It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Blunket has just resigned!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Home secretary David blunkett has just anounced that he is resigning

More on this soon, This has just been announced.

[qoute]David Blunkett has resigned as Home Secretary after a series of damaging revelations about him.

The high-profile Cabinet member had been under pressure to quit his post following claims he fast-tracked a visa for the nanny of his ex-lover Kimberly Quinn.

Mr Blunkett was at the centre of an inquiry by former Treasury official Sir Alan Budd into the claims.

There have also been allegations this week that he speeded-up a second visa for nanny Leoncia Casalme

SKynews

www.sky.com...

[edit on 15-12-2004 by asala]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here's a good link with live video coverage....I just heard it too..

news.bbc.co.uk...

I guess he wo'nt be singing anytime soon....

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Mark Oaten dubbed David Blunkett authoritarian and headline-grabbing - but also described the affair as a personal tragedy. quote:

He said the pressure mounting on Mr Blunkett had left the Sheffield MP with no option but to stand down.
Mr Oaten said: "This is obviously a personal tragedy for David Blunkett and his resignation had, sadly, become inevitable.

Norwich South MP Charles Clarke is tipped to be next Home Secretary...

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Horus_Re]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's proberly best he has resigned, although i don't like the man for his policies, I'm disgusted how the media has treated him.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
It's proberly best he has resigned, although i don't like the man for his policies, I'm disgusted how the media has treated him.

I'd have to agree with you on that..they did go after him like starving hyenas...it has been way too over rated.

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Horus_Re]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I haven't like Blunkett for about 2 years. As gfar as I can see, Anti Social behaviour has been ridiculously growing (although the past few motnhs have been not too bad) and if you can't blame the Home Secretary for crime, who can you (Apart from us civilians, obviously).

I'm sure whoever replaces him will do a better job, even if it's only slightly.

And if Lady Luck blesses us, the whole mess might edge someone else closer to Blairs seat, whoever it may be. I know lot's of people would rather see Gordon Brown in the top position....

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think it's coming to something when the piece of apparantly hugely incrimination evidence is an email which says "no special favours but quick as you can".

It's not exactly "cash/freebies for questions" or a couple of cases of gross perjury sufficient to get one convicted and banged up in jail is it?

Blunkett made too many enemies in his won party. That more than anything is why he resigned.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well, he had no choice but to resign really. Like him or not, why the hell was this so hyped up? Its as if the Media wanted him to loose his job over very little.

This is REALLY an Issue of Brown's takeover of the party, note how Blair has now very few of his allies/friends left in the party?

I wouldn't trust Brown at all, that guys in it for no-one but himself. We need a good LABOUR leader who actually cares about this country. As in, not another Tory boy in charge of it. WHY can we not of parties who actually stand for what is in their name again? Gagh.

I gotta feel sorry for Blunkett even if he wasn't a great guy for the job. Yes, Antisocial behavoir is still growing, but that's due to an inefficiently managed police force. The ASOB order was like have an army equiped with ammunition but no guns, putting a bandaid on a broken arm. This whole country needs a ground-up rebuild.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well, its probably best.

I doubt he would of won the legal battle.

new topics

top topics

join