It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our brains are quantum computers and consciousness is not a biochemical process

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Newly discovered evidence ( year old) seems to shed light on the concept that our brains work on a level dimensions beyond the capabilities of its biochemical ability. Mainstream science widely accepts that consciousness occurs from nothing more than a biochemical process whereas controversial theorists for 20 years claim otherwise. That consciousness is derived from 'elsewhere' and is prevalent in the universe. That the universe is consciousness. While whether the universe is consciousness or not is out of scope of this OP, what has been proven is that the brain, or our entire bodies for that reason, is a macroscopic quantum system.

What discovery has lead to such a wild assumption? The discovery of quantum vibrations in microtubules inside brain neurons.

A review and update of a controversial 20-year-old theory of consciousness claims that consciousness derives from deeper level, finer scale activities inside brain neurons. The recent discovery of quantum vibrations in "microtubules" inside brain neurons corroborates this theory, according to review authors. They suggest that EEG rhythms (brain waves) also derive from deeper level microtubule vibrations, and that from a practical standpoint, treating brain microtubule vibrations could benefit a host of mental, neurological, and cognitive conditions.

The theory, called "orchestrated objective reduction" ('Orch OR'), was first put forward in the mid-1990s by eminent mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose, FRS, Mathematical Institute and Wadham College, University of Oxford, and prominent anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff, MD, Anesthesiology, Psychology and Center for Consciousness Studies, The University of Arizona, Tucson. They suggested that quantum vibrational computations in microtubules were "orchestrated" ("Orch") by synaptic inputs and memory stored in microtubules, and terminated by Penrose "objective reduction" ('OR'), hence "Orch OR." Microtubules are major components of the cell structural skeleton.

www.sciencedaily.com...

What's more in a subsequent article is:

The particles and atoms in your body are "entangled" with each other: they receive and transmit information not just by biochemical means, but by the remarkable process known in quantum physics as "phase-conjugate quantum resonance." Phase-conjugate quantum resonance is a term used by physicists that means that the particles are "non-locally entangled." It is thanks to the existence of this ultrafast, ultrasubtle, but enormously efficient way of transmitting information that your body can be alive, and stay alive.

Our bodies are literally quantum machines harmonizing in sync as cells and molecules do a "dance" replicating themselves and work in unison with our organs, in body mind and health. Consciousness too may actually be derived "non-locally" from a quantum level.

This makes sense because living systems exhibit highly and until recently inexplicably coherent behavior. Their cells and organs resonate in phase, and the entire living organism seems to obey one encompassing "macroscopic wave-function." In other words, instead of functioning like a bunch of cells and chemicals each doing their own thing unaware of each other, all the biochemical and bioelectric dance in superb coordination acts like a giant wave which moves and flows as one, despite the many individual droplets that are within it.

"The origin of consciousness reflects our place in the universe, the nature of our existence. Did consciousness evolve from complex computations among brain neurons, as most scientists assert? Or has consciousness, in some sense, been here all along, as spiritual approaches maintain?" ask Hameroff and Penrose in the current review. "This opens a potential Pandora's Box, but our theory accommodates both these views, suggesting consciousness derives from quantum vibrations in microtubules, protein polymers inside brain neurons, which both govern neuronal and synaptic function, and connect brain processes to self-organizing processes in the fine scale, 'proto-conscious' quantum structure of reality."

For me, this also lends even more credence to simulation theory or the holographic universe theory. I have already done threads on Phi (golden ratio, dragon curve), simulation theory, and code discovered in string theory equations. These are some of my interests. Consciousness, intelligent design and evolution together, Gnosticism, Theology and UFO's. For me, this is just another nail in the coffin that life just goes on and on and on...

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 28-1-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I am replying just because you deserve a reply. I have nothing to add. I suspect others have nothing to add either. It's pretty much uncharted territory.

Good post.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I certainly agree that conciousness exists out with the 3 dimensional structure of our brain. As to our brains being quantum computers, well they certainly operate way beyond the capability of our current definition of what computers are, which is essentially a glorified adding machine. Good find OP!

edit on 28-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Here is Hameroff's website, if you haven't already seen it: www.quantumconsciousness.org...

And here is a journal you might enjoy that relates to this field: www.neuroquantology.com...

Interesting stuff...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

In a way I am grateful to all the meatsackers. At their insistence, many have divorced themselves of the age old "who and what we ares" and are now exploring the " who and what we might be's". I find this ever so much more exciting. Thanks for the added info Solo.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Sounds like science is shaking hands with religion. Eventually it will come together IMO.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So is this why cats purr?'

S and F

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
dp
edit on 28-1-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I agree and I have a theory of my own. How everything works together like that on a quantum level. Look into Cymatics and the different patterns sound frequencies make on sand. Or perhaps the patterns are invisible and always there until you expose it. Like spraying water on a laser revealing its presence.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

What's the state beyond quantum computers? Decades ago quantum computers weren't even thought of, as far as I know. So now that they've been described, suddenly the brain is a quantum computer? What happens when the next big thing comes along, say the 'Photon ghost hoe-down theory', which gerrymanderingly describes and proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt (while also mathematically describing what a shadow of a doubt looks like and is made of), a theory of everything and of nothing at the same time? Will our brains then be called 'Photon ghost hoe-down computers' ? The short answer is: sure.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

www.youtube.com...=787

at 12:30

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Certainly makes sense to me that ''consciousness'' is essentially sensory perception of ''quantum vibrations'' and ''quantum resonance''.

The Universe as I have often said for many years, communicates via vibrations and resonant energies. Stay tuned!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Ingo Swann went on and on about how RV and other "PSI" type actions were not bound by time/distance. They were immediate and in disregard for physical distance or encumberance.

This article is a continuation of one of the most fascinating bits of neuroscience to come out of the 90's. And seems to support Swann, who is seemingly the best example of someone trying to actually understand PSI events.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
So is this why cats purr?'

S and F

Cats purr in mantra. Zen masters each and every one.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Here's your video, very good, thanks. I started at 12:30, and it really picked up about a minute later. Listened for a long time, lots of good data.

To Bigfatfurrytexan:

Ingo Swann is one of the greats. Loved his work, his commitment to getting data out to the public, and his uniqueness in his field. Someone should do a movie of his life, or a well-produced documentary.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I think the equation of our bodies to quantum machines is pretty accurate.

I find it extremely interesting that non-locality is applied here as well. But when you consider all of the processes and interdependent cells that have to go off with precision far greater than an h-bomb, a quantum computer is likely the only thing able to keep up.

I share similar interests FlySolo, and I really look forward to discussing this further with you. I believe that the simulation theory holds a lot of merit, but in order for it to ever be more than a theory we need proof. This could put that proof one step closer.

JB

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

We need to come with a testable theory. That's how they like things done around peer reviewed papers.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I already have a thread talking about the very same topic here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As to our brains being quantum computers yes that sounds about right.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Yes, thanks for that. Not sure how to embed when it has two = signs.

It's a good video. Like you said, lots of information. And he goes into address what the skeptics say regarding quantum computing cohesion needing to be at absolute 0 and proving it wrong. Then the discussion about anesthesia and its effects on proteins vs microtubules. Things I never knew about.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I see, so you have

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join