It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Can't Be Seen from Outer Space

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GaryN

Seriously are YOU still continuing your BS re what can and cant be seen in space !

Here is the image you linked to re the Earth & Moon

Now I have edited it quickly and crudely to expose for the Moon and not the Earth!!!!
Did it occur to you that the picture would be edited ?

It's all about exposure we cant see photons directly what happens they are detected by the LIGHT SENSITIVE cells of our eyes which generates a signal which the brain forms the picture from, it's not your eyes that see they just gather the light like a camera lens.

Digital camera light sensitive cells generate a signal processed by the camera chip (brain) to form a picture sound familiar.

No atmosphere is required .

Astronaut in the vacuum chamber at NASA taken by another in the vacuum chamber no atmosphere

As for your other claims when looking at pictures they will have been exposed for the main object so other objects may not be exposed correctly.

As for you Hubble one pixel star comment more BS from Canada

One pixel stars ?

Want to EXPLAIN the larger stars here ?

The Sun on the surface of the Moon when the camera was pointed directly at was overexposed

I have shown you this before but here we go

Exposed to show the bulb!!!!

Not exposed to show the bulb

Try another subject everyone is tired of your BS!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

Your arrogance is sickening. No further responses till you learn to keep a civil tongue in you head.

Works for me. I'm tired of pussyfooting around and humouring you. What's sickening is your total inability to understand simple scientific concepts, your constant moving of goalposts when confronted with everything you claim doesn't exist that proves you wrong, and your refusal to admit a simple fact: you're wrong.

Still waiting for your experimental design by the way.

You'll not feel like answering this question then - I've alluded to it before but it passed you by:

The Apollo CSM and LM pressure was 1/5 that of Earth. Got that? It has 20% of the atmosphere on Earth - fewer molecules of air. So how come they could see more stars in space than on Earth? If you require molecules of air to see stars, how come fewer molecules of air lets you see more stars?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

Your arrogance is sickening. No further responses till you learn to keep a civil tongue in you head.

GOOD
We will hold you to that

edit on 17-3-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of Flat-Earth Believers.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

This caught me off guard with a totally unexpected emotion... Its a feeling of longing to 'be out there', like a homesick feeling. Its totally bittersweet, and filled with a sense of familiarity.

WTF?

Anyway, wanted to share, as it is a profundly strong feeling.

Carry on!

edit on 17-3-2015 by Psykotik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Some quotes from astronauts of many nations from my copy of 'The home planet' edited by Kevin W Kelley,

www.amazon.co.uk...

all of whom saw stars in space:

Looking outward into the blackness of space, sprinkled with the glory of a universe of lights, I saw majesty, but no welcome - Loren Acton

I squeezed back into the intermediate module. Yuri Romanenko has been protecting me all the time from the inside, holding my legs so that I wouldn't float off into space. Then he said 'How come I'm stuck in here looking at the Earth and the stars through glass? Let me see what they look like out there' - Georgi Grechko

At first we saw stars, then the sun entered the spacecraft - Zhugderdemidiyn Gurragcha

We entered the shadow...No moon, only stars, bright and far away. - Valeri Ryumin

The way you find the Earth in the dark is to track the stars until the stars stop. When the stars stop, that's the Earth blocking their light. - Joseph Allen

You see the sun come around every so often as you rotate the spacecraft. Then you see the moon coming around, so through the spacecraft you get this constant parade of darkness and stars on one side, and then the Earth swings through, and then the sun swings through, and then the moon swings through, and back to the star-filled skies again - Ed Mitchell

After 18 days of a space mission I was convinced that all visible space - the black emptiness, the white, unblinking stars and planets - was lifeless. Yuri Glazkov

When you look out the other way toward the stars you realise it's an awful long way to the next watering hole. - Loren Acton

During a space flight the psyche of each astronaut is reshaped. Having seen the sun, the stars, and our planet, you become more full of life. - Boris Volynov

On the return trip home, gazing through 240000 miles of space toward the stars and plane from which I had come, I suddenly experienced the universe as intelligent, loving and harmonious. - Ed Mitchell

edit on 17-3-2015 by onebigmonkey because: link to book

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
On the 50th anniversary of the first ever spacewalk, Alexei Leonov describes the view outside:

“the stars and the sun are everywhere… I did not expect all this.”

"The sky was black, jet black: the stars were bright but did not shimmer or twinkle; and the sun looked different - it had no halo and seemed to be welded into black velvet."

"There were more stars in the sky than I had expected. The sky was deep black, yet at the same time bright with sunlight."

