It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My New AR-15

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Just bought my first AR-15.

I have bolt action rifles, I have an AK-47 and an AK-74, I have a wide variety of handguns, but for some reason never purchased an AR-15 until recently.

Put a quad rail, crappy angled foregrip that I had lying around (will be replaced soon), and a Hogue collapsible stock and grip on it.

Does anyone have any Magpul stuff AND Hogue stuff in OD green? I'm wondering how close the colors are...

Is there another manufacturer that makes a good angled foregrip that you might recommend? Has anyone used "Green Blob" brand Tactical Ergonomic Foregrips? Are they any good?

I'm quite pleased with it - got it at a good price and can't wait for the weekend.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Congrats on the new rifle! I've only used the magpul AFG but I like them. I was going to say mako makes one but after searching for the "green blob" they appear to be the same grip. Bravo Company also makes this.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

This is my most recent AR build.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have some nice, comfortable aftermarket parts on that rifle that turned it into a seriously accurate weapon.

I have since sold it and have decided to go down the AKM route for a fighting rifle.

You have a very nice piece of equipment there. I like the AR platform for its barbie doll appeal, but it is expensive to shoot if you're not a reloader.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Congrats on your "big black scary"......tool.

Does anyone have any Magpul stuff AND Hogue stuff in OD green? 

Tow words, Crylon fusion paint I paint all my plastic parts, stocks and fore grips with it and it comes in OD green.
As for Green blob iv never used their brand but if heard mixed reviews some good some not so good. Low grade plastic mainly.
And again congrats on your new tool.
edit on 4-2-2015 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I just today received a Slidefire stock for my AR-15, I would recommend you consider one.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I don't mean to derail the thread, but can the slide fire stock be changed out with a regular stock fairly easily or is it a pain in the butt?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Any of you guys know anyone who bought a 80% AR from guns80.com ???

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You better be careful with your super high capacity death dealing AK-47/M-9000/Death Ray assault rifle! The next mass shooting is on your hands!!!!!!!

Or so gun control freaks would lead us to believe, if they could. Hopefully the over-use of exclamations tipped you off to my sarcasm.

Congrats on the buy. I love the platform. Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I just today received a Slidefire stock for my AR-15, I would recommend you consider one.

Why, so he can convert money into noise at a higher rate of speed while failing to hit whatever he's aiming at?

Slidefire is a silly waste of money. As long as you're doing it for giggles, by all means... but definitely don't present it as having some sort of tactical benefit.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Hola, Sausage King!

I have fired plenty of other people's ARs, including one with a bump-fire stock, it's a literal blast to shoot but I must have spent $80 on ammo in about 120 seconds.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ex_MislTech

At Shot Show they had a company completing 80% lowers about two booths down from the ATF booth..

My FFL found that pretty hilarious. =]

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

Hola, Sausage King!

I have fired plenty of other people's ARs, including one with a bump-fire stock, it's a literal blast to shoot but I must have spent $80 on ammo in about 120 seconds.

As I sit here with an M-16 propped in the corner, I must say... yep. The novelty wears thin after the first few hundred dollars worth of ammo is burned up.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Congrats on your "big black scary"......tool.

Does anyone have any Magpul stuff AND Hogue stuff in OD green? 

Tow words, Crylon fusion paint I paint all my plastic parts, stocks and fore grips with it and it comes in OD green.
As for Green blob iv never used their brand but if heard mixed reviews some good some not so good. Low grade plastic mainly.
And again congrats on your new tool.

Yeah, they claim to be a good poly. I really like the fiberglass with rubber coating that Hogue does. I don't think I've used a Hogue grip on anything that I didn't absolutely love.

Hogue needs to do an angled foregrip. I am going to go with the Magpul in OD - just hope it's not too far off of Hogue's interpretation.

I'm no stranger to Krylon!

imgur.com...

imgur.com...
edit on 4-2-2015 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

At Shot Show they had a company completing 80% lowers about two booths down from the ATF booth..

I assume they were completing customer-owned lowers.

Otherwise, they were manufacturing.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
projectvxn - what gas block conversion did you use? I like your setup, want to get rid of this front site tower and get some good backups asap.

Took an RDS off of one of my AKs - they are more fun with irons anyway.. Need to get something legitimate soon though.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

I assume they were completing customer-owned lowers.

Otherwise, they were manufacturing.

Yes, absolutely they were.

I just found the story to be humorous, I wasn't there myself but tend to have BS sessions with the guy at my local gun store, who witnessed it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

projectvxn - what gas block conversion did you use? I like your setup, want to get rid of this front site tower and get some good backups asap.

Took an RDS off of one of my AKs - they are more fun with irons anyway.. Need to get something legitimate soon though.

I have a spare picatinny gas block like that if you want it.

Keep in mind you shouldn't run MagPul back-ups on a picatinny gas block because the block WILL get hot enough to melt the polymer with sustained fire.

Just an fyi: I'm not simply speaking from my rectum... I'm an 07 manufacturer with Class II/SOT. My company manufactures AR's and suppressors.
edit on 2/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I could always bring them back on the quad rail - I might just go for broke and get a longer free floating rail.

When doing the swap like vxn's do you keep and use the handguard cap? I wanted to buy a complete AR before I attempted to build one, so this kind of stuff is exactly what I was looking for.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

I have a spare picatinny gas block like that if you want it.

Keep in mind you shouldn't run MagPul back-ups on a picatinny gas block because the block WILL get hot enough to melt the polymer with sustained fire.

Just an fyi: I'm not simply speaking from my rectum... I'm an 07 manufacturer with Class II/SOT. My company manufactures AR's and suppressors.

Wouldn't have thunk it - I'm open to any good advice you have to give. =]

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

a reply to: Answer

I could always bring them back on the quad rail - I might just go for broke and get a longer free floating rail.

When doing the swap like vxn's do you keep and use the handguard cap? I wanted to buy a complete AR before I attempted to build one, so this kind of stuff is exactly what I was looking for.

If you want to keep using your 2-piece rail, you'll have to keep the handguard cap regardless of which gas block you use.

You'll be MUCH happier switching to a longer rail. I've talked many many customers into longer handguards and they are always happy with their decision.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join