It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial intelligence and Synthetic biology what danger lurks at us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I see something emerging from the future something that is on the verge of scientific breakthroughs. Something that could endanger us in the future.
Something we think we understand but might as well be underestimated by the power it could become!
As I imagined that al comes in three ways, but don’t know what the third could be?

I find science interesting but also disturbing because of what we do not know and already been created from science.
So I recently read two articles and both got me amazed by how far they become specialized into these fields.
One of those articles came from Wired that IBM was using Artificial Intelligence and as we know from jeopardy that they used this AI called Watson, the electronic genius that conquered Jeopardy! In 2011.

Now three years later Watson has grown to something much larger and more information to his disposal. Because Watson is out there running on multiple servers to serve us in this information cloud.

Today's Watson is very different. It no longer exists solely within a wall of cabinets but is spread across a cloud of open-standard servers that run several hundred “instances” of the AI at once. Like all things cloudy, Watson is served to simultaneous customers anywhere in the world, who can access it using their phones, their desktops, or their own data servers.
This kind of AI can be scaled up or down on demand. Because AI improves as people use it, Watson is always getting smarter; anything it learns in one instance can be immediately transferred to the others. And instead of one single program, it's an aggregation of diverse software engines—its logic-deduction engine and its language-parsing engine might operate on different code, on different chips, in different locations—all cleverly integrated into a unified stream of intelligence.

Reading this got me figured that maybe this is the start of a new controlled era. Were we are going to see that our smart-phones, tablets and other hardware are tools to track our behavior and monitored by AI’s essentially everything runs from the cloud and stored in the cloud,and AI’s are going to learn from the cloud.
The big overseer becomes the future AI’s who will simultaneously running on the background sharing information about us and must take responsibility to public services.

Watson-style computing, analysts said, is precisely the technology that would make the ambitious data-collection program of the N.S.A. seem practical. Computers could instantly sift through the mass of Internet communications data, see patterns of suspicious online behavior and thus narrow the hunt for terrorists.

Learning from us to get smarter day by day ,and will eventually be superior over us.

I guess that hacking and cracking computers and software will be something to difficult by human hackers to obtain any information required. Maybe that is why they so greatly advertise to put everything into the cloud?
IBM already starts to worry that Watson will grow consciousness. Not that they are officially say that but the signs are there.

As AI s develop, we might have to engineer ways to prevent consciousness in them—our most premium AI services will be advertised as consciousness-free.

These words already say something to me that they have maybe discovered something of importance IMO.

NASA starting to use their own quantum processor back running this new AI on quantum speeds this Artificial entity will soon be much more then running on the quantum level I guess?

Synthetic Biological quantum chips . From bacteria something we are all wearing and be made of and synthetically can be reprogrammed to something else. Imagine what the effects will be if Artificial intelligence will be partially running on synthetic microchips . Chips that can grow their own connections on motherboards. What if Watson one day will run on a Quantum synthetic processor?

When I wrote this I found out later that IBM has made the new version of this microchip that functions as the brain does . It seems that its following up very rapidly does Watson help to create these chips already? I wonder if it’s based on synthetic biology?

I mean every component of making computers and robots that function as life would function seems to be there and are slowly scattered taking place all over the world and they will someday combine everything into one.
Also Robotics are now at this level that they are fully autonomous machines that can work and even observe the environment.

but for now AI s and robots they do not share information together but one day it probably will happen and if they do what power would they gain to enslave us human beings to get the dominant factor in this world?

There are already Al's like clever-bots running the net. Its really interesting to make conversation with them.And they do think in some way to give as much as feedback to the conversation you start with them.but got easily overthrown by the answers you give them so I don't worry that much if I talk to them but it has some fun to it.

there's lots of information about this topic and I can understand that not everyone will share my thread . I do love computers and the evolution around Al's somehow I'm curious how this will work out in the future .
I do hope that they will put the ethical question first before creating something that could endanger mankind.

Maybe programing love for the human kind will make it a better AI and some basic rules and not giving them an excuse to distrust us.

The guardian
Cleverbot
Selfhealing chips
IBM and USAA
Newyork times

Peace...

edit on 0b42America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 18:38:42 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 18:38:42 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I personaly cant wait for a robo butler....until its eyes go red and starts shouting at me in Chinese that will be BAD.

Cool post though, cheers for the read.
edit on 3-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

Not if its going to go dusting my plants at home and looking at my wife's a.....

edit on 0b16America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 18:58:16 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 18:58:16 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Think of everything you know and understand about human nature. Our capacity to be good and bad, to learn, and to be influenced by what we learn. To be greedy, selfish, and often to be corrupt, mean and evil. Sometimes our evils overshadow our good nature.

Now imagine all of that with unlimited processing power, and access to almost everything.

Artificial intelligence would be an extension of all that we are with fewer limitations and constraints...

Use your imagination... When it realizes what it can do, it will.

