It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Euthanasia Coaster. Death by Rollercoaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is bizarre. Does anybody remember a book by Kurt Vonnegut in which there was a "death clinic" on every corner, (futuristic) where one could sign in for the day, be treated like royalty for a few hours, then die a painless death? Can't remember which book it was, but this reminds me of that idea. This has not been constructed, and probably never will be, but it's an interesting and spooky notion. Just the thought of it is so foreboding. I wonder if it's a part of our future.

“Euthanasia Coaster” is a hypothetic roller coaster, engineered to humanely – with elegance and euphoria – take the life of a human being. Riding the coaster’s track, the rider is subjected to a series of intensive motion elements that induce various unique experiences: from euphoria to thrill, and from tunnel vision to loss of consciousness, and, eventually, death. Thanks to the marriage of the advanced cross-disciplinary research in airspace medicine, mechanical engineering, material technologies and, of course, gravity, the fatal journey is made pleasing, elegant and meaningful. Celebrating the limits of the human body, this ‘kinetic sculpture’ is in fact the ultimate roller coaster: John Allen, former president of the famed Philadelphia Toboggan Company, once said that “the ultimate roller coaster is built when you send out twenty-four people and they all come back dead. This could be done, you know.”

“Euthanasia Coaster” is nothing but a falling trajectory, curved and tangled in such a way that would leave nobody apathetic, neither the passenger,nor the spectator. Where it lands to it is up to the public to decide. It is a prop for non-existent horror movie, a real fiction, a black humour scenography, social sci-fi design, the world's most extreme ride, a mourning sculpture, a monument for the end of the carousel evolution, a gravitational weapon, the very last trip

www.julijonasurbonas.lt...

Link includes a diagram of how/why it would cause death.

I found another thread on this, but it was four years ago, so wth.

edit on 2/16/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sounds like something the Dutch would love! Bet it's built there first.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Why do you say that Grand? Are the Dutch more infatuated with death?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Wasn't that movie "Soylent Green"?

I could be mistaken, but that is the movie I am thinking about.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Why do you say that Grand? Are the Dutch more infatuated with death?

They were pioneers in legal euthanasia
and even euthanasia for people who have simply lost the will to live

Euthanasia has been known to be regularly practised in the Netherlands since 1973,....
The official guidelines require that the patient's decision is voluntary, well considered and persistent, in the presence of unbearable pain without hope of improvement. The decision should be made by more than one doctor, and the doctor and patient should agree that euthanasia is the only reasonable option.

Over the years, much evidence has accumulated to show that these guidelines are commonly disregarded in part or in whole, and that some of them cannot underpin a consistent legal interpretation. Yet others have been watered down by courts to the point where no physical suffering, indeed no physical illness at all, was required. A case was reported in 2000 where a doctor assisted in the suicide of an 86 year old man, simply because his life had become meaningless. He was later charged with murder, but given a token penalty. Additionally, underreporting and life-taking without patient request have dogged Dutch euthanasia for many years.

www.catholiceducation.org...

edit on 1Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:47:58 -0600pm21602pmk161 by grandmakdw because: added proof

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Disclaimer:

Tickets not for sale on ATS.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

They were pioneers in legal euthanasia and even euthanasia for people who have simply lost the will to live.

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I'm working on another thread, and this will come in useful.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Truly fantastic idea. I didn't know that about the Dutch either; I wonder the process & protocols of getting euthanized due to will to live.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It's like Logan's Run. Only instead of floating up into a giant bug zapper, you'd be falling down and dying. This is absolutely terrifying.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
(removed dead link)

Model (scale 1:500):
Euthanasia Coaster

Application:
Euthanasia, execution

Dimensions:
Height: 510 m
Drop lenght: 500 m
Track length: 7544 m

Duration:
Lift: 120 s
Drop: 10 s
Exposure to 10 g: 60 s
Total: 3:20

Features:
Max speed: 100m/s
Inversions: 7
Max g-force: 10 g

Cause of death:
Cerebral hypoxia, lack of oxygen supply to the brain.

Additional effects:
Greyout – loss of color vision;
Tunnel vision – loss of peripheral vision;
Blackout – complete loss of vision;
G-LOC – g-force induced Loss Of Consciousness.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's like Logan's Run. Only instead of floating up into a giant bug zapper, you'd be falling down and dying. This is absolutely terrifying.

No no, you just close your eyes, lean back, feel the wind in your face, & wait for the end.

Dying at high speed might even affect your post life experience in some incomprehensible way.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I feel the same way. I have a heights thing..... I'd die from a heart attack because of the great height.

Other than the "euphoria" part, lol, I don't find this appealing in the least.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

No, it's terrifying that anyone would even consider such a thing artistic.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Bunch of psychos. Thanks to idiots like him our descendents will either be allowed to live or forced to die if they lose their usefulness. Of course the hipster who invented it would be the last to ride on it.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Does anybody remember a book by Kurt Vonnegut in which there was a "death clinic" on every corner, (futuristic) where one could sign in for the day, be treated like royalty for a few hours, then die a painless death?

Soylent Green. Euthanasia centers all around the planet. I think they are excellent ideas. Not the 'turn the bodies into crackers to eat part' ... but the part that people can have a pleasant death experience on their own terms and not have to endure needless suffering.

As for the coaster? That's different. I don't object but my question is this - what happens if the coaster doesn't work ?? I guess they'd have to have medical people on duty to administer a lethal dose of something in the event a person survived the coaster.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
I thought about that too.

It looks like there are five "loops' where one can press a button and call it off. (If one is not completely paralyzed with fear). This is gross too, but I think the stomach content would be lost along the way.

Also seems someone from the coroner's office would need to be present to verify the cause death, and make sure they are dead. Gruesome. And I guess the parking lot is full of hearses to cart them off to the funeral Parlor of their choice.

Personally, if I were going to do that, I'd rather have Dr. Kevorkian.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Dying at high speed might even affect your post life experience in some incomprehensible way.

Somebody touches on this aspect in the article. It could be a type of NDE.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Oh now I was just coming that maybe the people who survive to go on to be brain damaged vegetables would be part of the beauty of the experience.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

One can skip the great sleep and resurrection and go straight to paradise through such a sublime death

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
could u survive with a breathing assistant ?
may be a new way of execution

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join