It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clueless who to vote for in the the UK GE?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think on a local level I will have to vote for my conservative MP I decided.

Fact is my local MP has done a pretty good job doing research. I see no reason to out her.

She has no ties to big business.

comes from a normal background.

Represents the local views even if it conflicts with party interest.

Publishes all expenses receipts.

cant really complain.

I wish the new generation of conservatives would break from the old school torys and form there own party to be honest.
edit on 2-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I'll always be an anarchist at heart - unfortunately experience has taught me that what the heart wants is usually impractical for various reasons and its most often wisest to follow your head.

I like Class War and their aims, most of their policies are noble and well intentioned.

What I don't like about their organisation is that a disproportionate number of their activists are young people who come from the very same middle and upper classes they espouse to despise.
My experience of them is that most eventually become card carrying Tory party members in later life, usually after they gain their inheritance.

edit on 2/2/15 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just saw this posted earlier and thought I'd share... not saying it should sway anyone or that I even like Labour, but I still found some of it interesting.

1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
2. Low mortgage rates.
3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52 per hour.
4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
9. Employment is at its highest level ever.
10. 3,700 rebuilt and significantly refurbished schools; including new and improved classrooms, laboratories and kitchens.
11. 85,000 more nurses.
12. 32,000 more doctors.
13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.
19. Restored city-wide government to London.
20. Record number of students in higher education.
21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.
23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.
30. The Child Poverty Act – 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997: the shortest waiting times since NHS records began.
35. Banned fox hunting.
36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
37. Free TV licences for over-75s.
38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s and disabled people.
41. New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
42. Over 3 million child trust funds started.
43. Free eye test for over 60s.
44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.
46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

edit on 2/2/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
51. Gender Recognition Act 2004/5
52. Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.
53. Walk-in Health Centres and GP out of hours Service.
54. Digital hearing aids, through the NHS.
55. Children’s Act 2004, 2008 – Every Child Matters.
56. Introduced Smoke–Free legislation, 2007 – child health improving continually since.
57. Retail Distribution Review – ending commission for financial advisers
58. Introduced legislation to make company ‘blacklisting’ unlawful.
59. The Equality Act.
60. Established the Disability Rights Commission in 1999.
61. The Human Rights Act.
62 Signed the European Social Chapter.
63. Launched £1.5 billion Housing Pledge of new affordable housing.
64. The Autism Act 2009.
65. New Deal for Communities Regeneration Programme.
66. All prescriptions free for people being treated for cancer or the effects of cancer.
67. Introduced vaccination to be offered to teenage girls to protect against cervical cancer.
68. Rough sleeping dropped by two thirds and homelessness at its lowest level since the early 1980s
69. 2009 Marine and Coastal Access Act.
70. Increased Britain’s offshore wind capacity than any country in the world, to provide enough electricity to power 2 million homes .
71. Led the campaign to win the 2012 Olympics for London.
72. Introduced the first ever British Armed Forces and Veterans Day to honour past and present achievements of our armed forces.
73. Created a new right of pedestrian access, so that every family has equal opportunity to access the national coastline.
74. Led the campaign to agree a new international convention banning all cluster munitions.
75. Launched the Swimming Challenge Fund to support free swimming for over 60s and under 16s.
76. Sustainable Communities Act – created community safety partnerships.
77. Set up a dedicated Department for International Development.
78. Cancelled approximately 100 per cent of debt for the world’s poorest countries.
79. Helped lift 3 million people out of poverty each year, globally.
80. Helped to get 40 million more children into school, globally.
81. Polio is on the verge of being eradicated, globally.
82. 3 million people are now able to access life-preserving drugs for HIV and AIDS.
83. Improved water/sanitation services for over 1.5 million people.
84. Launched a Governance and Transparency Fund to improve governance and increase accountability in poor countries.
85. The Neighbourhood Renewal programme – introduced funding for neighbourhood improvements.
86. The Extending Schools Program – included Breakfast & Homework clubs to improved levels of educational achievement and the longer term life chances of disadvantaged children.
87. Launched the Connexions Service – provided valuable careers advice and support to young people seeking employment.
88. Working Family Tax credits to support low paid parents in work and to pay for childcare.
89. The Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
90. Established The Future Jobs Fund to provide all young people access to a job, training or education.
91. Introduced Warm Front – helped 2.3 million vulnerable households, those in fuel poverty with energy efficiency improvements.
92. Guaranteed paid holidays – introduced a law to ensure that everyone who works is entitled to a minimum paid holiday of 5.6 weeks,
93. The right to request flexible working.
94. Improved work hours – introduced a law so employers cannot force employees to work more than 48 hours a week.
95. Protection against unfair dismissal – introduced protections for workers and increased the maximum compensation from £12,000 to around £63,000.
96. Introduced Rights for Part-time workers – the right to equal pay rates, pension rights, pro-rata holidays and sick pay.
97. Introduced the Right to breaks at work
98. Introduced the Right to representation – every worker can be a member of a trade union and be represented in grievance and disciplinary hearings.
99. Rights for parents and carers – introduced the right to time off to deal with unexpected problems for their dependants, such as illness.
100. Introduced literacy and numeracy hours in schools and extended diversity to the curriculum.
101. Reduced class sizes to 30 for 5-7 year old children.
102. Introduced a public interest test, allowing governments to block international business takeovers on three specific grounds: media plurality, national security or financial stability.
103. The Bribery Act 2010
104. Established the Standards Board for England under Labour’s Local Government Act 2000 for promoting and ensuring high ethical standards and code of conduct in local government.
105. Climate Change Act 2008.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I wonder what a similar list for the Tories would look like?

