It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM reports: The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I have to agree to this article. I have commented about this often on ATS and this opinion is confirmed with real data.

When considering the bigger picture, it shows that natural warming occurs as part of Earth's cycles.

When the data is analysed properly and in reference to the bigger picture, it shows that '' human cause global warming'' is not accurate and perhaps part of an agenda.

I don't normally post in this forum due to the imposing opinions of some and the refusal of many to listen to logic and see the bigger picture.

I have better things to do than argue about the reality of the situation and I will always prefer the bigger picture and the truth so I won't be spending time arguing on the thread.

I do however think it is important that the information and the fact it is being reported in MSM is an important step forward.

Telegraph

When future generations look back on the global-warming scare of the past 30 years, nothing will shock them more than the extent to which the official temperature records – on which the entire panic ultimately rested – were systematically “adjusted” to show the Earth as having warmed much more than the actual data justified.

Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming.

This was only the latest of many examples of a practice long recognised by expert observers around the world – one that raises an ever larger question mark over the entire official surface-temperature record.

Following my last article, Homewood checked a swathe of other South American weather stations around the original three. In each case he found the same suspicious one-way “adjustments”. First these were made by the US government’s Global Historical Climate Network (GHCN). They were then amplified by two of the main official surface records, the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (Giss) and the

National Climate Data Center (NCDC), which use the warming trends to estimate temperatures across the vast regions of the Earth where no measurements are taken. Yet these are the very records on which scientists and politicians rely for their belief in “global warming”.

Source

edit on 9-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Yes, this is very encouraging to see in the MSM.

Perhaps logic and reason have a chance after all.

Barring the complete awakening of the pod people, this alarmist trend will take a long time to reverse.

What worries me the most is that if this power grab is only defeated on the scientific evidence, we have not solved our totalitarian problem. I had been hoping for a principled philosophical realization.

We can be sure that some other inflated justification will be leveraged to achieve the very same goal.

"The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson
edit on 9-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Christopher Booker out to promote his waste-of-trees once again ? *sigh*

For climate sceptics it was a key piece of evidence showing that the scientists behind global warming could not be trusted. A quotation by one of the world's most eminent climate scientists was supposed to demonstrate the depths to which he and his ilk would stoop to create scare stories exaggerating the threat of global warming.

Sir John Houghton, who played a critical role in establishing the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPPC), was roundly condemned after it emerged that he was an apparent advocate of scary propaganda to frighten the public into believing the dangers of global warming.

"Unless we announce disasters, no one will listen," Sir John was supposed to have said in 1994.

The quotation has since become the iconic smoking gun of the climate sceptic community. The words are the very first to appear in the "manual" of climate denialism written by the journalist and arch-sceptic Christopher Booker. They get more than a 100,000 hits on Google, and are wheeled out almost every time a climate sceptic has a point to make, the last occasion being in a Sunday newspaper article last weekend written by the social anthropologist and climate sceptic Benny Peiser.

The trouble is, Sir John Houghton has never said what he is quoted as saying. The words do not appear in his own book on global warming, first published in 1994, despite statements to the contrary. In fact, he denies emphatically that he ever said it at any time, either verbally or in writing.

In fact, his view on the matter of generating scare stories to publicise climate change is quite the opposite. "There are those who will say 'unless we announce disasters, no one will listen', but I'm not one of them," Sir John told The Independent.

"It's not the sort of thing I would ever say. It's quite the opposite of what I think and it pains me to see this quote being used repeatedly in this way. I would never say we should hype up the risk of climate disasters in order to get noticed," he said.

Even though the quotation appears on about 130 thousand web pages, no one seems to know where it originated. On the few occasions a reference is cited, it is listed as coming from the first edition of Sir John's book, Global Warming: The Complete Briefing, published by Lion Books in 1994. But Sir John does not say it in this edition, nor in subsequent editions published by Cambridge University Press.

