It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your actions are more important than your beliefs (Matthew 5:9)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Not those who wish to hurt others and pray for forgiveness but those who actually practice keeping peace with others instead of violence and trouble.

Mistakes will happen. Lessons can be learned from past actions but it's important to stay on The Path and continue growing in Love and Peace

Saying "I can just ask for forgiveness"
"there is no free will"
or
"everything even evil is one with God"

will not help you improve and grow in the Spirit but seeing Peace as good and living through Peace as much as possible is assured to keep you close with God The Highest.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
100% true. Zero religion needed to be a good person. Just good parenting and community. Religion just gives people justification to try and control others.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

isnt good parenting and good community the same thing ..............good rules that form you into good person
where do you think most of the laws that make good community and a good parent come from .
Almost all the laws in the judicial system come from the laws of moses even the 7 yrs bad credit thing

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

yes but what gets you into heaven

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Morals that religion envokes are an important part of society and good parenting. The reasons we follow (even in law) the ten commandments because it makes us better people.

The title of this post is true, Actions speak louder than beliefs.

However, religion brings a sense of community to what would be otherwise a bunch of selfish misfits. No longer are we bands of small tribes and family groups. Now we are a sea of strangers that have little to no common ground. If used properly religion helps bring that sea together in the hope of better man kind.

The important thing to remember about religion is, it's fallable like anything man made. Don't obey blindly, but review what is said and take it all with a grain of salt. Follow the wisdom, live the life and walk the walk. Thumping bibles means nothing if you don't follow it yourself.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

What I've always wondered. If this is true, why do we need religion in the first place? If all you need to do to get into heaven is be peaceful. Why adhere to any dogma to begin with?
edit on 27-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I agree with the title of your thread. Beliefs are just mind forms that don't necessarily affect anyone else, whereas actions obviously affect one's apparently external circumstance and usually others.

The belief that all evil arises in and is one with God and therefore justifies immoral acts is just more bs, even a form of insanity or delusion. If one is really surrendered to the Divine and confesses feeling at one with all, then an inherent morality comes to the forefront.

Recognizing one's prior unity with all arising in the Divine, yields true selflessness and love. Such a disposition is incapable of any such evil.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The problem with threads like this is, you're taking one verse and making it the whole message of the scripture. Your actions are NOT more important than your beliefs and I can counter your whole OP with one line, also from the same book, which meaning you just made up.

"No man comes to the father but through me". Jesus. You know what this means right? It's your FAITH, you're saved by grace, not by your actions. Though your actions reflect who you are as a person of God. People make mistakes, and to a perfect God mistakes are fatal. That's why we're given repentance which is also a none physical action. If you don't believe in the son of God you're not going to be saved, how is that physical?

You'd be wise to remember what the prophets saw our 'works' as.

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

"No man comes to the father but through me". Jesus.

Actually that quote is all about action. Jesus' two commandments to love God and others as oneself are all about action as well - not just belief. Recognizing Jesus as love allows one, through Jesus, to recognize God and to live a life truly founded on that real recognition, not just based on some belief that may come and go.
edit on 2/27/2015 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Not those who wish to hurt others and pray for forgiveness but those who actually practice keeping peace with others instead of violence and trouble.

Hi! I really like this thread and agree with you completely.S&F. Even though I'm not religious, I believe that how I treat, love and accept my fellow man is far more important than my beliefs about religion, creation, an afterlife, etc. My beliefs are personal to me. How I treat others creates positive energy and adds to the fabric of good will in the world.

originally posted by: Silenceisalie
Morals that religion envokes are an important part of society and good parenting.

Religion doesn't evoke morals. Humanity does. Religion got these ideas somewhere. It's simply knowing what's right and wrong. We don't need religion to tell us these things. Knowing that hurting others is wrong comes from the fact that we're human beings, and as such, we have empathy and compassion. Whether we choose to live up to these morals is up to each individual, religious or not.

