It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrology could help take pressure off NHS doctors, claims Conservative MP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

David Tredinnick said astrology, along with complementary medicine, could take pressure off NHS doctors, but acknowledged that any attempt to spend taxpayers’ money on consulting the stars would cause “a huge row”.

He criticised the BBC and TV scientist Professor Brian Cox for taking a “dismissive” approach to astrology, and accused opponents of being “racially prejudiced”.

The MP for Bosworth, in Leicestershire, who is a Capricorn and in 2010 paid back £755 he had claimed in expenses for software that used astrology to diagnose medical conditions, told Astrological Journal: “I do believe that astrology and complementary medicine would help take the huge pressure off doctors.

Astrology could help take pressure off NHS doctors, claims Conservative MP

I guess it is all part of the "war on science" or whatever - but why is it that it seems conservatives all over the world are at the forefront of pushing mythology, assertion and ignorance??

This guy is consistent - he believes in homeopathy and that blood does no clot under the full moon (for our American friends the term "clot" can also refer to what I think this guy is!!) - he also voted to have MP's finances not subject to the Official Information Act - and somehow he is on the Science and Technology Committee??!!

How does that work??

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Well now the election looms i hope his constituents see this and vote the idiot out.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Sadly it looks like the electorate votes fairly solidly conservative - it is up to the party to select their candidate and they could probably stand a stuffed badger and still win!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This guy...

Is off his f#ing rocker...

How did he get from scientists denying hokum, to calling them racist?

Tories...

They'll be the death of us!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Astrology......? Somebody call Miss Cleo.

Yeah, that'll take the pressure off doctors all right. If they convince people to sit home making natal charts and fiddling with tarot cards while their cancer festers, it'll be a great money saver!!

What the actual....

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Racist?

That is priceless, absolutely priceless! This coming from a representative of a party which does not believe that taxing the poor and giving tax breaks to the wealthy is a classist oppression tactic! This coming from a man who represents a party which just lost a member because his entitlement got the better of him!

Give me a bloody break!

The NHS needs to be cleansed of privatisation, funded according to its need, not according to some arbitrary amount that the government falsely believes is affordable, it needs its cost structure regulated so that companies may not charge it the obscene amount they do to supply it with basic things, like pharmaceutical products, equipment, uniforms, vehicles, and so on. It needs for the government to cut corruption within its departments to free up BILLIONS of wasted pounds at a contractual level, so that the cost of the NHS, and indeed the entire welfare system in this country, can be funded to the hilt, rather than cut, and cut and cut.

This whole country needs a kick in the arse, if morons like this fellow are being elected to public office. Shame on him, AND every bugger that voted for him.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
The NHS needs to be cleansed of privatisation, funded according to its need, not according to some arbitrary amount that the government falsely believes is affordable, it needs its cost structure regulated so that companies may not charge it the obscene amount they do to supply it with basic things, like pharmaceutical products, equipment, uniforms, vehicles, and so on.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Ah, fantastic!

I wonder sometimes, if the producers of Yes Minister were actually meant to make a comedy, and somewhere along the line just thought "sod it, the truth is funnier".

In all seriousness though, the very idea of a person who cannot set aside his spiritual beliefs in order to perform a role that he has been set, a role he performs on behalf of the British public as a whole, not just as an individual in and of himself, but as a spokesperson for his constituents as an MP, and for the nation as part of his work on the Science and Technology committee, frankly makes me want to spit acid.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Astrology is a science, one of humanities oldest. It's not a war on science, it's a reaction to scientism oppressing alternative views that would explain phenomena science simply hasn't been able to. As a hypothesis science does not cover all of our observations, so it simply dismisses these observations and these phenomena even though literally millions of people worldwide from all walks of life have experienced these things all throughout history.

To understand the theory of Astrology one first has to acknowledge the existence of hitherto by modern science unknown subtle energies and that our consciousness is involved in a reciprocal relationship with a responsive environment that could be described as living.

One example of this is the fact that certain professions have long acknowledged the effects of the Moon cycles on human behaviour.

It is unfortunate that modern scientists lack the vision to realize this, their pioneering predecessors certainly did as they were a bunch of mystics.

The truth is that modern science is faulty, it's foundations are shaky, it can not explain a whole range of phenomena that has been experienced, explored and painstakingly described(these are scientific traits) by legions of sages and wise men all throughout history. They want us to think that these geniuses were all just a bunch of deluded crackpots. These people basically invented science, they were the epitome of open minded free thinkers. And they would actually put esoteric techniques to the test, it seemingly really hasn't even crossed the mind of modern academia, they condemn it out of reflex without ever even exploring it. Modern science is arrogant and militant in condemning what it labels pseudoscience.

Quantum physics does touch on this but scientists and armchair skeptics deliberately avoid and attack any such comparisons even though the founders of quantum physics were thinking along those lines.

