It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscar Winners 2015: complete List

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The show, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, aired live on ABC. “Birdman,” “Grand Budapest Hotel” and “Whiplash” came out of the event as big winners.

Oscar Winners 2015: complete List

I didn't watch the Oscars, since I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. But my jaw dropped this morning, when I read the winners, and other odd tidbits associated with the event.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 23-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
gma.yahoo.com...
EDWARD SNOWDEN'S GIRLFRIEND MAKES APPEARANCE AT OSCARS, WITH WINNERS OF DOCUMENTARY ABOUT SNOWDEN

news.yahoo.com...
NEIL PATRICK HARRIS APPEARS BRIEFLY IN ONLY UNDERWARE - MAKES JOKES ABOUT WINNER'S DRESS AND DEAD-BY-SUICIDE SON

www.hollywoodtake.com...
JOHN TRAVOLTA'S CREEPY BEHAVIOR WITH IDINA MENZEL AND SCARLETT JOHANSSON

www.thestar.com...
SEAN PENN MAKES "GREEN CARD" JOKE ABOUT OSCAR-WINNER ALEJANDRO INARRITU

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk... e-academy-awards-10063638.html

OSCARS 2015: THE CONTROVERSIAL, PREDICTABLE AND THE DOWNRIGHT BAFFLING - WHAT HAPPENED AT THE ACADEMY AWARDS?

www.newser.com...
SHORT-LIST OF OSCAR WINNERS - AND THEIR NEARLY-NUDE HOST

The general public's favorite, based on 2015 box office, was "American Sniper." Which won one Oscar - for Best Sound Editing.

www.boxofficemojo.com...
"AMERICAN SNIPER" - DOMESTIC TOTAL AT $319,607,000 AS OF FEB. 22, 2015
Which is possibly the total intake of all the other "winners" put together.

And Hollywood wonders why they are losing audience, and can't seem to "connect" with Middle America ...

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The overnight Viewership Ratings don't look too good either:

tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com...
2015 OSCARS TELECAST VIEWERS DOWN SHARPLY FROM 2014

It won the time period with 18-49 (year old adults) at a 10.3 adult rating. Which is down sharply in the same-age category from last year (2014) at 12.1

The viewership varied considerably over the many hours of Red Carpet and then the Oscars Live event. Ratings went from 4.6 to 8.3 for the Red Carpet Arrival Event (7-8:30P). The Oscars Live event started out at a 10.3 viewer rating - but ratings on-the-hour after that are not listed, and will probably be released later. (This shows how many viewers had been gained or lost, by the hour, during the entire televised event.)

edit on 23-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

The worst Academy Award show in decades and a dismal year for Hollywood in general.

Neil Patrick Harris was a complete 'fail'.

Best Picture, 'Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance' was a clear winner, not only for it's Best Cinematography and Best Director, but also, and predominantly, for the performances of it's actors which went completely unrecognized. Michael Keaton made Birdman the Best Picture that it clearly was, and the supporting cast, Emma Stone and Edward Norton, who were also nominated but snubbed, gave performances heads and shoulders above any of the other nominees.

Best Actor, Eddie Redmayne, is a one trick pony. He does a pretty good Stephen Hawkings impersonation, but for him to be awarded an Oscar for such a slim body of work is a travesty. Michael Keaton deserves an Oscar after a legendary career and I can't imagine how he could ever subject himself to another epic effort only to be snubbed like this again.

Best Screenplay is the biggest travesty of all and best summarizes the intellectual void that is Hollywood. The Imitation Game tells the story of British WWII codebreaker, Alan Turing who was persecuted for his homosexuality and committed suicide because of it.

The Screenwriter takes liberty after liberty, turning Turing from national hero into a treasonous coward who conceals the presence of a spy within British Intelligence, so as to maintain the secret of his own homosexuality.

The Imitation Game's flaws are many and glaring to any student of history, but the shots of the submerged German U-Boat 'Wolf Pack' turning in unison like a school of mackerel was absolutely idiotic.

Oh, and it was Turing, according to the Imitation Game writer, that not only singlehandedly invented the first computer but was also such a brilliant military strategist that he instructs Churchill to NOT warn the convoy of it's impending ambush for fear of revealing the existence of the code breakers.

Bosh.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The entertainment Industrial complex is the epitome of evil & needs to be eradicated.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why would anyone want to see a naked man on a stage in his underwear unless we're talking a Chippendales performance which the Oscars clearly aren't? At least a Chippendales is fun.

