It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Reasons Why Christians Might Feel Impelled To Evangelize.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So many times on ATS people say I don't want to hear it. Or why do we even try ?
Yet for Christians who take the bible and Jesus words seriously, it something they feel compelled to do.
Realizing nobody should be forced and everybody should make their own choices.
BUT, the discussion MUST be had first. Personally if I don't think a person is accurately informed, I will talk to them, but if I discern that
they already know, I won't waste their time or mine. Here are the scriptures as to why we do it, and the level of importance it actually places on us to do it. Here are three reasons

1) God holds those with knowledge accountable to warn others.
Ezekiel 3:19

But as for you, in case you have warned someone wicked and he does not actually turn back from his wickedness and from his wicked way, he himself for his error will die; but as for you, you will have delivered your own soul.

Ezekiel 33: 8 & 9

When I say to someone wicked, ‘O wicked one, you will positively die! but you actually do not speak out to warn the wicked one from his way, he himself as a wicked one will die in his own error, but his blood I shall ask back at your own hand.
9 But as regards you, in case you actually warn someone wicked from his way [for him] to turn back from it but he actually does not turn back from his way, he himself will die in his own error, whereas you yourself will certainly deliver your own soul.

There is a high level of accountability a Christian has with God according to these verses, it is much the same as the secular laws in some countries known as "Duty To Rescue" violation of that law if proven, could produce jail time. The final episode of Seinfeld put all the main characters in jail, for violating this law.

So if someone's house is on fire, and we know somebody is inside, we can't say "not my problem" we have a moral obligation to help. Maybe we call 911, or we bang on their door trying to notify them, or maybe we even go in and rescue them if we are strong enough, and brave enough. The point is we do something if we have moral character, we don't say "too bad let them roast".

2) Jesus told us to, just before he left the earth, it was his final command, his last words would be very important.
Matthew 28: 18-20

Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Real Christians just can't ignore that final statement from Jesus, the amount they do will vary from person to person, but if they NEVER do it, or say that's all on my minister/church they might need to re-evaluate their perspective on this verse.

3) Bible Prophesy
Matthew 24:14

And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Revelation 14:6

And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, and he had everlasting good news to declare to those who dwell on the earth, to every nation and tribe and tongue and people. 7 He was saying in a loud voice: “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of judgment by him has arrived, so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and the springs of water.”

In our time the message from God would be preached by humans and backed up by the angels.

edit on 8-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks its something to remember, and it was written well.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Very well said, thank you for taking the time to post this.

How you deal with spreading the Good News should be a lesson for all.

So many nut jobs take it where it doesn't need to go and shine such a negative light that many hear the Word and instantly turn a def ear.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I like to think of it more as promotion of understanding, but of course, you are correct that it might also start some thinking.

However, I never lose site of the fact that those we engage in discussions with are hoping the same thing we are from their own perspective in many cases. So I try to keep that in mind as I go along. If they don't want to feel evangelized to, then I will do my best to oblige them without compromising what I feel still needs to be said.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

We know why you proselytize. But your rights end where ours begin and we don't want to hear it. Of course coming to a bulletin board like this about the topic is an exception. I'm referring to proselytizers who infest forums that are not about religion and proselytize and knock on doors and stop people in public and proselytize. Do you understand the difference? Do you think your rights take precedence over ours?
edit on 8-2-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Wicked is..... as wicked does, right?

God and Jesus warn us about all kindsa perils, but they never seem to give us the definitive tools -- the guidelines of pure, spiritual evolution. Why complicate it?? S/He should want to make it apparent to us surface-dwellers. I can't imagine wanting planetary worship, but if I did, I'd instruct all the creatures to just chill, except where the growing need for nutrition trumped respect of life.

"He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart." (Proverbs 11:29)

edit on 8/2/15 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

We know why you proselytize. But your rights end where ours begin and we don't want to hear it. Of course coming to a bulletin board like this about the topic is an exception. I'm referring to proselytizers who infest forums that are not about religion and proselytize and knock on doors and stop people in public and proselytize. Do you understand the difference? Do you think your rights take precedence over ours?

Simply put your rights are to let us know you don't want to discuss it, and I have to have the common sense to respect your right, and leave you be. But people change, circumstances change and it flows both ways, I have seen many posts on ATS that have either said I used to be an athiest or I used to a Christian.
A Christian needs to show respect for others even with his mandate from Jesus, for example in the work place, I never engage first, I always let people come to me, once they know that I am a Christian. It has to be on their terms.
It always does for some, for example after they attend a funeral of somebody who died.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Of course, there is no way to know who wants to hear it and who doesn't before you start.

And there are also plenty of times where no one wants to see or here the atheist message either, but we all get to. So, maybe you should just understand that there will be times when you have to see or hear things you'd rather not.
edit on 8-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Or why do we even try ?

When people say that to me I think back to Noah. He preached for 120 years straight and didn't gain a single convert.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

Simply put your rights are to let us know you don't want to discuss it, and I have to have the common sense to respect your right, and leave you be. But people change, circumstances change and it flows both ways, I have seen many posts on ATS that have either said I used to be an athiest or I used to a Christian.
A Christian needs to show respect for others even with his mandate from Jesus, for example in the work place, I never engage first, I always let people come to me, once they know that I am a Christian. It has to be on their terms.
It always does for some, for example after they attend a funeral of somebody who died.

So you're saying you have an inherent right to pound on doors and stop people in public and go into chatrooms and on bulletin boards that are not about religion and proselytize until someone tells you to stop? In other words, you have a right to violate other's rights until they say no? I strongly disagree with that. If people want to hear about religion they know where to find churches, libraries, and websites.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Of course, there is no way to know who wants to hear it and who doesn't before you start.