However, religion brings a sense of community to what would be otherwise a bunch of selfish misfits. No longer are we bands of small tribes and family groups. Now we are a sea of strangers that have little to no common ground. If used properly religion helps bring that sea together in the hope of better man kind.

Religion isn't necessary for that. We are a community of human beings, with all the commonality that that entails. We can all be brothers and sisters, love one another, treat each other as we want to be treated, and help those in need without religion. Our humanity (the fact that we're human) and the experience love is all that's necessary.
edit on 2/27/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

You'd be wise to remember what the prophets saw our 'works' as.

You'd be wise too, to listen to your God,

Genesis 4
Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

your prophets:

Ezekiel 33
9"But if you on your part warn a wicked man to turn from his way and he does not turn from his way, he will die in his iniquity, but you have delivered your life.

and your Christ:

Luke 10
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The modern christian had forgotten the caveat Jesus gave for forgiveness. REPENTANCE.

Repent
verb (used without object)
to feel sorry, self-reproachful, or contrite for past conduct; regret or be conscience-stricken about a past action, attitude, etc. (often followed by of):
He repented after his thoughtless act.
to feel such sorrow for sin or fault as to be disposed to change one's life for the better; be penitent.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Exactly, they can from a primitive form a gov rule. Religion. Time to step out of the cave. Be good or go to hell. Be good or Santa Claus won't come.a reply to: sweets777

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yeah but using make believe thing to control people. Is controlling them with lies. Be good or Santa Claus wont come. How do gain respect with that? Control with lies.Should a parent or gov not be honest with a child or citizen if they want them to respect and follow their rules? a reply to: Silenceisalie

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777

yes but what gets you into heaven

Doing God's Will, which means being a child of God, which means being a peacenaker; but I know others who don't want to practice being merciful like the Heavenly Father is merciful to be as his children will disagree.

Who would've thought the religion centered around Jesus would be promoting "anything goes" since Jesus is already a human blood sacrifice for all wrongdoings (and of course I'm not saying all "christians" believe in the faith alone belief).

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
“By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.”
― Adolf Hitler

“But the most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Here, as so often in this world, persistence is the first and most important requirement for success.”
― Adolf Hitler

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The beauty of free will is that you can't control people, or should I say that you can only be controlled if you want to be controlled.

The rules are for the greater good, not for control.

As for your question, you explain things to children in ways they can understand and somethings you can't explain. That is where God comes in, and always has. While I spend a great deal of time wavering in the existence of a deity, I won't tell others (especially children) that one does not exist because it's one of those things that can't ever be proven or disproven.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Religion doesn't evoke morals. Humanity does. Religion got these ideas somewhere. It's simply knowing what's right and wrong. We don't need religion to tell us these things. Knowing that hurting others is wrong comes from the fact that we're human beings, and as such, we have empathy and compassion. Whether we choose to live up to these morals is up to each individual, religious or not.

Religion holds people accountable in a larger way than just "You'll hurt someone." I'm sure you realized this, but it needs to be said. Most of the people I've come across are selfish, self absorbed, and self serving. Empathy and compassion is not a common trait, which makes sense in the survival of the fittest. The nice guy is the one who gets taken advantage of, while the jerk gets what he wants. The fear of more serious consequences like eternal damnation (which lets face it, is scarier than the thought of 5-10 in prison where there are 3 meals a day, tv, and other amenities that make that time less unpleasant) can be a pretty efficient motivator. Where empathy and compassion fails, fear can kick in.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If you can't explain something. I don't know would be the best response and respect will be earned. Follow up by helping them find the answer. Teach them how to find facts. Don't just tell them. Teaching is one thing. Showing them how to learn or find what they are looking for is a far more valuable asset. Socrates method. a reply to: Silenceisalie

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

there are lots of religions...................... first of all imagine if if the asian people had no religion were ruthless
the world would be screwed

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join