(Various sources)
edit on 18-3-2015 by onebigmonkey because: extra quotation

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
After reading this thread i have few points to tell:
Eric dollard and few others that promote electric/plasma universe claim that stars and sun arent visible in freespace(with the eyebalss in the specific spectrum) .
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
EVERYTHING Is Invisible In Space In The Visible Spectrum
Now im not an expert but from what i understand from dollard lectures videos sun and stars are emiting primordial energy wich cant be seen in visible spectrum and that light we see on earth is secondary energy and it bounce or is reflected by matter.Also Nicola Tesla said something like that:" Black is the true face of light" and maybe this was a tip for us how universe works who knows....
Even Apolo 11 astronauts said they could not see stars without optics but they could see sun,than later on other astronauts said they could see clearly beautifull stars in deep space so to me this looks fishy and controversial to say at least.I also think that Nasa knows alot more than what is released to the general public for unknown reasons.Also what bothered me most in this thread is this debunkers like Onebigmonkey who thinks he knows everything regarding universe and people are too dumb,but for me is very obvious that hes either disinfo or troll or both.
This is my 1st post on ATS and probably last one.I am not native english speaker so ill apologize for any gramatical errors that i made.
edit on 22-5-2015 by Donttrustnasa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Here's a recent photo taken from the ISS, using a Nikon D4 camera: eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

You can see stars well above the Earth's atmosphere.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

You can see stars well above the Earth's atmosphere.

I have illustrated the simple geometry of viewing from the Cupola. All views with the Earth present will be looking through the atmosphere, thinner than the atmosphere we look through when viewing stars from Earth, but the sight-line is much longer, and sufficient to make the stars visible. They have to look directly away from Earth to prove star visibility without an atmosphere, but even at ISS altitude, there is a little atmosphere, so a long enough exposure with a sensitive camera might show some, but that does not mean they would be naked eye visible. Only EVA astronauts who go topside can answer that question, and none have mentioned it.
Here is an screen capture from Celestia for 21 Feb this year, when there were 2 ISS EVA astronauts topside, surely a view worth noting, but no mention, and the view of planets, the Moon, or even the Sun, looking into deep space, has ever been mentioned by EVA astronauts.
www3.telus.net...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GaryN

