It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good sources MSM & otherwise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Can we start a running list of known reliable sources? I realized how out of touch I am with various paper names - with the explosion of the internet there are a lot more gossip rags and a proliferation of unchecked facts printed without a second glance. Which sites are tabloids and/or propaganda mills? Do we have any MSM that have kept their reporting pretty clean?

I use IBtimes and UPI a lot and keep an eye on Exaro News and my local paper.

RT is a propaganda outfit but if you can read between the lines they seem ok for anywhere that's NOT Russia or anyone they are butting heads with. Heh

I have trouble keeping the UK outlets straight. From what I can tell Huffington Post is mostly a tabloid and people mistrust the BBC.

Otherwise I'm a pretty clean slate and it's annoying to have to triple-check every source from Google News to make sure it's not a satire site.
edit on 7-3-2015 by FireflyStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars

I don't know if we're allowed to post commercial sites on ATS.

I have one site I use exclusively. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

With MSM all saying the same scripts, there are now some excellent alternative sites (but they lack the big bucks, so are limited in their research somewhat, but are still able to do really good stuff despite of that).

Here`s a list of the best ones :

Global Research (media selection + good own pieces)

The Unz Review (media selection)

Truth in Media (Ben Swann)

Zero Hedge (lots of good economy news + alternative news)

Paul Craig Roberts (excellent own pieces and a very good selection from other pieces)

The Intercept (Glenn Greenwald (Snowden))

Consortiumnews (Robert Parry)

The Corbett Report (excellent open source investigations)

Washington's Blog (excellent own pieces and some other pieces)

Information Clearing House

Liberty Blitzkrieg (mostly about American police state)

The Land Destroyer Report

Fort Russ (translated Russian news and from other parts of the World, but mostly Russian and some Ukrainian)

New Eastern Outlook (Russian, good background stories from time to time)

Oriental Review (same as above)

The Saker (pro-Russian analyst, but gives from time to time really interesting insights)

Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten (German language, economy + other news)

edit on 7 3 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Xinhua is pretty good for things outside of China...

But possibly biased when it comes to news inside China...

However not really supportive of anyone outside, including China's allies...
Pretty neutral perspective.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I only watch my state owned CBC if I watch news at all.

In the end, ATS is where any story from any source gets vetted. I take HUGE interest in any topic that is shunned on ATS.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

RT is a propaganda outfit but if you can read between the lines they seem ok for anywhere that's NOT Russia or anyone they are butting heads with

Russia Today is probably the best media outlet going today and as opposed to many western media groups, RT do actually research and report. You have a slight hint of a point regarding stories about the Kremlin etc. but I still wouldn't say it's propaganda, they just really avoid over-criticism of the government.

And what does the U.K. have:

Sky News, run by Rupert Murdoch with it's own agenda, no insightful stories to speak of. The BBC which is basically state TV, the Referendum proved that.

Always use multiple sources and ALWAYS be aware of how the article is worded, which is often the best sign of determining the agenda (should there be one with the particular story).

And also, big recommendation for Democracy Now, keep following this site:

www.democracynow.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FireflyStars
Can we start a running list of known reliable sources? I realized how out of touch I am with various paper names - with the explosion of the internet there are a lot more gossip rags and a proliferation of unchecked facts printed without a second glance. Which sites are tabloids and/or propaganda mills? Do we have any MSM that have kept their reporting pretty clean?

I use IBtimes and UPI a lot and keep an eye on Exaro News and my local paper.

RT is a propaganda outfit but if you can read between the lines they seem ok for anywhere that's NOT Russia or anyone they are butting heads with. Heh

I have trouble keeping the UK outlets straight. From what I can tell Huffington Post is mostly a tabloid and people mistrust the BBC.

Otherwise I'm a pretty clean slate and it's annoying to have to triple-check every source from Google News to make sure it's not a satire site.

Here is a hint to finding the truth in media. Just watch Fox news, and then watch MSNBC news. When they BOTH align EXACTLY the same on certain topics, you can be ASSURED that they are towing the nonsense the puppet masters are wanting us to believe. Which is a complete LIE.

Like when they BOTH told us NAFTA was good. Or when they told us to believe the official story of 911. Or when they told us to believe the lone assasin nonsense of the JFK murder. And on and on.

When they squabble about silly nonsense in competition with each other (Fox of the Right, and MSNBC of the Left) it is CONTROLLED OPPOSITION and just a distraction. When they both come together, that is your sign to believe the OPPOSITE!!!!!!
edit on 8-3-2015 by DenyTreason because: color

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Democracy Now EXPOSED! Soros & Rockefeller Funded N.W.O. Propaganda

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Haha YouTube video, must be true

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

...so everything is fake at YouTube ?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

...so everything is fake at YouTube ?

A great deal but it's neither here nor there, I have my opinions as you have yours

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the great list of your favorite sources. I'm looking forward to trying them out when it's a rabid news-reading day for me

I hope the list helps other people and that more will continue to post!

new topics

top topics

join