It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eviction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
My roommate and i can't get along. He wants me to move out. I am fine with that i am tired of him being unreasonable and childish trowing tantrums. He has a tantrum even if he can get his seat belt plugged in right away / short fuse.

I have no real money to move.

Should i just not pay rent and have him evict me for not paying rent, so i can save for my new place to stay?

How long can i stay like that before i have to leave?

I am paid up right now.

Think i will just buy a land claim with mineral rights for cheap and live off the grid.

Do not care if i find gold or if it is really there but would be a bonus even if in trace amounts.

I can build most anything. To get the resources out. Just a matter of time, work and money.

Not much money to do that. But i can build anything. Power / electronics tech so options are unlimited. But i would prefer to be on a river and do it that way as i need water anyway.

Mechanically inclined, built my own high mileage carb

Built houses before, been a lumberjack.

Have many other skills so i think i will be fine as long as i go somewhere warm in USA.

Thinking Colorado or California, I like trees and need water. Need land claim so south west is necessary.

I will be fine once i find claim i think.

Again, how will the rent thing work?

Also any advice or options anyone have to share?

On social Sec and get limited monthly income.

So job thing is not an issue.

Appreciate any advice, help or encouragement.

Thank You

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

In order for him to evict you, he will need to go through the process with the county Sheriff. Depending on where you live, that can take 30 days or 3 months. It also depends on whether or not you challenge it when it goes to court.

I do wish you the best of luck..

edit on 2/19/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Is your name on the lease? What country do you live in?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Yes, USA, Minnesota. a reply to: Atsbhct

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

A good read

MN Eviction Process

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks, But what i get out of this if i read it right is. I can lapse the remainder of this month. Then get served and have another 30 days to move. So i will only have one months money to move into another place. Then they can try and recover the money. I know my roommate will pay the rent. So he won't have trouble. So he will try and recover it. Don't know if he will think it is worth it. I doubt he will be fair, he will be belligerent till i leave even though until a few months ago he was paying off a debt to me for 10 months worth of rent he owed me for two years before i moved in. Once i moved in the rent came off the debt.
Again, I interpreted it as i only have 40 days.Unless i appeal. But i don't get along and don't want to stay where not wanted.
a reply to: semperfortis

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Each situation is different, indeed.

I can honestly tell you that roommate and domestic situations are perhaps the worst call I handle each and every day...

My suggestion is to "Bite the bullet" and leave as soon as possible.

Those types of situations almost never get any better..

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
If you paid the damage deposit, or half it, you are entitled to that.
If you've paid this month, then use the rent you're currently saving for next month for a damage deposit/rent for a new place. You don't have to pay if you aren't living there. So you don't have to pay if you leave before next rent is due.

Dealing with crappy roommates sucks, i feel your pain my friend.
Best bet would be to find a cheap place by yourself. I've lived by myself and its just way easier. If you can afford it, my rent was 650 a month when i lived alone. Just low enough to survive.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yes i expect drama. But i am bound by my limited income. So i will stick it out as long as i can. Trying to sell a Art print for some cash. See how that goes. Don't think it is worth a lot. $600+ but that will help some. Thank You. a reply to: semperfortis

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thank You. Forgot about the deposit. That give me one more month. a reply to: AzureSky

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hey man trust me I have been there with a crappy roommate who seems to bring you down. I got the hell out, I just couldn't handle the stress anymore. Though I am in Canada so laws are different and I don't think my experience will help you.
edit on 19-2-2015 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I can only assume that your roommate is your landlord so I will comment that way.
When you signed a lease you signed a contract. You will be held financially responsible for anything that you agreed to in the lease. That includes the rent you plan on not paying. The only option is to have him release you from the lease but you must get that on paper and signed by him.
As long as he has held up his side of the bargain you are stuck. You can take him to small claims I suppose and argue that he makes the environment hostile and a judge will nullify the lease.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Just leave....

I lived in my car off and on for 3 years. Best 3 years I ever had. Freedom, mobility, moderately comfortable and free.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Also while you are trying to wait it out I would be looking into finding another roommate somewhere else so you can get in on section 8 housing.

Most apartment buildings in MN have sec 8 but the only problem is you have to have a roommate as one person doesn't qualify you. As far as evictions go, if you are on his lease, then he cannot evict you, the landlord has to do it unless he is the landlord, which it doesn't sound like.

I do agree with others on the thread who say to just get out ASAP though as bad roommates and hard feelings can lead to all sorts of drama you don't want. Trust me on this, I see it every day and often times it ends up in someone being carted away by the cops and both parties being evicted.

Speaking of which, if you both are on the lease,
maybe he should move and you should stay.
It is a two way street.
Just to play devil's advocate.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There is what the law says and then there is coming home with your stuff in the yard and the locks changed (or everything you own has been pawned to pay your share of bills). Unless you can afford legal fees I would not push my luck with a short fused roomate.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

They can't change the locks if they don't own the property, only the land lord can.
And the land lord cannot lock you out of your own apartment on a roommates request if you are on the lease unless you did some sort of domestic violence thing and there is a restraining order.

You could actually try to sue your landlord if they did that.
edit on 19-2-2015 by Darkblade71 because: not sure why I edited...lol

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thank You. I would rather leave. I also can't afford it by myself. Section 8 has a long waiting list. I need to do more constructive things with my time. So if i get some land this will be for the best. I will make it work somehow. I always do. Building things, shelter, power grid. My own alternative energy ideas. Some that i have done in the past. Many i have prints and plans for. land and room to invent things. Pan for gold, don't care if i find any. As i will invent to make things work. All for the best. As i have thought about this for some time. Just a kick in the butt to motivate me. a reply to: Darkblade71

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Exactly. I have a better chance of getting him evicted. But i won't go into that. Can't afford the place myself and don't want to be in a negative environment so good riddance. a reply to: Darkblade71

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Yeah, I hear ya.
Minnesota is damn cold in the wintertime though.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yes i agree. Move on and do what must be done to move forward. I will sacrifice as needed for my goal. A car is defiantly a option short term. Once i get out of Minnesota as it is winter. A tent inside a tent can add some extra protection from the elements till i build something. Always work if i look and buckle down to achieve goals. Had a few Gypsy friends years ago. I know how to travel and get by. Working and bartering of course. a reply to: olaru12

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join