Christopher Booker, a newspaper columnist, considers the quotation so important that he lists it at the top of the first page of his most recent book on climate scepticism, The Real Global Warming Disaster, published last year. Mr Booker also cites the 1994 edition of Houghton's own book on global warming as the source of the quotation, even though there is no mention of it there. Mr Booker did not respond yesterday to enquiries by The Independent.

Fabricated quote used to discredit climate scientist

did i say *sigh* ?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

King of diamonds
Christopher Booker
Sunday Telegraph columnist

Booker writes a column in the Sunday Telegraph. It's filled with so many misleading claims about climate change, evolution, asbestos, speed cameras and the European Union that it would take an encyclopedia to document them.

His most famous contention was made in a column in February 2008. The previous September, he noted, "sea ice cover had shrunk to the lowest level ever recorded. But for some reason the warmists are less keen on the latest satellite findings, reported by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. … Its graph of northern hemisphere sea ice area, which shows the ice shrinking from 13,000m sq km to just 4m from the start of 2007 to October, also shows it now almost back to 13m sq km."

To reinforce this point, he helpfully republished the graph, showing that the ice had indeed expanded between September and January. The Sunday Telegraph continues to employ a man who cannot tell the difference between summer and winter. The prestigious and highly sought Christopher Booker prize for climate change denial was named in his honour.

source

Not trustworthy to say the least...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The evidence is just too strong.

Graphs from before all of this rubbish started are just too persuasive and show temperatures changing in a cyclical nature.

Such as this one.

'Present' on this graph is 1950.

P

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Yup, makes sense - NASA, NOAA, Hadley CRU, JMA, BEST, RSS, and UAH (which is run by two prominent global warming skeptics) are all faking their corroborating data because Christopher Booker published an op-ed about it where he defers his research to some internet blogger.

Here's what Booker's own Wikipedia page has to say about him:

He has taken a stance which runs counter to the scientific consensus on a number of issues, including global warming, the link between passive smoking and cancer,[2] and the dangers posed by asbestos.[3]

Some of you are such easy fodder for the toxic disinformer shills...it's just really sad.

edit on 9-2-2015 by mc_squared because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The whole debate is based on statistics, and the abuse thereof. If you look at climate change through time you get all sorts of variations, as the OP has shown. Statistics are there to be abused, because climate change fanatics concentrate on the last couple of decades and religiously rant on about the severity of it all.

People who argue against the accepted wisdom are often pilloried and ridiculed. It has come to the stage where the “green”/ climate change lobby actively seek to disrupt dissention. I have seen it for myself on documentaries where contrary opinion is often marginalised and demeaned.

I am personally persuaded that there is such a thing climate change – the history of the world and my own experience shows this to be true. However, I am not persuaded that it is entirely human caused as posited by some people. Climate change is likely exacerbated by mankind’s propensity to pollute and destroy the natural world, but not to the extent pushed by some people.

Regards

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
All the data on global warming has to be real. The government agencies like Nasa and Noaa say it's true.
The government says 911 was terrorists,
Vaccinations are safe and
Ufo's are not real.
Everybody takes the word of the government as absolute, non agenda driven best for the people truth..............on global warming.
Normally the truth is somewhere in the middle.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It seems that this writer is not above "fiddling with data" himself

A complaint to the Press Complaints Commission in 2009 following claims by Booker that sea levels around the island of Tuvalu had dropped, that sea level data used by the IPCC had been unfairly altered and that there were no sea level experts contributing to their Fourth Assessment Report was upheld.

Climate skeptics hall of shame

And this:

In December 2009 Booker (along with Richard North (blogger) made allegations of financial impropriety against IPCC Chairman Dr Rajendra Pachauri. These were published in the Sunday Telegraph which subsequently withdrew them after a libel action. In August 2010, the Telegraph apologized to Pachauri after accounting firm KPMG found his business dealings spotless.

Source watch

But wait, there's more...