NHS waiting times up
More old people dying because they can't afford to heat their homes
More children living under the poverty line than ever
More tax breaks for millionaires than ever before
More rights for companies to treat employees like crap
More zero hours contracts
Public sector jobs down
Unions have less power than ever....

It would be a very crap list.

But they legalised gay marriage.... so at least that's something.... right?

The Tories hate the poor and look after the rich.

It's that simple.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

The Tories hate the poor and look after the rich.

It's that simple.

They even have a long term strategic plan to prove how simple their aims are!

Working to the Ridley Plan, they seek to dismantle the welfare state.

Drawn up by Nicholas Ridley, the 'Plan' is the working document of Heath's Selsdon Group and is proof positive of the British establishments' hate of the British working classes.

Conspiracy theory? The Ridley Plan is conspiracy fact, a conspiracy so sneaking, so filthy and so big even the Guardian made no mention of it in their piece last week reviewing Toynbee's latest book.

I do not vote so will have no hand in whatever shower forms the new government in May but I was very amused and intrigued at the Green's response to the BBC announcing only the leaders of the main 3 parties being invited to participate in the televised debates.

Natalie and Caroline challenging the establishment by taunting 'what are you afraid of boys?'.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

I've mentioned The Ridley Plan several times here on ATS.

Many think I've just made it up, most of the others think its just paranoid conspiracy theorists seeing conspiracies in everything.

I know its real....and is working out very well for those whose interests it serves.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud
a reply to: crazyewok

I must say that you are being a bit over the top derogatory of the individual politicians.

Did you know that Mr Duncan Smith's wife has been really poorly the last couple of years with breast cancer? The guy has had a lot on his plate. I think it is not that mature to go hitting on people with grotesque and false smears. It is very tabloid. You even go beyond that.

In truth if we examine the retrospective economies right now the UK is sunny side up. Our economy is in amazing shape and has quickly recovered from the past banking crisis. Unemployment is at an absolute minimum. Inflation is at a record low. Even the falling oil prices have come at the right time to inject a little enthusiasm to entrepreneurial enterprise. Compare that to the Eurozone or Russia. Even the U.S has not weathered the storm quite as well.

The NHS is obviously an eyesore on this canvas. I have other criticisms, too.

Okay a couple of things here:-

In order to receive any sympathy from me, a person has to demonstrate sympathy to others. When it comes to Iain Duncan Smith, I have absolutely no sympathy for him. He is more than content to label anybody in receipt of welfare benefits as lazy scroungers, without fully looking at personal circumstances. He is a nasty snide, a detestable piece of crap, who has been responsible for the introduction of cuts in the welfare state to an extent that has not been seen since its inception. He has the audacity to stereo type individuals and has brought about hardship on families of children with disabilities. Yet, he is more than content to claim £35.00 for a breakfast on his M.P expenses. He should try following his own diatribe and consider how much he is spending. £35.00 for a breakfast, just below half of what an unfortunate person who has been made redundant, receives a week from the state.

The economy is doing okayish, because the current Chancellor has lucked out, pure and simple. The U.K has not adopted the Euro and therefore we haven't taken as much of a hit as the rest of Europe. Cutting taxes for the rich and punishing the poor is not exactly fair now is it? Do you truly believe the poor created the crash in 2008? No, it was the bankers and their unchecked behaviour that put the whole western world into recession. The European Commissioners have attempted tackling the greed in the banking sector by proposing maximum salaries and bonuses. Yet, who do we find fighting this in the European courts? That's right, none other than the Chancellor, George Osbourne.