And there are also plenty of times where no one wants to see or here the atheist message either, but we all get to. So, maybe you should just understand that there will be times when you have to see or hear things you'd rather not.

Of course there is a way to know. If they've come to your church, they want to hear it. If they've sought out your website, they want to hear it. If they're reading your book, they want to hear about it. If not not.

Do you have a concept of violation of privacy? If so, what might it be when it comes to something like this?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Or why do we even try ?

When people say that to me I think back to Noah. He preached for 120 years straight and didn't gain a single convert.

And Dumbledore ran Hogwarts.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
[post]originally posted by: Tangerine

So you're saying you have an inherent right to pound on doors and stop people in public and go into chatrooms and on bulletin boards that are not about religion and proselytize until someone tells you to stop? In other words, you have a right to violate other's rights until they say no? I strongly disagree with that. If people want to hear about religion they know where to find churches, libraries, and websites.

It's all about a balanced perspective, yours is vastly different than mine, trying to inform people about what is coming and what they can do about it, is like throwing a drowning man a life preserver, it can't be violating his rights, ever.
But he has the free choice to push it away, thus diminishing his chances of survival. We move on and throw one to the next person drowning in the water. Honestly we try not to hit them in the head when we throw it, but my throws aren't perfect, and they can move at the last second too.

edit on 9-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

[post]originally posted by: Tangerine

It's all about a balanced perspective, yours is vastly different than mine, trying to inform people about what is coming and what they can do about it, is like throwing a drowning man a life preserver, it can't be violating his rights, ever.
But he has the free choice to push it away, thus diminishing his chances of survival. We move on and throw one to the next person drowning in the water. Honestly we try not to hit them in the head when we throw it, but my throws aren't perfect, and they can move at the last second too.

So you have a right to pound on someone's door uninvited or stop someone from going about their business? No, you don't. I don't know why you can't understand that. You've taken the position that your rights are more important than the rights of others. People have a right to privacy, do they not? People have a right to go about their business in public, do they not?
edit on 9-2-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I have listed the examples of people in peril, either drowning or in a burning home and how a human has a basic moral obligation to try to help them live and survive those situations, and you ask me why I can't understand, I pose the same question back to you ?

If you can't comprehend my perspective, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Or why do we even try ?

And Dumbledore ran Hogwarts.

You're a troll.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
A part of me believes that fear often plays a role in someone reaching out and trying to bring others into the fold.Depending on where someone is on their walk with Christ they may be deeply concerned for a loved one or that others may suffer the torments of hell.I can see this as a reflection of Christ's call to love others as yourself in an altruistic sense, especially if they are experiencing some of the crisis life sometimes throws at us.

Unfortunately, Matthew 10:34-39 comes to mind, reflecting on this dynamic playing out in my own life.

34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.

I've seen family in turmoil when someone is reborn and the line between fear of the Lord and judging others becomes blurred.Their new perspective can drive a wedge between them and the rest of their family if they let their guard down and ignorance takes over.We can't force others to love someone, and I doubt words alone are enough to turn someone's heart to Christ.For me, the later half of this scripture is a call to focus on the principles of Jesus ministry and to remember witnessing a positive example in action means more then any words can convey.

I feel that those who come on a little too strong in their zeal gradually come to this realization as their sense of awareness grows and they mature spiritually (This takes time).Humility isn't exactly the first thing you think of when you look at the differences that separate us, after all.

edit on 9-2-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

So many times on ATS people say I don't want to hear it. Or why do we even try ?
Yet for Christians who take the bible and Jesus words seriously, it something they feel compelled to do.

I think of proselytizing as advertisement campaign to win converts and that isnt a problem in itself because everybody has the right to promote what they believe. the problem is that christians advertise their religion dishonestly, they do so using only the nice bits of the bible and leave out the nasty bits.

you say "Jesus loves you he died for you blah blah" to portray Jesus as a nice guy but you leave out the bit about jesus ordering the deaths of those who opposed him and the "I came not to bring peace but a sword". you dont even touch upon these types of verses in your campaigns.

second christians are also extremely manipulative and play heavily on peoples emotions. saying "he died for you wont you accept him" is pure emotional blackmail 101.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Oh I don't know. But I do know that most of society runs on an atheist perspective particularly when it comes to school, so if my rights end where yours begin ... then you should be very happy most of the time as your life is more or less free from religion.

But mine is not so happy as mine is more or less free from religion thanks to society's belief that this is fair.

You get your way most of the time, but I don't get mine except in private.

So stick a sock in it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
So christians have a moral obligation to warn us just like firefighters have the right to educate us about fire hazards?
These two things have nothing in common, because fire is a real danger and evidence can be seen everywhere.
However talking at me about your own belief and what you think could happen to me if I don't has no merit in reality [and that my religious friends is MY belief].

I see animals living fine lives without a god, I see religions that are not yours and they seem to be doing ok, I know that for thousands of years people believed in multiple gods and not yours lived quite nice lives, druids, buddhists, witches, tribes of the Amazon, tribes in Africa, Aboriginies in Australia. All these humans live without Jesus and they are doing ok.

This means that yours is just one of MANY, MANY belief systems, with no actual evidence.

Someone once said [sorry can't remember who]: "It's your hell, you go and burn in it."

In my reality there is no hell, nor armageddon, nor anything else. There are only humans [and they are bad enough]. Maybe you should try my reality for a change [but I won't hassle you]?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join