And who was it that decided that an in memoriam of entertainment people should only be their drawn portraits when you have someone as gifted as Robin Williams in the queue and you should have had someone like Joan Rivers in there too? And whose idea was it to snub Rivers, btw? Didn't she die and wasn't she part of the entertainment world?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Thanks for your thoughtful post. The criticism is piling on, from the snub of "The Sniper" to the "revolutionary, years-in-the-making, Boyhood" that lost the Best Picture Oscar to "Birdman".

www.slate.com...
SNUB OF "BOYHOOD" IS THE 2015 ACADEMY AWARDS' WORST MISTAKE

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Thanks for your post. I don't know what Hollywood's problem is anymore. They must be contracting 6 year olds to write scripts in crayon, and assuming that the entire American population can't think any better than a Stoner.

theweek.com...
WHY SOME OF HOLLYWOOD'S BEST ACTORS ARE STARRING IN THE WORST ACTION/ADVENTURE MOVIES

And this Oscars broadcast, like liberal Hollywood, sounds like nothing but a jumble of in-your-face Agendas with more passion than depth, brains or logic. (Kinda like their movies these days.)

Hopefully this Oscar event will be quickly forgotten, referred to in history books as "The Village People's Oscars".

edit on 23-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think Doogie Howser (sorry, I grew up in the 80s) bombed. For a guy who's usually quite comfortable on stage and is very talented I found that the only person laughing at half of his material was himself, and I thought his bit with Octavia Spencer was torturously awkward and had zero payoff.

I did enjoy a lot of the musical performances. I thought Lady Gaga's performance was spectacular (I'm generally not a fan of hers) as well as John Legend & Common. Also the Lego song was fun and adorable.

As far as the winners go, well, that could be debated all day but I will say that Graham Moore and Patricia Arquette taught everyone a lesson in "maximizing your minutes" by taking a moment in time that's usually just babbling and turning it into something meaningful. Oh and I actually felt Eddie Redmayne's happiness from across the country. That was cool.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I don't remember where, but I read somewhere that part of the problem with current scripts is that the current crop of screenwriters grew up watching good movies and they base their efforts to tell stories off of that as their example and inspiration.

The screenwriters of the movies today's writers are using as their muse grew up reading great literature and had those stories as their examples when they started putting together stories.

So you went from an inspiration base of the classics to an inspiration base of what was inspired by the classics. So, while Citizen Kane is a worthy film, it's hardy up to the level of the Shakespeare that Welles cut his teeth on. So you would expect that something based on Kane and it's like might be a step down from there and so one and so forth.

Until people are inspired to study fully great story structure and characterization and really rewarded for going outside the box, I think we're only going to see Hollywood get more commercial or more derivative or both.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker
www.independent.co.uk... e-academy-awards-10063638.html

OSCARS 2015: THE CONTROVERSIAL, PREDICTABLE AND THE DOWNRIGHT BAFFLING - WHAT HAPPENED AT THE ACADEMY AWARDS?

www.newser.com...
SHORT-LIST OF OSCAR WINNERS - AND THEIR NEARLY-NUDE HOST

The general public's favorite, based on 2015 box office, was "American Sniper." Which won one Oscar - for Best Sound Editing.

www.boxofficemojo.com...
"AMERICAN SNIPER" - DOMESTIC TOTAL AT $319,607,000 AS OF FEB. 22, 2015
Which is possibly the total intake of all the other "winners" put together.

And Hollywood wonders why they are losing audience, and can't seem to "connect" with Middle America ...

The Academy presumably rewards quality not cash. "American Sniper", which I did see, didn't deserve to win Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay. It did deserve to win Best Sound Editing, which it did win. Did you see the rest of the nominees in those categories?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

The worst Academy Award show in decades and a dismal year for Hollywood in general.

Neil Patrick Harris was a complete 'fail'.

Best Picture, 'Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance' was a clear winner, not only for it's Best Cinematography and Best Director, but also, and predominantly, for the performances of it's actors which went completely unrecognized. Michael Keaton made Birdman the Best Picture that it clearly was, and the supporting cast, Emma Stone and Edward Norton, who were also nominated but snubbed, gave performances heads and shoulders above any of the other nominees.

Best Actor, Eddie Redmayne, is a one trick pony. He does a pretty good Stephen Hawkings impersonation, but for him to be awarded an Oscar for such a slim body of work is a travesty. Michael Keaton deserves an Oscar after a legendary career and I can't imagine how he could ever subject himself to another epic effort only to be snubbed like this again.

Best Screenplay is the biggest travesty of all and best summarizes the intellectual void that is Hollywood. The Imitation Game tells the story of British WWII codebreaker, Alan Turing who was persecuted for his homosexuality and committed suicide because of it.

The Screenwriter takes liberty after liberty, turning Turing from national hero into a treasonous coward who conceals the presence of a spy within British Intelligence, so as to maintain the secret of his own homosexuality.

The Imitation Game's flaws are many and glaring to any student of history, but the shots of the submerged German U-Boat 'Wolf Pack' turning in unison like a school of mackerel was absolutely idiotic.

