It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg prices skyrocket in California as new chicken housing law takes effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A new chicken housing law in California has taken hold and the price of eggs is up and likely will go higher yet.

The new rules were approved by voters in 2008, and require farmers selling eggs in California to house hens in cages with enough space to move around and stretch their wings.
Chickens by law must have more space to move around. A poultry technician at Cal Poly says each chicken will receive 116 square inches of space, up from 69.

abc7news.com...

"Some shoppers are already seeing an increase in egg prices.

Sandre Bay just paid $5.29 for a dozen and a half regular eggs. Her son's brown organic eggs cost $5.49."

A dozen eggs in northern indiana costs around $1.50, just for comparison.

Prices could go as much as 40% higher
www.ans.iastate.edu...

Well I guess they can't really complain, they voted for the changes. The price was bound to rise as a result.
edit on 28-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Added content

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Hey they've been pushing new regulations for years. Now that they got it, enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
A new chicken housing law in California has taken hold and the price of eggs is up and likely will go higher yet.

The new rules were approved by voters in 2008, and require farmers selling eggs in California to house hens in cages with enough space to move around and stretch their wings.
Chickens by law must have more space to move around. A poultry technician at Cal Poly says each chicken will receive 116 square inches of space, up from 69.

abc7news.com...

"Some shoppers are already seeing an increase in egg prices.

Sandre Bay just paid $5.29 for a dozen and a half regular eggs. Her son's brown organic eggs cost $5.49."

A dozen eggs in northern indiana costs around $1.50, just for comparison.

Prices could go as much as 40% higher
www.ans.iastate.edu...

Well I guess they can't really complain, they voted for the changes. The price was bound to rise as a result.

I don't see a problem, I think it's absolute torture for the chickens. Can you imagine being stuck in cage, and on top of that a cage so small you can't even move?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Eggs are still pretty cheap here in AZ but I have my own chickens anyway. I love them they eat bugs and scorpions around my house and scratch up the dirt in my garden. I just hate it when they eat my tomato plants.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
get your own chickens, I have 6 we feed them our scraps minus any meat and also buy them corn, 6 frsh eggs every morning for the grand price of free (my favorite price)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Exactly, they're good for eggs and helping with minor pest control. My aunt had a bunch of them that she kept for eggs and she always was so proud that they helped get rid of the little bugs that attacked her plants. Thanks for bringing that up, that's another plus to owning your own

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
get your own chickens, I have 6 we feed them our scraps minus any meat and also buy them corn, 6 frsh eggs every morning for the grand price of free (my favorite price)

That might not be an option in urban areas.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Gotta love the system.

Oh well, all for the increase if the chickens can at least move.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I don't have a problem with accommodating animals, I mean many rely on them for food and it stands to reason they should have proper, safe, clean and healthy environments to raise/produce in. But what does get me is how people were all for the new regulations.....but don't like the end result--spending a little more.

I don't get people.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yep. I just noticed that 18 eggs were $4.99 at the 99 Cents Only store, here in Riverside County! LOL

I'll be buying my eggs directly from the chicken farms from now on.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Cause not every one agrees that they need to pay for the company to treat the animal humanely.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I think it's hypocritical. Wanted better conditions but hate the slight increase. The whole system needs to be changed and not just the farming system.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This will not stop at just egg prices. Lots of things are made with eggs as an ingredient. Cakes and pies for example. Maybe those manufactures will get their eggs somewhere else though.
I feel for the people just scraping by with their food budgets, they will be the ones to suffer.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

So now the poorer people are going to have to pay exorbitant amounts for their eggs. I personally only buy free range organic eggs, but I can afford to be picky. This is a prime example of how liberals are often their own worst enemy. I'm sure the same low info libs will be complaining about "inflation" , the feds, and the joos, not connecting the dots to how their own stupid utopian regulations are often the biggest driver of costs hurting poor people.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The people who voted for this law are obviously racists who hate the poor and minorities. Rich white people can still afford eggs. Too bad for the rest of you.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm willing to pay more for meat if the animals receive better treatment.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
This is a prime example of how liberals are often their own worst enemy.

Yes empathy is our worst enemy...and we are damn proud of it!!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Meh don't see how it is hypocritical.

But I get it, in our system, businesses don't need to lose any sort of profit so all increases need to be past down.

Socialize the loses, privatize the profit.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm not going to play the political card on this one. I think most everybody wants the animals treated better. They just had no clue how it would hit them where it counts in the end.
Whats that old expression? Nobody wants to see how the sausage is made.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I feel for the people just scraping by with their food budgets, they will be the ones to suffer.

But if you ran the businesses you would still hike up the prices right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join