It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chappie. (from the director of District 9)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Very district 9ish looking as well! Look forward to this one.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Same director as District 9. This looks like a darker "Short Circuit" . Some interesting themes for sure as with most of Blomkamp's works. Very similar to his "Tempbot" . Hopefully it wont be as ludicrous and poorly delivered as "Elysium" was that movie had so many plot holes I still shake my head at it.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Oh that is right up my alley! I would love to see this movie!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I nearly wellled up

Looks great

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It does look great, sounds like the Director voices the robot chappie too.

I liked elysium , I thought it was quite a smooth film.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soapusmaximus
It does look great, sounds like the Director voices the robot chappie too.

I liked elysium , I thought it was quite a smooth film.

actually sharlto copley does the voice of chappie, which is great because he has a very distinct voice. hes the same guy who played wickus in district 9 and the main bad guy (forgot the characters name) in elysium.

he and blomkamp have been very good friends for a while now.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
After watching it all I can is WTH?
This should have been a comedy.
The gangsters look more like animal rights protesters.
For some reason the director felt the need to put F--bombs and phallic cartoons as graffiti everywhere possible.
It just fails as a movie, the robot Chappie is occasionally funny but fails to elicit empathy in a worn-out replay of the short circuit movie "Johnnie Five?!!"
Save your money and time.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The gangsters are from the group Die Antwoord. I guess its a South African thing. The group has this entire deconstructed white trash/hip hop aesthetic and have created an entirely fictional subculture with slang/imagery and such.

I too felt the movie was a poor outing for Blomkamp. It makes me pretty hesitant to see his take on the Alien franchise which he is working on. I really liked District 9 but Elysium and Chappie both failed for me. They had potential but something was just off.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
They had potential but something was just off.

They were both too preachy in my opinion.

If I want a sermon I will go to church.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
OMG I saw that!! I started sobbing at the part when those hoodlum's started attacking Chappie! They dropped him off and they basically destroyed his mainframe and took his memory stick.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Someone has either been watching too much Monty Python, ermm actually maybe that's me... but

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The gangsters are from the group Die Antwoord. I guess its a South African thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This movie was on s free movie channel last night. Personally I liked it. Chappie got a emotional response from me especially his ear movements reminded me of my dogs ears which can have a lot of emotion.

Basically it's a transhumanism based movie, I find the concept highly interesting. Personally I'd opt for a long does of immortality before going on to the next place.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I was excited to see this movie. The concept seemed intriguing. District 9 was a GOOD movie.

That having been said, what a let down.

I mean, were they intentionally trying to ruin it?

It was almost as though they were making it up as they went along.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I liked it, it wasn't a great movie, by any means, but I enjoyed it. I find Yolandi absolutely captivating, she has that whole raw, innocent yet incredibly aggressive, sexuality thing going on that I thought juxtaposed with CHAPPIE brilliantly. It was a little obvious in most places, I appreciated though the intention of simplicity even if it didn't quite carry it off. I'm not in any hurry to watch it again, but all things considered, I really did like it.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I would recommend the Antonio Banderas movie Automata for those who were expecting more from Chappie.

new topics

top topics

join