The future in science will blow the lid off these falsities and incorporate consciousness and revolutionary holistic theories, the holographic universe theory seems to be a step in this direction. It's even very probable that the world of black projects long ago embraced this truth since they comprehensively researched this during the Cold War. Then they officially shut these projects down, about as believable as them really stopping their mind control research, it just went dark. These truths are way too valuable as secrets, any Machiavellian "prince" worth his salt would know this. So easy when you're officialdom itself and everyone just takes your word for it.

Modern science is a whore and it can be manipulated and controlled when you control enough 'pillars of influence'.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
And I though it was only the USA that had woo woo dumb arse whack job politicians.

Vote MP dumb arse out! And exile him to the colony's to some deep south US state were he will fill more at home!
edit on 26-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

While I agree that the particular politician in question is most certainly a complete moron, and should not be left in control of anything more important than a teabag, I hardly think it is fair to poke fun at our American cousins, or indeed burden them with such a specimen. It was bad enough we sent Piers Morgan over there... that MUST have been a psyop to divide our nations against one another!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: crazyewok

While I agree that the particular politician in question is most certainly a complete moron, and should not be left in control of anything more important than a teabag, I hardly think it is fair to poke fun at our American cousins, or indeed burden them with such a specimen. It was bad enough we sent Piers Morgan over there... that MUST have been a psyop to divide our nations against one another!

I know I shouldn't be so mean

But this MP sounds more like some senator from backwardville Louisiana than a member of our parliament.

Piers Morgan was just us trolling the US

edit on 26-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
How do imbeciles like this guy ever get elected in the first place?
Oh yeah,its cause they all use a mix of BS and smarmy fake charm to hoodwink people.

I see it in the stars and magic tea leaves-this fool will be voted out of office soon.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

I guess it is all part of the "war on science" or whatever - but why is it that it seems conservatives all over the world are at the forefront of pushing mythology, assertion and ignorance??

Its about keeping as much money for themselves while encouraging "dumbing down" the population.
Wild fantasy and snake oil sales seems to be a booming trade right now.
While real healthcare is really expensive, snake oil makes a prophet, i mean profit.
I joke, it simply boils down to the conservatives want to cut every service, to they can give the money saved to the greedy bankers.
And while we are looking at the stars and blaming foreigners and the unemployed and the disabled for the state of the world, they continue to point at as all and laugh as they get away with the greatest crime of modern times. Possibly all time. The deification of a piece of paper called money.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy
It simply boils down to the conservatives want to cut every service, to they can give the money saved to the greedy bankers.
And while we are looking at the stars and blaming foreigners and the unemployed and the disabled for the state of the world, they continue to point at as all and laugh as they get away with the greatest crime of modern times. Possibly all time. The deification of a piece of paper called money.

Well said Brother.
What you speak of is called a Kleptocracy in any other land,over here its called the tories.

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief" and κράτος - kratos, "power, rule", hence "rule by thieves") is a form of political and government corruption where the government exists to increase the personal wealth and political power of its officials and the ruling class at the expense of the wider population, often with pretense of honest service.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

originally posted by: OneManArmy
It simply boils down to the conservatives want to cut every service, to they can give the money saved to the greedy bankers.

Well said Brother.
What you speak of is called a Kleptocracy in any other land,over here its called the tories.

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief" and κράτος - kratos, "power, rule", hence "rule by thieves") is a form of political and government corruption where the government exists to increase the personal wealth and political power of its officials and the ruling class at the expense of the wider population, often with pretense of honest service.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sound familiar?

We call it democracy, and free market economics.
You know when they use the word "free" in the title, that something is up.
Its about as free as the fed is federal, or a reserve.

edit on 20152America/Chicago02pm2pmThu, 26 Feb 2015 14:43:16 -06000215 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Given the position of Venus and Jupiter plus the moon phase, it appears his belief in Woo comes down to ignorance.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

To understand the theory of Astrology one first has to acknowledge the existence of hitherto by modern science unknown subtle energies and that our consciousness is involved in a reciprocal relationship with a responsive environment that could be described as living.

These "subtle energies" - how do you know they exist? Can you measure them ? Observe some effect etc.? Do you have any research to support their existence?
edit on 142508839202bFri, 27 Feb 2015 19:53:12 -0600pmth0000000200000012 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
Astrology is a science, one of humanities oldest.

Really? Hows that repeatability thing working for you then??

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: UmbraSumus

I've personally observed such energies though science doesn't currently seem to have the tools to detect them so it is understandable enough that it is generally viewed as a pseudoscience. It would be prudent however to recognise that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

The type of evidence one could glean about these things would not be the type of direct evidence that seems to govern the ontological process of most people. It comes with a package named "science is fallible" and a whole range of phenomena that science in its adolescence simply can not explain. Science will eventually have to grow up though.

Look, this guy is probably a moron but exercise some caution as you are young, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.

(Edit, yeah.. that is me being silly appropriating Plato)
edit on 28-2-2015 by TheLaughingGod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join