Rainfalls and floods

Booker’s comment: “Not even the latest technical report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) could find any evidence that rainfall and floods were increasing.”

Scientific Evidence: The IPCC report found a significant climate influence on global scale changes in precipitation patterns (with medium confidence), including increases in precipitation in northern hemisphere mid to high latitudes. Further evidence of this comes from the observed changes in sea level salinity, an indication of the global distribution of evaporation and precipitation.

Atmospheric Humidity

Booker’s comment: “From the official National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) satellite data on humidity (shown on the “atmosphere page” of the science blog Watts Up With That), we see it has actually been falling.”

Scientific Evidence: The key measure of whether atmospheric humidity is rising or falling is specific humidity, i.e. the mass of water vapour in a unit mass of moist air. The “atmosphere page” of “Watts Up With That” when accessed on 17 July wrongly shows data on relative humidity under the heading “Specific humidity”. Relative humidity is a measure that depends on temperature and does not therefore measure the absolute water vapour content of the atmosphere. In other words, Booker’s evidence is not evidence.

Polar ice melt

Booker’s comment: “As for polar ice, put the Arctic and the Antarctic together and there has lately been more sea ice than at any time since records began (see the Cryosphere Today website).”

Scientific Evidence: The IPCC found that since 1979, annual Arctic sea ice extent has declined by 0.45-0.51 million km2 per decade and annual Antarctic sea ice extent has increased by 0.13-0.20 million km2 per decade. Taking the two IPCC estimates together, it can be inferred that total global sea ice extent has declined since 1979.

Imperial College

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Of course, everyone here has a conspiracy they are allowed to believe in, but not when it comes to global warming ... that one is totally real and true and it's all our fault. We caused the ice ages, we caused all the subsequent thaws, and every other climate catastrophe that ever happened was the fault of modern man too ... because government funded scientists said so!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Oh look more people defending pollution by bickering over whether it is changing the climate or not. Here is what we do know we have permanantly destroyed species and habitat through pollution and progress. The ecosystem is all symbiotically connected. As we destroy habitat and species the particar job they have in the continuation of earths cycles is disruptive.

The most stupid thing people say is look there are cycles in the past so we are not creating it. Thats not science either. We have to agendas here one global warming people standing to make money with their companies and industrial polluters who dont want to change bussiness practices.

In the mean time we wipe out new flora and fauna every day. What is the impact of that? Its pretty bad for us. The earth will probably be fine as long as we dont go the nuke route. For us though if we dont stop killing off the very life that keeps the whole cycle going its bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Who said we're defending pollution?

Of course, I have to ask you when you decided that the gas you exhale that plants need like you need oxygen became pollution ...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You stfu, you aren't allowed to talk about the global conspiracy to control everyone through climate fear mongering, while taxing them to death to stop a problem that doesn't exist, and even if it did can't be taxed into to stopping.

You plebs will do as we tell you, even when it is hurts you and helps us exclusively.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Now we know the climate change baloney was being used as a cover for manipulating the populace.

www.washingtontimes.com...
Elite Robert Kennedy Jr called for laws to punish global warming deniers.

Weinstein says that this "is an argument that's just being discussed seriously in some circles." He credits Rochester Institute of Technology philosophy professor Lawrence Torcello for getting the ball rolling. Last month, Torcello argued that America should follow Italy's lead. In 2009, six seismologists were convicted of poorly communicating the risks of a major earthquake. When one struck, the scientists were sentenced to six years in jail for downplaying the risks. Torcello and Weinstein want a similar approach for climate change.

www.usatoday.com...

I challenge you people to list more of those who openly called for the arrest, jailing, and in some cases killing of climate change deniers.
Turns out they are the very people who should be jailed for fraud perpetrated on the world, so massive, they concocted a way to steal money from people with "carbon credits"

They purposely manipulated the data
so they could defraud
and manipulate
the "little people of the world"

Sounds like a little payback in the form of tribunals is in order. Kerry first.

