It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New GOP Senate Humiliates Harry Reid With Major Announcement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

“We actually reached a milestone here that I think is noteworthy for the Senate. We just passed our fifteenth roll call vote on an amendment, on this bill, which is more roll call votes on amendments than the entire United States Senate in all of 2014.”

This is a direct quote from the new Senate Majority Leader in America. In less than a month they have been more productive than Senator Reid in all of 2014! This seems so obvious that Reid was keeping the Senate gridlocked and refusing to vote for many things. It's great to see Congress trying to make changes instead of being stuck fighting over petty things.

I know this is considered a conservative website, but the quote is still true and this still did happen.

Link

Does everyone see this as a good thing or something that is useless and doesn't change anything?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

They had a busy couple of days...

Senate.org

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Awesome link!

Looks like Obama will have to take a morning off of golf to veto all the accepted bills.

Hope his hand doesn't cramp up-- that can do horrors on your short-game

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
About time the senate did something, even if it's wrong. Let's see what the rest of the government does with the bills.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Being productive and doing one's job are two different things entirely. It's nice to see that they're actually doing what they were voted in to do...but nearly nothing that this congress passes and sends to the president will get enacted into law.

I fail to see the productivity...but as far as our federal government is concerned, doing nothing at this point is better for the nation. We need freedom-inhibiting laws revoked, not more of them passed.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You are partially right. They are pushing the changes they made during their campaigns. Thats what they should be doing.
But I think it is productive even though the president will veto the bills. He has to make the decisions and take the responsibility for himself. The American voters can decide if they like the decisions the democrat president made. His choices will be on record during the next election.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
One one whole more roll calls than in 2014. H.R. 803 had 14. Let's see what the GOP didn't let go through.

Menendez Amdt. No. 72 As Modified; To ensure private property cannot be seized through condemnation or eminent domain for the private gain of a foreign-owned business entity.

Looks like they think some foreign company has more rights to your land than a American citizens does.

Wyden Amdt. No. 27; To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify that products derived from tar sands are crude oil for purposes of the Federal excise tax on petroleum.

Looks like they don't want that foreign company to pay taxes either.

Fischer Amdt. No. 18, As Modified; To provide limits on the designation of new federally protected land.

Boxer Amdt. No. 113; To express the sense of Congress regarding federally protected land.

Who cares about nature if there's oil underneath it.

Toomey Amdt. No. 41; To continue cleaning up fields and streams while protecting neighborhoods, generating affordable energy, and creating jobs.

Durbin Amdt. No. 69; To ensure that the storage and transportation of petroleum coke is regulated in a manner that ensures the protection of public and ecological health.

Who needs fresh water and places to fish profit from destroying the land is more important.

In case people who looked at the link Elton provided and wondered what the motion to table means it's the same as killing that part of the bill. So the GOP is putting foreign-owned business interests before all American interests. Foreign materials can be used to build it, they want no taxes from it, and they want to give foreign-owned business entities more rights to our land than we do. With this bill alone they are showing they are the most anti American congress this nation has ever seen. I hope the people that voted these traitors into office are happy.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

"I hope the people that voted these traitors into office are happy."

The GOP is always happy when they are in destruct mode. That is how they use their power. I pray they get everything they want, quickly. I am preparing a place for my family to come when their policies fail again, this time, it will be an all out BIG DEPRESSION. And the wealthy know too and are preparing for the next GOP global failure. But they will continue to use the GOP to amass as much as they can for that day. We have bridges sitting on rr ties and all they want is more infrastructure for oil. To the benefit of foreign corporations and governnments.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
From Wiki....An excise is considered an indirect tax, meaning that the producer or seller who pays the tax to the government is expected to try to recover or shift the tax by raising the price paid by the buyer. Excises are typically imposed in addition to another indirect tax such as a sales tax or value added tax (VAT). In common terminology (but not necessarily in law), an excise is distinguished from a sales tax or VAT in three ways: (i) an excise typically applies to a narrower range of products; (ii) an excise is typically heavier, accounting for a higher fraction of the retail price of the targeted products; and (iii) an excise is typically a per unit tax, costing a specific amount for a volume or unit of the item purchased, whereas a sales tax or VAT is an ad valorem tax and proportional to the price of the good.

I think its the opposite Buster they want tax monies......out of our pockets though.....

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

Does everyone see this as a good thing or something that is useless and doesn't change anything?

I thought the Senate was supposed to be the 'higher' chamber. The place where bills and amendments are passionately debated for consideration before being voted on by the full senate. Instead, when McConnell and a few other GOP senators feels they're going to be late to a Koch brothers funded retreat in Florida then all debate must end.

Senator McConnell’s rush to vote on amendments without providing time to read or debate them could have something to do with this Koch retreat tomorrow, which a number of Republican senators are reportedly attending…

Senate’s marathon Keystone debate ends in anger

Either, way all that talk about voting and passing bills is seemingly for not:

The Keystone bill’s backers initially eyed an end to pipeline votes this week. But legislation once viewed as an easy layup for the new GOP Senate is now starting to become mired in partisan resistance from as the Democratic minority digs in its heels on McConnell’s vow for freewheeling debate.

Keystone bill to fall short in Monday vote

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Harry Reid was the Obama flunky for 6 years.

Harry made sure Obama never actually had to face the issues.

Now it's time to pay the piper.

No wonder Harry had his coincidental injury.

He is so embarrassed now.

Obama has ordered 12 dozen new pens.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

All these amendments.

Can somebody quote the original bill language that threatens what the amendments claim?

Or are these just reactive zeros.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

God forbid we ever get back to 4.4% unemployment like late 2006/early 2007.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

God forbid we get the trillions back we spent on a useless muslim country to build them a military. God forbid we give back our troops their arms, legs, brains. What did all that money accomplish?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
"In the land of the Blind, the one-eyed man was King."
Thank God, Reid is OUT...and we've finally got a functioning Senate with vision.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

It's not the quantity but rather the quality that counts.

Anyone can deliver a load of trash and the GOP specializes in it.

If it makes you happy to see your elected officials getting absolutely nothing accomplished on your dime, this news should tickle you pink.

ETA; I doubt that Harry Reid will ever be humiliated or embarrassed by anything the GOP thinks or does. Unless you're talking about being embarrassed "for them," as opposed to "by them."
edit on 26-1-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Confucius say:

never complain about heavy grocery bags

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish
It's not the quantity but rather the quality that counts.

Funny how the conservatives on this site say the same thing about Obama's executive orders.

I guess as long as there's the illusion of something happening then it's 'good government work.' If it's anything of substance it's wasteful and totalitarian.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Obama's new "quantity" standard will be how many vetoes he signs.

He is a jealous, envious knee jerk reactionary.

Never anything original.

His veto statements will fill libraries.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
A lot of people are arguing "quality over quantity" for all the bills that have been voted on so far, but only Buster has actually argued specifically about the bills' contents.

My conclusion is that if Congress doesn't vote on anything, everyone complains of gridlock and them not doing their job.

If Congress (and specifically the Senate) vote on a number of bills that have been backlogged over the past year, everyone complains they aren't debating enough and letting anything just go through, therefore not doing their job.

I guess the only answer is to complain about our current situation. Waaah waaah

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join