It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Mars was ‘destroyed by nuclear attack’, says physicist – and we could be next

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
earthweareone.com...

A respected physicist and author, John Brandenberg, has claimed that intelligent life once flourished on Mars – but was annihilated by a nuclear attack so intense it left the planet cold and lifeless.

The author has urged that a human mission to the planet be mounted immediately – in case we are in danger from the attackers who ‘killed’ Mars.

Brandenberg said that many of the nuclear isotopes in Mars’s atmosphere ‘resemble those from hydrogen bombs on Earth’ and hypotheses in a new book, ‘Death on Mars’, that a humanoid race once lived there but was wiped out.

This seems a bit far fetched. I would like to see Mr. Brandenbergs data.

‘This Martian civilization apparently perished due to a planet-wide catastrophe of unknown origin,’ he writes, citing craters visible on the surface near the Curiosity Rover. ‘Was it a massive nuclear attack?’

Many physicists believe that an event such as an asteroid strike may have robbed Mars of its magnetic field, and thus its atmosphere, in the distant past – but Brandenberg believes that the planet may have been killed by another civilisation or even a rogue artificial intelligence.

He also warns that we could be next.

I think we will destroy ourselves without any outside influence, long before we have a manned mission to Mars.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
BIG claims require evidence and there isn't any.

Pure speculation.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Brandenberg said that many of the nuclear isotopes in Mars’s atmosphere ‘resemble those from hydrogen bombs on Earth’

This is the only testable/provable part of what is otherwise a work of science fiction....and even that means absolutely zero. Resembles does not sound like a strong argument. Many things "resemble" other things; yet, they are in no way related.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Even an all out nuke exchange wouldn't render the Earth planet barren with no atmosphere and no water.

Intriguing idea, but it doesn't intersect the real axis.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Pure speculation.

Agreed...

He does have some impressive credentials however...

www.astroreview.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wasn't there a thread on this a while back or am I experiencing deja vu?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

edit on 12-2-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Yes, there's no real evidence. But that's the case most of the time before and investigation/study begins. Can't we just discuss the possibility without immediately writing something off because a scientific study has not yet been conducted.... gees.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
You can read several pages of the book on google books. and... uh, wow. All i have to say is "don't huff paint, kids."

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Pure speculation.

Agreed...

He does have some impressive credentials however...

www.astroreview.com...

Your link describes the book's synopsis differently than the OP's link. In the case of the OP, I believe that they have made up their own theory and twisted several of Brandenburg's quotes to seem as if he was saying that.

Brandenburg's book is about a theoretical meteorite impact that may have rendered Mars sterile.

Edit: I withdraw that, I have just read the preview on Google books. It is like Brandenburg has had something in his cool-aid and is channeling Immanuel Velikovsky.

edit on 12/2/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I've always said that some of the Martian landscape(s) appear scattered like a debris field after an explosion.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Brandenberg said that many of the nuclear isotopes in Mars’s atmosphere ‘resemble those from hydrogen bombs on Earth

Is it possible that some of these are in fact isotopes from our own testing/use of hydrogen weapons? I ask because I really am not sure if they could have somehow reached Mars.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
there was something on spirit science on this. supposedly the martians were very left-brain, ergo very technologically advanced but also very masculine in their personality. they escaped nuclear annihiliation via synthetic merkabah (an electromagnetic field that functions somewhat like the TARDIS) and landed in lemuria (general oceanic region of hawaii) around 5500 or so. allegedly.

edit on 12-2-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Pure speculation.

It would require reading the book to be certain.

Look up Dunning - Kueger effect.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Yes, there's no real evidence. But that's the case most of the time before and investigation/study begins. Can't we just discuss the possibility without immediately writing something off because a scientific study has not yet been conducted.... gees.

Of course you can, I have no authority to stop it.

Regards

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Even an all out nuke exchange wouldn't render the Earth planet barren with no atmosphere and no water.

Intriguing idea, but it doesn't intersect the real axis.

Just because we don't know of any such weapon does not prelude the possiblity of such a weapon's existance.

The lack of imagination, on this site and among so many, is very disheartening.

Just because I don't know an answer doesn't mean there is not an awswer.

What a spooky thought - but just as plausable as many concocted here (on ATS) on a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think it's hard to compare an asteroid blast against nuclear strikes . Is it not that both generate almost the same amount of heath and radioactive aftermath ?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The problem is that reality, unlike imagination, has limits. We can talk about tentacle dinosaurs with super powers laying waste to a martian world of elves filled with daffodil trees and cotton candy seas. While imaginiticve, it's no more supported in reality than any of the (admittedly more mundane) imagination being utilized by this author.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

That's what I thought too, I'm not sure, I've already seen one thread today that I know I read with the exact same posts a few weeks ago but yet it didn't come out until today.
I guess I can't count out this one being Deja Vu either.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
as someone who believes there might have been intelligent life on Mars at some point in the past, it is one opinion. Its clear that there was quite a bit of water there, and generally speaking where there is water, there is life. NASA and many others think so too. Something happened to the atmosphere of Mars. Something possibly catastrophic, so until we know for sure why, and what happened, its one possibility as I see it.
edit on 12pm28pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join