The Moon and the Sun have been photographed when directly (or almost directly) above the ISS, you have seen such images posted in response to your posts in this forum. Mars or Venus would just appear as bright "stars", and when you're in bright sunlight and have your sun visor down, they wouldn't be that noticeable. One needs to be on the night side of Earth (and with exterior lights shut off) to truly appreciate them. Many EVA photos show the ISS being brightly illuminated by the Sun when it was high above it.

~~~

NASA have just posted a photo from the same sequence as the photo above: www.facebook.com...

Normally, the reason you can't see stars in high oblique photos from the space station is that the shutter speed is too fast. Fast shutter speeds are used to eliminate blur from the motion of the orbiting outpost. One exception to this rule is when astronauts use camera settings specifically to photograph features such as the Aurora and the Milky Way. The crew must use slower shutter speeds in order to capture the light of the aurora. In these cases stars also show up in the photograph. The photos are also slightly blurry because very long exposures are needed to capture these dim nighttime features.

edit on 24-5-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Donttrustnasa

Even Apolo 11 astronauts said they could not see stars without optics but they could see sun,than later on other astronauts said they could see clearly beautifull stars in deep space so to me this looks fishy and controversial to say at least.

Yiou need to read very carefully what the Apollo 11 astronauts said and the context in which they said it. It is not fishy, is not controversial. It is very simple.

I also think that Nasa knows alot more than what is released to the general public for unknown reasons.

You seem to think NASA are the only people doing space research or astronomy, or know anything about cameras. You are wrong.

Also what bothered me most in this thread is this debunkers like Onebigmonkey who thinks he knows everything regarding universe and people are too dumb,but for me is very obvious that hes either disinfo or troll or both.

I don't think I know everything, but I clearly know more than you. People in general aren't dumb, but it hasn't taken me long to form an opinion about you, because if you knew anything about me you would know that your ad hominem attack is as false as it is laughable. You seem incapable of realising that sometimes people disagree with you not because they are being asked to do so, or to annoy you, but because you are wrong - which you are.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: cooperton
a reply to: onebigmonkey

Did you even watch the video? In the first minute Neil says you can only see the sun and earth from the moon.

When Neil was on the Moon, the Sun was shining on the surface and everything on it, making it as bright as daytime here on Earth. He wouldn't have been able to see stars. The astronauts even had to wear tinted visors to shield their eyes from all that bright light.

Neil even mentions a time when the sun wass eclipsed when he was in cis-lunar space, yet he stands by his observation that the only thing visible to him was the sun and the earth. So the observation stands, Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, claims you cannot see stars from the moon, even when the sun is eclipsed.

But being in cislunar space is not the same as being on the Moon.

Others have claimed to seen stars, which makes this idStaven more thought-provoking.

Apollo astronauts claimed to have seen stars, and they used them for navigation in cislunar space. So why are you and GaryN ignoring that fact, but piggy-backing that single statement by Neil?

Further experimentation on angles and optics regarding star visibility would be interesting. I don't know how much more neutral I can get, but maybe consider other ideas before you start any chauvinistic ram-rodding

I'm sure there have been plenty of optical experimentation in space. Many robotic spacecraft have cameras that photograph stars for navigation.

If stars and other sources of light were not visible in space, it would have been made known to the academic circles, and through them to the rest of population. But it's easier and more attractive to maintain that there's some sort of global conspiracy about this on the part of the academia (and not a single person would have ever leaked the "truth"), isn't it?

Hows this for a thesis point: The stars are not visible when on (or in orbit of?) a planetary body with no atmosphere when near to the light-flooding effect of a System Star.
Discuss.
edit on 25-5-2015 by 5leepingWarrior because: Forgot a period.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
originally posted by: Donttrustnasa

"Even Apolo 11 astronauts said they could not see stars without optics but they could see sun,than later on other astronauts said they could see clearly beautifull stars in deep space so to me this looks fishy and controversial to say at least."

My mind is boggling at the fact that somebody could honestly say that. That is an example of common sense; to me, at least.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey
"There was a pie shaped section of the orbit where I was over the horizon from both the Earth and the sun and that made a huge difference in the universe. Instead of seeing 37 of the brightest stars, which were our navigation stars, I saw a sheet of light, hundreds of thousands of millions more stars than we can see from the Earth."

Al Worden - www.youtube.com...

According to the research on your website, Worden only spoke of "stars" once during his entire mission and that was 8 days into the mission. Wow! Worden must be clinically blind according to what the other astronauts said.

Apollo 15
00 01 21 18 CMP Looks like Aquarius coming up back there.
00 02 09 16 LMP Boy, that's - Look at that planet, how orange it is out there, Dave? Directly ahead
08 04 06 32 CMP Yes, there's quite a few stars out there, aren't there?
Source OBM's website

But then you have a bunch of other quotes, revisionist quotes, from web interviews with Al Worden and others excerpts from from a selected list of interviews & books of some 40 years after the actual event.

Are you sure that you looked at all the transcripts for Apollo 15? Did you carefully find every instance of the A15 crew mentioning stars? You seem to have done an Alt-F search of the transcript and found only one instance of the word "stars" for the entire mission transcript for Apollo 15.

Why was Worden so tight lipped about the stars & star fields during the mission but only elaborated on stars & star fields at the Apollo 15 technical debriefing? Was Worden being coached on what to say, or, what not to say?

But 40 years later (maybe he made a deal with NASA to get his envelopes back?) Worden is talking profusely about "a sheet of light, hundreds of thousands of millions more stars than we can see from the Earth." , "too many stars" , "When there are too many stars out there..." , "There was no end to the stars." , "I could seem them all to the limits of my eyesight." , "there were so many stars." , and the last quote , "There were so many stars in the field of view out the window that, in a way, it was a little difficult to find a constellation and to find the navigation stars."

BTW, OBM, I noticed that you only had two quotes from Frank Borman regarding the visibility of stars from space. I am very happy to give you your third quote from Borman here it is (You should add the new Borman comments from the Haldeman diaries to your tedious webpage. Borman has compared the pre-dawn sky of the Pacific ocean to the sky on the far side of the moon. )

