It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLK Day Racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So it is MLK Jr. day and I'm watching the news on TV. I see Oprah and others giving speeches and crowds of people behind them. But I noticed something I didn't expect...those people standing behind the speaker are all black. Now I know that there are many, many, many white people who respect MLK and support his words and beliefs. So why aren't any of them standing there, behind the people giving speeches? Were they invited to stand there? Were they invited to celebrate this great man? Or were they either not invited, or just segregated from the stage?

Now I won't CALL it racist or racism even though I have an opinion. I will just leave this observation here for people to comment, debate or correct my observation. I know when there are speeches on President's day...many races are represented. I know when the current President gives a speech many races are represented. Why not today?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
So it is MLK Jr. day and I'm watching the news on TV. I see Oprah and others giving speeches and crowds of people behind them. But I noticed something I didn't expect...those people standing behind the speaker are all black. Now I know that there are many, many, many white people who respect MLK and support his words and beliefs. So why aren't any of them standing there, behind the people giving speeches? Were they invited to stand there? Were they invited to celebrate this great man? Or were they either not invited, or just segregated from the stage?

Now I won't CALL it racist or racism even though I have an opinion. I will just leave this observation here for people to comment, debate or correct my observation. I know when there are speeches on President's day...many races are represented. I know when the current President gives a speech many races are represented. Why not today?

Because they made it a circus. They perverted his work. Because the nation is at high tensions with racial problems. No one has the balls to address that.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
HELL NO it isn't.
HE was NOT about skin he was about UNITING the skins ALL as Americans...ONLY.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It would be ridiculous to think that there weren't white people involved in the civil rights movement.... good for them but, aside from societal advances, what did it do for whites? Did we put ourselves in a place of scorn and violence? As a rule, not a one off. Do we need a pat on the back for being human? MLK Day is a celebration of those that put themselves out there. Racist? Not seeing it.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
HELL NO it isn't.
HE was NOT about skin he was about UNITING the skins ALL as Americans...ONLY.

Then why on this day of all days is the segregation so obvious on these stages? Wouldn't it be better if there were people from every race, sex and belief standing there in celebration of MLK?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
It would be ridiculous to think that there weren't white people involved in the civil rights movement.... good for them but, aside from societal advances, what did it do for whites? Did we put ourselves in a place of scorn and violence? As a rule, not a one off. Do we need a pat on the back for being human? MLK Day is a celebration of those that put themselves out there. Racist? Not seeing it.

Sorry...but that doesn't ring for me. MLK was against color and race being an obstacle. He stood for ALL people are equal. Yet looking at that stage...apparently not. When you think about it and look at that stage, it sure looks like "black" day, not MLK and race acceptance day.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Oh...and hell yes white people put themselves in harms way. How many whites were hurt or killed for supporting blacks at that time. How about during the underground railroad? And how wrong is that to say they can't be represented. Not that they need to be there...but it sure looks one sided.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I admit I am white, but I still do not believe in MLK day. First, to me it is tokenism. Look at this guy; he was so great. I just don't get it. Second, I don't like the day. I know people have called me morbid because I believe that the day should be held on April 4th not January 15th. It is more important to show that MLK died for what he believed in than the fact that he was born. It does not focus on what the message was about. Next, what MLK did was not special. There had been many before MLK and all they got was lynched. MLK was standing on the shoulders of the others who came before him. Also, why was MLK successful when previous people failed? I think MLK's success has more to do with the changes in society brought about due to the second World War than any new philosophy brought out by MLK.

To me it would be better to have a Melting Pot Day. Pick a career for the each year and allow individual people to make a documentary of their ethnic groups contribution to that field. Small grants can be given out to produce these documentaries and they can be shown on PBS. Thus, we can show how all men are created equal and that all groups from different paths of life have contributed to this nation.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Sorry...but that doesn't ring for me.

Your prerogative. Btw, how old are you?

it sure looks like "black" day, not MLK and race acceptance day.

"Race acceptance"? How "superior".

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

I do agree that the day is not needed. Maybe even a little misplaced in the scheme of holidays, but I understand why it was enacted. I would personally rather see a Tolerance Day or Unity Day. But back to the question...is MLK day, they way it is celebrated...racist or racism?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream which he so eloquently expressed:

[i"]I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

His daughter was on the radio today and said she it is very heart warming to see whites, latinos, and asians protesting during the "black lives matter" rallies.

MLK's dream for his daughter was hijacked by opportunists who encourage identity politics.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Sorry...but that doesn't ring for me.

Your prerogative. Btw, how old are you?

it sure looks like "black" day, not MLK and race acceptance day.

"Race acceptance"? How "superior".

That was quite an ass-hole-ish statement. I'm 50 in a few days by the way. And by "race tolerance" I meant EVERY race accepting every other race. If you took that as a one way street...you have the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

"Thug life" is divisive and largely PERVADING and because there's money in such efforts, that want it to happen.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream which he so eloquently expressed:

[i"]I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

His daughter was on the radio today and said she it is very heart warming to see whites, latinos, and asians protesting during the "black lives matter" rallies.

MLK's dream for his daughter was hijacked by opportunists who encourage identity politics.

I agree with you about the politics. I've seen this over and over again like recently with Sharpton. Of all people to speak or educate on race, why this person who makes his living on assuring continued racism...or at least the appearance of racism.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

So is your point they you think they didn't allow white people there?

This of course is not race baiting right?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Then why on this day of all days is the segregation so obvious on these stages? Wouldn't it be better if there were people from every race, sex and belief standing there in celebration of MLK?

The message, not the man.

Its the same one in the Declaration of Independence…

"We hold these truths to be self evident… that all men are created equal."

Declaration text

If you are noticing skin color you are missing that message.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So is your point they you think they didn't allow white people there?

This of course is not race baiting right?

No point...an observation I never noticed before.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Comparing Sharpton to MLK is akin to comparing Hitler to JFK.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Although MLK was really fighting for the civil rights of black Americans, he included whites to show he had support from the white population. If he would have allowed only blacks to become involved in the movement, the outcome may have been different. I think some African Americans today have lost the importance of showing unity when it comes to calling attention to social injustice against their race. When you alienate other races, it's displaying the exact opposite.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The message, not the man.

Its the same one in the Declaration of Independence…

"We hold these truths to be self evident… that all men are created equal."

Declaration text

If you are noticing skin color you are missing that message.

Yes...and when it is said that there aren't enough black people in a particular job...it is racism. I happened to notice there were only black people behind the speakers. Is there a difference? Did I miss something that this day is for black people only when I believed it was for everyone?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join