Oh, and it was Turing, according to the Imitation Game writer, that not only singlehandedly invented the first computer but was also such a brilliant military strategist that he instructs Churchill to NOT warn the convoy of it's impending ambush for fear of revealing the existence of the code breakers.

Bosh.

I don't think Neil Patrick Harris failed. I think the writing and direction of the show was poor. He couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The host has an almost impossible job. Without good writing and good direction, it's literally an impossible job. It wasn't his delivery that tanked the jokes. He wasn't in control of the direction.

I suspect that the Best Performance by an Actor votes split between Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Keaton and Eddiey Redmayne came up the middle to win. The same thing happened when Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight lost to John Wayne. In my opinion, Cumberbatch should have won. It's far more difficult to give a subtle performance than an over-the-top performance although Keaton did do a brilliant job with the latter.

The screenwriter's job isn't to provide a history lesson. It's to create a good story well told. The person who wrote "The Imitation Game" and won for Best Adapted Screenplay did just that. Had he stuck strictly to history as it actually unfolded, it would have been unwatchable. I suggest you read his screenplay before assuming that he was responsible for some of your criticisms, especially the part about the U-boats turning in unison. You have to understand that films are not reality; they're heightened reality. The reality may have been that the U-boats responded over a period of hours or days. How do you imagine that could be depicted in a matter of seconds? How do you imagine the complex mental machinations of Turing's mind and problem solving be depicted? They were probably so complex that none of us could understand them. If you want history, read a history book. Your complaints are those of people who read a book and then want to go to a movie theater and see the book. It's a different medium. If you want to read the book again, read the freaking book again.

I doubt that you're in a position to judge the intellect and knowledge of screenwriters. How many screenplays have you actually read? None? Thought so.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
The entertainment Industrial complex is the epitome of evil & needs to be eradicated.

You're participating in it by being online.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Why would anyone want to see a naked man on a stage in his underwear unless we're talking a Chippendales performance which the Oscars clearly aren't? At least a Chippendales is fun.

And who was it that decided that an in memoriam of entertainment people should only be their drawn portraits when you have someone as gifted as Robin Williams in the queue and you should have had someone like Joan Rivers in there too? And whose idea was it to snub Rivers, btw? Didn't she die and wasn't she part of the entertainment world?

Did you see "Birdman"? If so, that would answer your first question.

As for your second question, the answer is the director of the Academy Awards Program.

Aren't you aware that the Academy Awards is about film not the entertainment industry in general? That's why Joan Rivers was not acknowledged.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Thanks for your post. I don't know what Hollywood's problem is anymore. They must be contracting 6 year olds to write scripts in crayon, and assuming that the entire American population can't think any better than a Stoner.

theweek.com...
WHY SOME OF HOLLYWOOD'S BEST ACTORS ARE STARRING IN THE WORST ACTION/ADVENTURE MOVIES

And this Oscars broadcast, like liberal Hollywood, sounds like nothing but a jumble of in-your-face Agendas with more passion than depth, brains or logic. (Kinda like their movies these days.)

Hopefully this Oscar event will be quickly forgotten, referred to in history books as "The Village People's Oscars".

Which of the films nominated for Best Picture have you seen?

How many of the nominated screenplays in the two categories have you read? How many screenplays, period, have you ever read?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

So, the person who voiced Dot Matrix in Spaceballs to name just one example had absolutely nothing to do with film? You want to try explaining again why she wasn't included? I've seen in memoriams that included publicists and marketing directors among other similar roles, but someone who was actually in 27 different movies in one capacity or another doesn't qualify? Really?

Also, I am aware of the Birdman joke, but I question the taste. The Oscars are not the place for man in his skivvies. I see lots of movies where women bare their breasts too. Does that mean we should have had Anne Hathaway walking around on stage half dressed in 2011?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

He was awful!
And the opening was an outdated dud.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Tangerine

So, the person who voiced Dot Matrix in Spaceballs to name just one example had absolutely nothing to do with film? You want to try explaining again why she wasn't included? I've seen in memoriams that included publicists and marketing directors among other similar roles, but someone who was actually in 27 different movies in one capacity or another doesn't qualify? Really?

Also, I am aware of the Birdman joke, but I question the taste. The Oscars are not the place for man in his skivvies. I see lots of movies where women bare their breasts too. Does that mean we should have had Anne Hathaway walking around on stage half dressed in 2011?

I'm sure thousands of people related to the industry died during 2014. Perhaps it would make sense to not mention any of them or would you prefer that the entire program be a memorial service?

You seem to disapprove of just about everything. May I suggest that you simply skip the Academy Awards programs? It would seem to be the most logical conclusion, barring the likelihood that you will be hired to direct it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join