It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIF Images, Jif and Gif

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
So it seems most people pronounce GIF with a hard G, personally I think it sounds ridiculous pronounced that way, it hits the ear all wrong, so I've always said it as "Jif"

Apparently the inventor of the GIF image also agrees it should be pronounced "Jif"

Now I've seen people say it supposed to be a hard-G because the G stands for Graphics, which is pronounced with a hard G. Nonsense I say. Since when did anyone make the rule that the letter in an acronym must be pronounced the same as in the worlds it represents?

For example: FUBAR. "F**** Up Beyond All Recognition" The U in "Up" is pronounced with a "Uh" sound. In FUBAR the U is pronounced with a "oo" sound. Anyone ever say "FUhBAR"? No. Do people pronounce "Up" "oop"? NO. Precedence has been set.

Anyone care to defend the hard-G in GIF?

edit on 14-2-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Silent G's annoy the hell out of me.

If it's silent why the hell include it?

I must admit though, I always pronounce GIF with a hard G. JIF doesn't seem right to me, but if that's the way you want to pronounce it, that's cool.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Pfft, inventor inschmentor! I'm calling it a Gif, like a Riff. If it's supposed to be jif, it would be Jif. Not my fault the nimgus named it Gif.
I speak from personal experience too. I'm a Jeff. A proper Jeff, with a J. None of this Geoff crap. That to me is the process after karate 'gee off'.

Gif.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I wish you cared this much about something a little more critical, like saving the Panthera tigris amoyensis species for instance. But hey, who GIFs a darn.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't care how the creator intends it to be pronounced...i still pronounce GIF with a hard G...

To be honest though, it isn't really something worth losing sleep over.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
I wish you cared this much about something a little more critical, like saving the Panthera tigris amoyensis species for instance. But hey, who GIFs a darn.

How much care do you think it takes to write a short rant post on ATS
The way people pronounce words isn't keeping me up at night, it's supposed to be a lighthearted rant.

I can tell you I care more about Tigers than I do the pronunciation of words but I'm not sure what you expect me to do about it. The laws and policies of other countries are a bit outside my sphere of influence, heck the laws and policies of my own country are wholly outside my sphere of influence!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
Pfft, inventor inschmentor! I'm calling it a Gif, like a Riff. If it's supposed to be jif, it would be Jif. Not my fault the nimgus named it Gif.
I speak from personal experience too. I'm a Jeff. A proper Jeff, with a J. None of this Geoff crap. That to me is the process after karate 'gee off'.

Gif.

I'l try and be gentle about how your genius logic is flawed........

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

It's your right (silent g) to be wrong (silent g) but I suspect the author has every right (silent g) to pronounce it any way he wishes.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

Gif.

While we are going to have to disagree about the Gif thing at least we can agree on Geoff. That's some nutty stuff.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
We have 26 letters in the alphabet but we need far more sounds than 26 to speak this is why we have letters that can be pronounced multiple ways depending on context. Some people are so bloody minded "to be right" they just fail to acknowledge this little snippet about all languages that use the latin alphabet.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I do what I want. You will never change me.

GIF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
We have 26 letters in the alphabet but we need far more sounds than 26 to speak this is why we have letters that can be pronounced multiple ways depending on context. Some people are so bloody minded "to be right" they just fail to acknowledge this little snippet about all languages that use the latin alphabet.

I think less letters is in order, no need for a C and a K, or a G and a J, or an I and an E, if both letters can sometimes sound like the other than what's the point?

We'll get the English language sorted in no time guys!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich
I do what I want. You will never change me.

GIF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!

I won't get mad that you pronounce it wrong because your avatar is hilarious. What's that from anyway?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I still call CVS.... Revco.

Because that's what I do. It's a hard "G" in my universe and I care not one whit who doesn't approve of the pronounciation I use.

I do what I want. I'm not a grammar nazi... I am a grammar ANARCHIST. Just ask my old Speak & Spell.

But seriously... I have never (NOT ONCE) heard someone actually say Jif instead of gif. I would have likely handed them a jar of peanut butter had I heard it.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

its all good except how should we pronounce jif as in JPEG Interchange Format then?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: yizzel

its all good except how should we pronounce jif as in JPEG Interchange Format then?

Don't people pronounce it "Jay-Peg" or are people saying it as one word "Juhpeg" That would be awful!

Or are you saying we should do "Jay-iff?"

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I still call CVS.... Revco.

Because that's what I do. It's a hard "G" in my universe and I care not one whit who doesn't approve of the pronounciation I use.

I do what I want. I'm not a grammar nazi... I am a grammar ANARCHIST. Just ask my old Speak & Spell.

But seriously... I have never (NOT ONCE) heard someone actually say Jif instead of gif. I would have likely handed them a jar of peanut butter had I heard it.

Grammar anarchism never works because eventually some grammar anarchists form together and start deciding what is truly grammar anarchy and forcing everyone to follow suit so it ceases to be anarchy

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Not really just pointing out that .jif files, a variant of jpg already exist. Calling 'gif' 'jif' could confuse things.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Its a hard G because: GIF(t)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I happened across it on Gizmodo one day.

I sat giggling like a child watching it for longer than it should have been funny. So I did what any normal person on the internet would do. Right click, save image as...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join