such things. As well as people claiming Christianity isn't anti science. So here is a spot to list all the great thinkers from history that were murdered by what ever church killed them.

First off Christianity is not Catholicism. Catholics I believe killed the most people, it's upwards of 20 to 30 million. Islam doesn't seem to keep good records, but I'd have to say between all the religious muslim warlords, they are probably close to the same.

From a political murder/genocide standpoint, look HERE as this is a rough start. Here is another LINK for communism.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/7.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Islam... any contribution to science via Islam was "war booty" from Mohammad's Jihad and spread of Islam.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

A special star for you understanding more than most. Del Close and L Ron, were working Heap Big Magic...mind you, just like everyone else, they mistook "effects" as causes and "lies" as truths.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join