It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Discovered Another Earth With Probable Life!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Exciting times! Probable implausible? Only if Drake was a quackmatican...

This thread is dedicated to the Passing of Leonard Nimoy, thanks George Takei for sharing this with me
Sabai!

NASA has discovered another Earth-like planet orbiting a nearby star within the habitable zone using the Kepler Space Telescope. Labeled as Kepler-186f, it is about 500 light-years away from us in the Cygnus constellation.

Yes, 500 light years... but if we but those silly swords away and realize the plow shear perhaps not so distant in such a fertile field, when our billions of opposable thumbs are all working together.

“The habitable zone” has also been referred to as the goldilocks zone. This zone is the region around a star, within which planets with proper atmospheric pressure are capable of supporting liquid water on their surfaces. It is estimated that there are at least 40 billion Earth-sized planets within the Milky Way, but this planet they’ve just discovered is the first Earth-sized planet to be discovered in the goldilocks zone of another nearby star.

Implications?
Besides Kepler-186f, there is also 4 other planets that orbit the same star. This means that if the nearby star is similar to our Sun, the potential for life on Kepler-186f exponentially increases.

“We know of just one planet where life exists – Earth. When we search for life outside our solar system we focus on finding planets with characteristics that mimic that of Earth,” said Elisa Quintana, research scientist at the SETI Institute at NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., and lead author of the paper published in the journal Science. “Finding a habitable zone planet comparable to Earth in size is a major step forward.”

edit on 6-3-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: v= equals bad link
Thank you Nerbot!

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

I just think about all of the ancient stories and mythologies like Vedic texts and all of the other sanskrit stories worldwide and think to myself....

This really isn't a surprise and in fact has probably already been known before in the past but in western culture we refuse to accept any evidence but our own as the truth or possibility of the truth.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Sorted embedded clip for ya.

Drake's Equation is so out of date and now seems obsolete. Me thinks a few more factors need to be added (constantly).
edit on 6/3/2015 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think your vid link is messed-up may wanna edit and repost.
edit on 6-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I don't see were the "probable" life comes in.

There are still many factors apart form being in the Goldilocks zones and being the right size.

Its a candidate for life. Sure enough.

But unless we get data on exact chemical composition of its atmosphere ect there no way to know.

It could just be a large barren rock, a volcanic hell hole or a irradiated mess.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Life is not 'probable' there. It's statistically un-probable. Highly so.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Where does it say anything about that planet probably having life?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Basically this logic of seeking for another life-supporting planet is bias and flawed IMO.

"Look for planets that look like earth, hold water en mass, and carbon-5-based beings with semi or more intelligence.

Your looking for only what you belive humans can be supported, in terms of planetary environment.

God forbid their may be beings made of different biology systems and chemicals/elements. Who could survive or FLOURISH in enviromental conditions Man cannot.

That # is just scary and unbelievable!

Regardless of the flaw and bias search, it's great that earth is not the only planet like itself in yhe entire universe creation. But I had a feeling all along

link   
a reply to: onequestion

I have a personal theory that life is way more vast than Drakes numbers crunched...

Considering the simple sugars found in space are a form of DNA like life giving rain, material hops from collisions moons rocks and mars rocks here. The coldness of space a cryogenic freeze of sorts as they travel like spermiogenesis through the universe, seeding eggs or planets waiting to wake up. This is nothing new, but as we drift closer to our own sun over time and through space a sun spot an old planet could make as one further out drifts into the habitable zone... we are talking about colonizing Mars as our own civilization is ideologically falling apart... due to silly differences of opinion not fact.

The old texts a map from Venus that once was an Earth poisonous with greenhouse gasses? How many precarious civilizations, before we set our sights further than our own Goldilocks zone and stop this madness? Who knows? Who Knows?

In a universe with no beginning and no end... if we cannot be alive to see it, perhaps awake we will to it.

link   

originally posted by: TheBlackDog

The title

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Sorted embedded clip for ya.

Drake's Equation is so out of date and now seems obsolete. Me thinks a few more factors need to be added (constantly).

Thanks I have the V= that's probably the issue
I agree with exo and dwarf planets in the mix... many have no idea how many planets are currently in our solar system.
If you say 9 what have you been doing people?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Let me see, how long ago did we send that voyager out that is just exiting our solar system? Say we now could triple the speed safely so we can dodge some little space rocks that are out there roaming around. So it will only take us five years to exit our solar system. It will take us twenty years to build a self sufficient huge space craft that can have a whole ecosystem in it and it won't need supplies. It will have to be sent part by part into orbit.

Then there is a cost, it will be borrowed money I am sure so if everyone just pitches in a hundred bucks a year, even the poor and children, we can easily come up with the money. But wait, the corporations can fund this, they will just raise our prices, so it will now cost us a hundred fifty bucks a year but we will not be paying taxes anyway.

Let's just send the aliens and invitation and let them come and visit us. Let them work their tails off paying for it, we don't have tails. Although I am interested in knowing for sure there is life elsewhere, I do not feel like paying for this knowledge for many years. The chances of their being life on another planet out there is one hundred percent. The chances of there being an intelligent race out there is also one hundred percent. The chances of ordinary working people paying for this so we can build a big space ship to go there is one hundred percent. Remember, corporations do not go broke, if they donate to these projects they raise their prices and they work on a profit margin, if they donate a buck they increase costs by a buck ten.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Please do not shoot the messenger... this is news. Save your opposable bias for religion this is science... no one is saying treat this as facts until they are all in... Good day! But by all means... discuss!

edit on 6-3-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The title

Gee thanks for that.
Your title says it but where does it say probable life in the video?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

All planets within the boundaries of Goldilocks zones are considered as probably having life. IMO

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The title

Gee thanks for that.
Your title says it but where does it say probable life in the video?

Full Definition of PROBABLE

1 supported by evidence strong enough to establish presumption but not proof
2 establishing a probability
3 likely to be or become true or real

I know which extreme you are coming from... though I walk the middle I look on the brightside of life but am careful to that which I turn my back.

Synonyms
credible, creditable, likely, plausible, presumptive, believable
Antonyms
far-fetched, implausible, improbable, incredible, unbelievable, unlikely, implausible

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Oh my!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It will take us twenty years to build a self sufficient huge space craft that can have a whole ecosystem in it and it won't need supplies.

We already have one of those. We call it "Earth."

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
My spider senses are tingling.

oh look we found a planet that might support life.

oh look we just discovered a propulsion system to get us to said planet.

Hey! It already has a top secret US base on it.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Oh my!

Indeed, your "Id like to introduce to you a new species of animal plant & insect" footer leads to broken music... perhaps tis the same as my earlier "V=" that nerbot was kind enough to point out.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join