It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden UK Military Installations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hi all,

Has anyone here seen the big red 'Works Unit Only' sign on the M4?
I know it's for a military installation, but not a clue what for and why the need for the vague name?

And finally, just before you arrive into Dover on the A-Road, there's a small, secure fenced off area adjacent to the road with security cameras all pointing to what's in the middle of the compound.... A hatch leading underground... Again, any ideas/rumours?

It's just that I pass these quite often and it's sometimes tempting to 'take a wrong turn' and have a closer look.. lol.

Many thanks
Pete

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
No idea, but you might be interested in this site if you haven't seen it already...

www.secret-bases.co.uk...

CX.

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Petest205

This one?

en.wikipedia.org...

CX.

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Says it's one of the largest ammo compounds for the US.

CX.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The M4 route was decided largely by the US government as part of the missile distribution system
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hhmmm, can't really see why the yanks need to store so much munitions here.

Thanks for the links by the way! I'm also surprised to see a wiki page for the first place. So thanks again

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Is this the sign?

www.pistonheads.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
this is a real sign in here in th UK
www.myunusual.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There is always this group, www.subbrit.org.uk... they actually study and research these places.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Huh. Hidden. In UK, for sake of clarifying I had bigger plots of property in Alaska than the UK as a whole.

Makes me wonder if they're housing US Nukes the way we did at RAAF Rendalsham, whereas already stated that they hold a crapload of ammunitions for us in the firstplace.

Drive up to the drive up to the base....////HONK HONK////.....and...

STOP! , or I'll say STOP AGAIN!!!!

-NF

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Petest205

Two reasons come to mind (although admittedly I am not an expert on such topics>....

Common cache for use by the USA, but on a halfsies loan basis to the UK should they need...

Also, as a forward base capable of rearming ammunition based weaponry (check out the laser that the Navy is using as it is a new toy) for POTUS orders to attack or defend from E Europe, should need be. I'll bet that the scenario with landing rights in Turkey, I'd wager it's only referred to as a "we'll grant you the rights now, use us for THIS engagement"
as well as what I threw out in the idea that it could be a communal cache as I posited that we are doing with the UK....

Full of hot air....and no topical knowledge....

- NF

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Petest205

Its because they have run out of room in the US lol they got so many bases there.

Would love to visit a base or secret base in the UK or US.
edit on 6-1-2015 by restless genius because: what

edit on 6-1-2015 by restless genius because: I am so sh1te at editing

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The only reason why I can think they store a lot of ammo is that the UK is sometimes used for b2s b52s b1b bombers, you also got the f15s based in lakenheath. The UK also operates the Apache so who knows maybe we use their supply of hellfires and rockets.
That's what I believe anyway I'll wait for the experts to turn up
travelling up to Scotland I managed to grab a pic of this sign which I thought was pretty cool. WARNING tank crossing !

edit on 6-1-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
Is this the sign?

www.pistonheads.com...

i live 6 miles from that sign
and yes it leads to RAF Welford which is indeed still a munitions
storage facility the exit in the picture was to give rapid access in/out for kit to feed some of the other sites
round here including at one time the infamous Greenham common (where do you think the cruise missiles were
REALLY stored ) back in the 80's

there are quite a few "interesting" places scattered around here.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
there are many secret bases in the uk ,,and i find it absolutely ridiculous to discuss them on this site.
they are secret for a reason. i know personally of several uk military sites most people have no clue about .
and technically we are at war at this present time,what benefit would there be to discussing this and risk revealing defence secrets ,im sure many countries security services love this site ,,ats should itself be wary of revealing secret active military sites.

not all information should be in the public domain for terrorists to find lightly guarded weapons dumps.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There a lots of these signs all over the UK (Works unit only). Most are exercise areas or ammunition dumps or adventure training camps etc.

Generally, where there are sneaky bases there are signs of communications such as antenna fields or installation towers. That's not to say that's the golden rule but it's a good indication.

Truth is, unless you're in the know you will never know for sure.

Scaley

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
Is this the sign?

www.pistonheads.com...

Yeah, that's the one. Passed that often on my way to and from Wales...very tempted on occasion to drive down there 'by mistake' and see if i get challenged and by whom.

Reckon they'd have military types dressed as workmen at the initial gate or barrier...followed by proper, heavily armed military types who'd blow you away if you crashed the first phony checkpoint.

Never did it though...anyone ever drive down there?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Any military areas that wouldn't be classed as 'top secret' are always marked with red writing/outline road signs. The ones that aren't meant to be known about aren't marked on maps or road signs for good reason. As for the above poster, I totally agree discretion should be used, but the majority of these sites camps and installations can be found with a quick look on google. It's quite obsense that plotters can use google street view as part of target recci's.

I can tell you now don't go taking any wrong turns. It's not worth it.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The Americans store munitions for several reasons. Firstly they have military installations in the UK. We use and share a lot of weapon systems that they have. And it's also handy to have things stored around the world that can be picked up in a hurry. You'd be surprised where they keep vehicles munitions and equipment.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
The only reason why I can think they store a lot of ammo is that the UK is sometimes used for b2s b52s b1b bombers, you also got the f15s based in lakenheath. The UK also operates the Apache so who knows maybe we use their supply of hellfires and rockets.
That's what I believe anyway I'll wait for the experts to turn up
travelling up to Scotland I managed to grab a pic of this sign which I thought was pretty cool. WARNING tank crossing !
A66?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join