The lie is so entrenched in culture, like the population myth (when we are actually entering world wide depopulation within 50 years and depopulation trends are severe). But the ignorant cling to the myth and so this myth of climate change will cling to the ignorant for many many years to come.

edit on 8Mon, 09 Feb 2015 08:39:12 -0600am20902amk091 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
Oh look more people defending pollution by bickering over whether it is changing the climate or not. Here is what we do know we have permanantly destroyed species and habitat through pollution and progress. The ecosystem is all symbiotically connected. As we destroy habitat and species the particar job they have in the continuation of earths cycles is disruptive.

The most stupid thing people say is look there are cycles in the past so we are not creating it. Thats not science either. We have to agendas here one global warming people standing to make money with their companies and industrial polluters who dont want to change bussiness practices.

In the mean time we wipe out new flora and fauna every day. What is the impact of that? Its pretty bad for us. The earth will probably be fine as long as we dont go the nuke route. For us though if we dont stop killing off the very life that keeps the whole cycle going its bad.

Sweetie, you haven't lived very long have you?

The air is much cleaner in the US than it was when I was young. Much much cleaner.

The water is also cleaner!

All the good things like, the regulations for cleaner air and water began when
the elite and the scientists were saying
we were headed into an ice age!

Cleaning up the air and water has nothing to do with the fraud
perpetrated on the people of the world
in order to charge them for "carbon credits"
and to steal money for the elites
and to control people with outlandish things
like the electric meters that tell the government what appliance you are using and for how long.

edit on 8Mon, 09 Feb 2015 08:45:47 -0600am20902amk091 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: luthier

Who said we're defending pollution?

Of course, I have to ask you when you decided that the gas you exhale that plants need like you need oxygen became pollution ...

Co2 was way higher than now many times, life flourished, plants grew bigger faster.

There was no "out of control warming".

This is made up bs pure and simple.

Totally ignoring historical data.

Hysteria and hyperbole....nothing more.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Of course, everyone here has a conspiracy they are allowed to believe in, but not when it comes to global warming ... that one is totally real and true and it's all our fault. We caused the ice ages, we caused all the subsequent thaws, and every other climate catastrophe that ever happened was the fault of modern man too ... because government funded scientists said so!

And the ignorant populace will continue to cling to the government fed propaganda

until the ice age comes

(whoops, that was the threat in the 60's-70's, wrong era)

the boiling age comes

I am friends with a NASA meteorologist who told me global warming was being faked long ago, but the elite, who also knew it and used it to defraud the people should be "made to pay" for their fraud! Jail time, public humiliation, every one of them who knew the truth and continued to lie to gain control over the people of the world and to steal from the people under the guise of global warming!

My friend was powerless to do anything about the faking or risk losing his job which supported his little family. Especially after they tried to silence him and he nearly died.

edit on 8Mon, 09 Feb 2015 08:52:52 -0600am20902amk091 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

Bingo!

There are real and verifiable pollution concerns, but none of those are global in scale and offer TPTB the opportunity to impose taxes on you for simply being alive. A carbon tax is the one sin tax you can't dodge because you produce carbon dioxide as a by-product of being alive.

Nevermind that the planet's biosphere relies on the symbiotic exchange of gases carbon dioxide to oxygen, back and forth, between plants and animals.

link   
Sure, but isn't it a risk to assume that 1.) cycles cannot be broken and 2.) not everything that appears cyclical is, particularly when new things are introduced into the equation?

Mr X has a cycle of his blood pressure spiking, but it always comes down to a normal level again, so nothing to worry about. Until Mr X has that fatal stroke.

link   
Already posted day ago here.

This is just an example of the anti climate change crowd cherry picking data points.

It is cute how a lot of the resident anti man made climate faithful are up and already claiming victory over the climate debate because of this story.

Human ignorance is truly infinite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join