It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Considers 'Baby Boxes' To Allow Moms To Abandon Infants Safely

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — On the outside, the metal box looks like an oversized bread container. But what's inside could save an abandoned newborn's life.

The box is actually a newborn incubator, or baby box, and it could be showing up soon at Indiana hospitals, fire stations, churches and selected nonprofits under legislation that would give mothers in crisis a way to surrender their children safely and anonymously.

Are you kidding me at a loss for words...

Save the Abandoned Babies Foundation in Chicago, said safe haven laws have resulted in more than 2,800 safe surrenders since 1999. But more than 1,400 other children have been found illegally abandoned, nearly two-thirds of whom died.

Its really sad that this happens in the quantities that it does...

link to article

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Fire Stations have had them for decades.

Better than exposing them for sure.

link   
A city I lived in installed one of these. It's terrible that this happened, but the truth is that it was used. Better the baby be abandoned in a way that would ensure it was taken care of. Without this option a dumpster can get used which of course is worse.

link   
It may sound cold but it's better than a baby winding up in a dumpster. At least this way the kid has a chance at a better life.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
With all the goverment programs that are offered there should be no reason for these. But if they are being used then they should be there for the child's sake..... right next to a box full of diy spaying kits.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
With all the goverment programs that are offered there should be no reason for these. But if they are being used then they should be there for the child's sake..... right next to a box full of diy spaying kits.

Exactly why are babies beeing abandoned...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am sorry but what?!!! Talk about enabling, why not just make homemade abortion kits or set a criminal limit on age for mistreatment? How about "it's ok to kill a kid as long as it can't talk"...OMG. I mean come on, I am no religious person, but at some point shouldn't we just look at the issue instead of trying the quick fix?
Here's a thought, right off the top of my head: Let's destigmatise the whole idea of a parent giving up their child. Let's just say ok, you are not in a position medically, economically, psychologically to look after this chid, guess what? We will take care of it. No problem. There are so many people in the world who would give their eye teeth to have a child and can't that the whole idea of having to furtively give up a child is horrific. Or am I wrong here?
edit on 2-3-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Better not hear even one pro-life person complain about the cost of these programs.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It's sad that things like this ever even have to be considered, but it's reality, and it's not going to change anytime soon. If someone has made the conscious decision that they are going to 'give up' their child, then chances are they are going to do so by whatever means are available. I'm glad such 'boxes' exist. Any child put in one would have much, much better chances of surviving and being part of a loving family than children who are abandoned in other ways....

As sad of a reflection they may be of our society, I'm sure things like this have already saved many childrens' lives, and if more were available (within reason, of course), I'm sure many more lives would be saved.
edit on 3/3/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
They're just considering it?

Why isn't it already in place?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
They're just considering it?

Why isn't it already in place?

In many places, if not most, such things are already in place, but in very limited numbers.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886

originally posted by: ghostrager

Exactly why are babies beeing abandoned...

I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are mothers abandoning babies.
A 14 year old who has hidden a pregnancy
A drug addicted mother who can't take care of a child
We live in a world where ugly things happen. It's sad but sadder still is a child with a mother who doesn't want it.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
We already have that. It's called legal adoption. Happens every day. a reply to: Jonjonj

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
We adopted our daughter. She was abandoned at two days old on a bus in the middle of nowhere by her birth family. She was fortunate that someone found her before she died of exposure or thirst or hunger. 'Drop boxes' at hospitals for babies are a very good idea. The ones I saw in South America were turnstiles where the baby was put inside a big drum like thing and it was turned like a revolving door so that people on the other side would pick up the baby and take care of him or her.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yea its sad the one soft spot in my heart is for defenseless babies...a reply to: AutumnWitch657

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Or am I wrong here?

I think you are wrong.

If they really decided to install so many baby boxes it only means one thing - baby's are being abandoned there in large numbers and often die.

We can talk about it, we can philosophize, we can agree or not but in the end a baby box saves a baby's life and our words and opinions are meaningless. C'est la vie.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I have two of my own wife brought up adopting a child im thinking bout it ...a reply to: FlyersFan

edit on 3-3-2015 by ATF1886 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

two words. teach contraception.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I agree but some people dont wanna hear that noise...a reply to: th3dudeabides

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
It may sound cold but it's better than a baby winding up in a dumpster. At least this way the kid has a chance at a better life.

In light of the recent paedophile activities involving MP's (allegedly), cops, and local authorities, which looks like it could be a global problem, I would consider how abandoning a child to any authority might be condemning it to a life of sadistic sexual abuse and torture.

The authorities would be the last people I would trust with the welfare of a child.

These baby-bins might be a nefarious plan for a free, no-questions-asked, supply of unwanted kids for the elite and influential to abuse.

<<   2 >>

join