It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a TV show could control your lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A strange yet interesting experiment in immersive TV programming tech.

Syfy channel experiments with syncing Philips Hue smart lights with scenes in 12 Monkeys to immerse the viewers in action beyond the TV screen.
I think the idea is kinda silly maybe? Who knows It may be just what the atmosphere ordered!
Who out there own/uses these light bulbs?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's a really cool concept. Not something I would use all the time, but would be fun with movies.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw

Leave it out-
I have speakers, long forgotten and buried that disconcertingly come alive during tense films - shredding my frayed nerves even further

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

I may be wrong, but what if the offset in shadows and contrast ratios in the room had the opposite effect? Perhaps it would be like mellow music vs hard rock on the mind.
edit on 28-2-2015 by ttropia because: spelling error

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

I can imagine..as it goes I have an immodest system and screen.. - I dont think I would even notice the room lights do a fandango

For some reason I was thinking of the curtains opening and closing too

edit on 28-2-2015 by Borisbanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It would feel like monster house. This could get pee you pants scary depending on the movie it accompanied.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

I like the curtain idea. I was thinking of an outside windows with variable translucency. With the TV or with your sleep schedule. Simulate sunrise with outside lighting at 2PM.

I see side view projection with scene of lightning right before the tension breaks. Blood pressure pill please.
edit on 28-2-2015 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

I use candles so I hope no one or any tv show can control them!!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
i have one of those smart tvs and it sort of does the opposite,the tv changes its lighting settings depending on ambient light either from lights in the room or sun hitting the screen. it tripped me out at first and i thought my tv was breaking but i guess its normal.

from reading this link www.hollywoodreporter.com... this would control the brightness in the room depending on what your watching correct?
edit on 28-2-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
i have one of those smart tvs and it sort of does the opposite,the tv changes its lighting settings depending on ambient light either from lights in the room or sun hitting the screen. it tripped me out at first and i thought my tv was breaking but i guess its normal.

from reading this link www.hollywoodreporter.com... this would control the brightness in the room depending on what your watching correct?

Correct. I imagine something like the lights flickering During a storm scene or earthquake. Getting dimmer as the sun goes down and brighter at dawn ..But alas I have no bulbs or really the motivation ..lol

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think lights flickering or changing intensity and colour would be really distracting and would drive me batty. I still feel the best way to immerse yourself in a movie is to have a dark room i.e. no lighting, and be close enough to the screen so the edges of the film are in a bit from your periferal vision so you can still see the edges details. Surround sound or surround sound headphones add to the immersion effect.

new topics

top topics

join