Labour did not create the crash in 2008, but their management of the economy in the good times, supported mainly by the other parties, left a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately a vote for any of the mainstream parties is a vote for a continuation of financial inequality and support for the banks and the City.

I cannot bring myself to support any of them, it would be too hypocritical to do so. Therefore, I shall vote for my local independent candidate, someone who would have my interests at heart and not their parties ideology.

edit on 2/2/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

a reply to: Freeborn

Absolutely terrifying really.
And even more terrifying that there are normal, working and middle class people who are willing to vote for these scum.

Just makes your skin crawl and blood boil really.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot

I do not vote so will have no hand in whatever shower forms the new government in May but I was very amused and intrigued at the Green's response to the BBC announcing only the leaders of the main 3 parties being invited to participate in the televised debates.

Natalie and Caroline challenging the establishment by taunting 'what are you afraid of boys?'.

Greens really are the only decent and credible vote this time around.
Wont happen though.... it will always be Tory or Labour or a coalition of at least one and then a minor party.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Greens really are the only decent and credible vote this time around.

What the holy #?

After this interview?

Honestly the green party are insane! I would not trust them to run a paper round let alone a freaking country!
They seem to have no concept of money let alone how a economy works!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

We discussed that in the other thread.
Go and read the replies in there

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

We discussed that in the other thread.
Go and read the replies in there

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah and I still don't see how her pie in the sky crazy ideas are even remotely possible.

That other thread still does not explain the sheer lack of the simple mathematics of her bat # crazy ideas of handing out free money.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Honestly the green party are insane! I would not trust them to run a paper round let alone a freaking country!
They seem to have no concept of money let alone how a economy works!

Not everyone has bought into the establishments' efforts to undermine and ridicule the women who head the Green Party.

Some of us respect them for being the only politicians in the land that stand by their values and are willing to go to jail for their convictions (no pun intended).

Career politicians understanding of money and the economy and how these work are the cause of the crash in '08 and the reason why in 21st century UK, people are starving or dying of hypothermia.

edit on 3/2/2015 by teapot because: format

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Not everyone has bought into the establishments' efforts to undermine and ridicule the women who head the Green Party.

At what part did I say I think they are insane for being women?

I said they are insane for there insane policy's of handing out "free" money with no way of paying it.

They are insane for there stupid policy's in transport.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

My vote will be to break up the power of the two major parties with the third one as a coalition. I want to see more parties with different views.

The pendulum swing we have had for years has made our country a stagnant political putrefying pond that gives off a bad smell.

I also want to see a number of political reforms because as we are, only the rich or those backed by the rich can enter and run for parliament which guarantees nothinbg changes, nothing is challenged and vested only interests catered for.

I don't want anyone in parliament who has not worked in industry or outside of politics - so they bring experience and not theory. I also don't want anyone under the age of 38 there either because politics today need a sound knowledge of more than 10 years living in the world as an adult to gage what happens and how it happens.

We need change because things are grinding to a halt and politicians have never been held with so little respect . This also threatens our security as many wouldn't dream of cooperating or helping our institutions. Things like the westminster paedophile scandals must be addressed and these people brought to justice. This won't happen without getting their perverted backsides off of the chairs they dominate.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I know, frustrating isn't it? I think people are afraid of the truth about the Tories because it may reveal the truth about the establishment and all they hold dear.

Ignorance truly is bliss amongst the rank and file. Even on ATS, we see time and again demands for corroboration in established media outlets of any truth or theory that may upset their world view.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Nothing to do with gender war mate, everything to do with courage of their convictions and challenging the establishment.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Nothing to do with gender war mate, everything to do with courage of their convictions and challenging the establishment.

But they still have to add up.

Greens plans do not mathematically work!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Neither do red or blue.

Truth is, none of them can add up! Especially not the blue who want us all to believe 'we are in it together' whereas in fact, they still live the life of riley, jetting off for fake photo calls and supping on subsidised booze; flogging our wealth to highest bidders to make life better for themselves only.

Somebody in this Thread mentioned Gideon having luck on his side with the economy. It was Brown's actions bailing out the banks that meant we could all go on pretending the numbers add up.

Never having been in power, the Greens have never had the opportunity to view the 'books' and so can be forgiven for making policy based on anything other than the facts.

The only 'truth' out there regarding this upcoming GE is the establishments' attempts to demonise the Green Party.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join