Thursday and Friday, July 24-25, 1969
We crossed the dateline so one day covers two. This is the day men came back from the moon. After a sleepless night on the Arlington for me (my cabin was next to the radio shack and a banging door) we were up at 4:00 for 4:40 departure. It was beautiful on the flight deck, absolutely dark, millions of stars, plus the antenna lights on the ship.

Borman said it looked more like the sky on the back side of the moon than any he had ever seen on earth.

Source H.R. Haldeman, The Haldeman Diaries, p.75

Who has a Hasselblad and willing to travel to the Pacific Ocean in mid-July, park at the Apollo 11 splashdown point and take some nice pictures of the pre-dawn night sky? Haldeman described what he saw on the flight deck of the Arlington and Borman is not disagreeing with him, Borman even goes so far as to make the direct comparison to the back side of the moon. Let that comparison sink in to you for a few moments before formulating your response.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey
On the 50th anniversary of the first ever spacewalk, Alexei Leonov describes the view outside:

“the stars and the sun are everywhere… I did not expect all this.”

"The sky was black, jet black: the stars were bright but did not shimmer or twinkle; and the sun looked different - it had no halo and seemed to be welded into black velvet."

"There were more stars in the sky than I had expected. The sky was deep black, yet at the same time bright with sunlight."

(Various sources)

source please

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SayonaraJupiter
source please

www.tinyurl.com/n7w7ypv
edit on 25-5-2015 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
"We had been accustomed to see stars as blue; but we there saw them as of pure gold—they seemed to have been scattered on black velvet by a careless hand.
Leonov: They looked really bright, in fact almost red like pure gold."

All the stars were red/gold? I see quite a variety of colours out there, wonder why they were all red/gold? Good job OBM is here to answer that question, he knows everything!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SayonaraJupiter

According to the research on your website, Worden only spoke of "stars" once during his entire mission and that was 8 days into the mission. Wow! Worden must be clinically blind according to what the other astronauts said.

Apollo 15
00 01 21 18 CMP Looks like Aquarius coming up back there.
00 02 09 16 LMP Boy, that's - Look at that planet, how orange it is out there, Dave? Directly ahead
08 04 06 32 CMP Yes, there's quite a few stars out there, aren't there?
Source OBM's website

Is it a quote or not? Does he specifically refer to stars or not?

If you read the preamble to that section of my website you will note that I specifically exclude a number of types of references Apolo astronauts made to stars. As CMP, Worden made dozens of references to stars as navigation aids.

But then you have a bunch of other quotes, revisionist quotes, from web interviews with Al Worden and others excerpts from from a selected list of interviews & books of some 40 years after the actual event.

And? Are they quotes or not? Are they from astronauts referring to stars and planets or not? Drop the revisionist BS - I am changing nothing about what anyone has said, you are the one trying to deliberately put a different spin on what has been said.

Are you sure that you looked at all the transcripts for Apollo 15? Did you carefully find every instance of the A15 crew mentioning stars? You seem to have done an Alt-F search of the transcript and found only one instance of the word "stars" for the entire mission transcript for Apollo 15.

Yes. Have you? Read what I wrote up there. I also used a number of search terms. If you have found any more examples I'd be delighted to add them as yet more proof that astronauts referred to stars and planets ona regular basis outside the navigational context.

Why was Worden so tight lipped about the stars & star fields during the mission but only elaborated on stars & star fields at the Apollo 15 technical debriefing? Was Worden being coached on what to say, or, what not to say?

Now that is a fine example of revisionist work. You have taken documented fact and tried to put a deliberate spin on it that is not what was intended. Worden is not tight lipped nor is he coached what to say. Your interpretation is dishonest. He is a regular, and popular, public speaker. If you have questions for him I suggest you put some effort in and ask him yourself.

But 40 years later (maybe he made a deal with NASA to get his envelopes back?) Worden is talking profusely about "a sheet of light, hundreds of thousands of millions more stars than we can see from the Earth." , "too many stars" , "When there are too many stars out there..." , "There was no end to the stars." , "I could seem them all to the limits of my eyesight." , "there were so many stars." , and the last quote , "There were so many stars in the field of view out the window that, in a way, it was a little difficult to find a constellation and to find the navigation stars."

Yup, astronaut talks about stars, when so many claim they are banned from doing so. KInd of making my point for me there.

BTW, OBM, I noticed that you only had two quotes from Frank Borman regarding the visibility of stars from space. I am very happy to give you your third quote from Borman here it is (You should add the new Borman comments from the Haldeman diaries to your tedious webpage. Borman has compared the pre-dawn sky of the Pacific ocean to the sky on the far side of the moon. )

Thursday and Friday, July 24-25, 1969
We crossed the dateline so one day covers two. This is the day men came back from the moon. After a sleepless night on the Arlington for me (my cabin was next to the radio shack and a banging door) we were up at 4:00 for 4:40 departure. It was beautiful on the flight deck, absolutely dark, millions of stars, plus the antenna lights on the ship.

Borman said it looked more like the sky on the back side of the moon than any he had ever seen on earth.

Source H.R. Haldeman, The Haldeman Diaries, p.75

The 'tedious' page was put together specifically to refute the claims of morons who argue astronauts never mention stars. This claim is a lie. If it's boring it is in response to a boring and often repeated piece of conspiracy nonsense from people who have obviously never been outside.

You have clearly missed the point of the page, as it is the words of astronauts I want, not what someone else said they said

Who has a Hasselblad and willing to travel to the Pacific Ocean in mid-July, park at the Apollo 11 splashdown point and take some nice pictures of the pre-dawn night sky? Haldeman described what he saw on the flight deck of the Arlington and Borman is not disagreeing with him, Borman even goes so far as to make the direct comparison to the back side of the moon. Let that comparison sink in to you for a few moments before formulating your response.

Go outside with any camera you like and take a photograph of some stars. Get a grown up to help. Let me know how you get on. I would also suggest you read Borman's reported words carefully and figure out what he means, because he's making my point for me: The millions of stars look like the view from the far side of the moon. Where he went with Apollo 8.

Take a look at the rest of the site devoted to stellar photography and Apollo and see how many pictures there are taken by Hasselblads and Nikons in space.

Now go and troll someone else.
edit on 26-5-2015 by onebigmonkey because: additional point

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join