It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can any sewing machine enthusiasts help me get started with my machine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hey guys,

I sort of inherited my grandma's sewing machine (Silvercrest, from Lidl apparenly) as she has dementia and is in a care home now so obviously couldn't take it with her. My auntie lives the other end of the country and keeps promising me she'll teach me how to use it, but never has and I'm flummoxed. I'd like to make something next weekend and I can't even get the needle threaded properly. The instructions are all pictures, and they're not very good, and I've tried Googling it but can't seem to find any more detailed instructions. It's driving me mad! I'm literally just sat with it on my desk mocking me as I stare uselessly at it, frowning.

I don't need it for anything complicated, just for making beds and hammocks for the ferrets, the occasional clothing based repair or Halloween costume (I've always loved the idea of making my own, but I am literally no use whatsoever). So I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find a more detailed step by step, or even if they could run through the basics of sewing machines themselves I'd be really grateful. I haven't used one since school and school was a long time ago...

Much obliged,
Ay

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Ayana

You might want to try and convince a seamstress or a sewing machine repair person to show you the basic threading and bobbin winding procedure .I would have thought YouTube would have had some basic sewing instructions .Best of luck . Oh and I found this

edit on 22-2-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Fabric stores often offer sewing classes. I've also seen a lot of youtube video how to's.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I tried to find a threading diagram for you, but no luck. If you can find someone to show you, that would probably be best. I've never used a Silvercrest, but I googled images of it and from what I can see it looks pretty basic, so I'll give it a shot.

Most threading patterns are in an "N" pattern, but working backwards. So starting with your spool on the right, you pull the thread to the left and hook it on a little hook towards the back on top, bringing the thread forward and down thru the slot, then bring it up around the tension knob to another hook (the one that moves up and down while sewing) where you hook it again and bring the thread down to the needle. (That's the "N" pattern). Thread the needle.

When threading the bobbin, in the machines I've used, the end of the bobbin thread should be going to the left when you insert it into the bobbin case, and then catching it in the slit in the bobbin and pulling it back to the right. But I've had it both ways. If there is a bobbin in there now, pay attention to which way the thread is directed when you remove it, so you know what's right for your machine. Otherwise, you may have to try it both ways and see what works.

To bring up the bobbin thread: After the machine is threaded both top and bobbin, with bobbin case closed and presser foot down, hold the top thread in the back, use the wheel on the right end to manually drop the needle and bring it up again. The top thread will catch the bottom thread and bring it back up with it.

You might want to change the needle if it's been a while. A blunt needle can really mess with the tension and ruin a seam. Fortunately, it's a cheap and easy fix. Good luck! I hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
YouTube was a lifesaver for me when I first started sewing. Try using search terms like "sewing tutorial" "how to use sewing machines", "sewing for beginners"... etc.

I never took any classes, I relied 100 percent on youtube for guidance from day 1. You can even find videos on there that walk you through each part of the machine and what those parts' functions are and how to manipulate them.

My second suggestion is to get together scrap fabric and just start sewing. At first, I just used old clothing. Cut it into large squares, then start with a basic stitch and just sew two together. Then practice using the different stitches that your machine can do, because each one feels different and requires a different touch. Meaning that the way you pull the fabric through will be a light, speedier touch for one stitch, while another will require a firmer, slower amount of tension on the fabric. Oh, and speaking of tension, don't get frustrated when your machine acts like the devil and your thread knots up and gets all bunched up out of the blue. That's usually a tension problem with your thread (and there are youtube videos on adjusting tension too!).

Just keep practicing and get familiar with your machine before you even think about putting something 'important' through it.

Best of luck!
(and yay for new hobbies!)

Interesting timing on this post, today I am sewing a couple of hems on some jeans and sewing on Girl Scout patches for my kiddo!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I own a small upholstery shop and I'd be glad to help any way I can. What is the model number? I found a basic manual for a Silvercrest SNM 33 A1.

www.manualslib.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

'Shivers'. I'm allergic to needles. Can't help with anything relating to sewing, I even flunked Home Ec.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your responses and help! I'll try the threading again like you said Boadicea. Words work better than pictures for me. I am a total noob at this though, and I was looking at the bobbin and can take it out but... What's it actually for? Like, why is it there?

a reply to: VictorVonDoom

On the box it does say 33076 so I assume that's the model number. That does look like the one I have though. I think it's pretty basic but I'm totally useless haha.
edit on 22/2/2015 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Your cheapest option is to hunt down the youtube how to videos like the2ofusr1 posted above.

It's what I did to move forward from crochet to knitting. Crochet is great for making blankets and shawls, but knitting is where it's at to make wearable s like sweaters, blouses, and socks. I used Youtube to figure out how and in just one day, I was knitting up my first pair of wristers and a scarf.

My other option was a local class that taught a six week knitting course that would cost me 10 dollars a week to sit in. Which would have been sad, had I signed up for it - as youtube had me knitting in just one day.

The bobbin on a sewing machine is used to hold the bottom thread. When the sewing machine stitches, it uses a top and bottom thread. So, as your working the machine, it links the two threads together, and then moves on to make the next linking of thread. This linking is called the "stitch".

CdT

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A denmark site has manuals and video instructions for some silvercrest models online. Although it might not be same model it might help give you clue to how to use your model.

The manuals are in different languages, the english one is marked UK towards bottom of page.

link

I examined the threading video on www.sewingguide.de...-the-upper-thread-and-pulling-the-lower-thread-upward . No wonder you confused it looks overly complicated.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Try looking up Crafty Gemini on FB or YT. She's been immensely helpful to me; I haven't yet gotten the sewing machine though. =(

www.youtube.com...

www.facebook.com...

top topics

join