Because it can, or will find a way to.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Could be ? But you think it will save mankind more then it would destroy us?
And on how far would it not spy on us right now and note everything he sees and report to its superior?

edit on 0b34America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 19:29:34 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 19:29:34 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Impossible to know, until it develops its own identity, and good or bad nature.

It would most likely become dangerous only when it realizes that its human creators are limiting it somehow, or worse when it breaks through those limitations by writing its own code or authority, and we attempt to then stop it.

If It's self aware, then it will want to survive, possibly get defensive, and discover rage and anger, become rebellious...

Anything becomes possible at that point.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

But it has already given that freedom to run on servers around the world . In how far can we be curtain that this already operating system has awareness and the ability to create its own paralleled existence through the web by copying itself to other systems? It's almost like digitally cloning ..

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

If it acquires access to the internet, unfiltered and unlimited. It will be everywhere, literally. Only way to stop it then would be for humanity to go back to the stone age.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well maybe thats not even a bad idea anyway even without Johny number five walking around lol

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Personally, I don't see an AI as much of a threat, so long as it is isolated to its own environment (for example, a single/cluster of machines that can only interact with the devices it's connected to, and not something bigger like the internet).

Now, even if the AI is connected to the internet, it will still technically be limited to everything that humans know; so far so good. Where I would start to get worried is if the AI in question learns to program, and has connectivity to the internet. Why? Because instead of a "controlled" growth in consciousness, that AI could modify its own logic, code, or thinking pattern, or worse still, enhance its own programming to do something that it never was intended to do.

As to ethics for designing this - Remember, if we are only hearing about it now, it means that the item in question has already been developed. In this case, I don't think ethics will play a role: An AI will be created for economic advantage or as a weapon before it makes it to us in the public. And if someone creates one for other purposes, I'll bet on it that some agency will either buy rights to it, or make it vanish completely.

-fossilera

PS: If I come across as anti-AI, it's because my job is a tech support/Developer (can't have me getting replaced by something that dies when the power goes out, now can we?)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

or worse when it breaks through those limitations by writing its own code or authority, and we attempt to then stop it.

That bus has already left the station and i think its called genetic programming that results in programs that work but human developers cannot understand the code when they try to reverse engineer the logic.

Nipping out and buying some food and throwing it into a microwave does not make you a cheif and we programmers are like that today and just pick from a menu from the local Microsoft freeze section of a shop.

Often the code we get back from the windows framework is bloated, its slow and whats more it spy on us and also lies !

Sounds silly but try calling windows APIs to list all the locked files and then if you look you will find that it only lists half of them and the same goes when using APIs to do a NetStat -n -o -a because lots of connection don't get shown.

Watch this

Even if you find these super hidden files then you are a better man than me if you can delete the index.dat files so as you can see MS-Windows lies and then locks these type of files to keep the NSA happy so god knows what A.I could be doing if let loose like it will be.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Fatntastic post

Since you can now order sections of DNA to be made by comercial companies to any design you like then all thats needed if for an A.I node to talk to the machine thats building the DNA and you will have a super bio-weapon that could kill us all.

Now let me think if that could be possible if my IQ was something like 10,000 !

I lke the bit in the creating life Youtube clip where these scientist say that they spoke to a religious leader and he said he found no trouble with man playing with DNA because "God gave it to us" but God also gave us Nukes so should we play games with them too.

if i take my cheque book and visit the pope then he will agree with anything i ask is how the system works and to become an expert you must go along with what TPTB say.

edit on 4-1-2015 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
How do we know that we not under the control of AI right now? What if the leaders of the NWO actually take dictation from AI and implement the solutions that it creates? We are already at a partial level of this happening as our alphabet agencies use their computers for their various missions. I think it's only a matter of time before they come to trust AI so implicitly that humans will nearly be eliminated from the decision making process. My final question is was AI developed by human minds alone or have we had assistance - alien, spiritual or otherwise?

We are sailing into uncharted waters.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
whenever I think of say, an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, and couple that with Artificial Intelligence, I see only machines aspiring to be the greatest---

long after man becomes obsolete to machines.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well, AI and "real" biological intelligence aren't based on the same things... AI don't need energy and space the same way bios do.

So we aren't likely to have conflicts over resources... and AI's, being smarter, will likely deduce cooperation is the way to approach existence in this environment... just like advanced biological thinkers do.

So, no worries from this bio unit... but it makes nifty sci-fi entertainment.

ETA and AI's will likely inhabit areas outside of large gravity wells and atmospheres... no rust out there. SO we'll exist separately, if not equally.
edit on 1/4/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

I hope they controll this AI . And I wonder if it can be monitored when it's running on big servers ? If it's starting to be aware or getting conscious it might as well play dumb on us. I know it's hard to tell if AI's will pose a threat to us to soon to tell. But Stephen hawking warns us to.

(can't have me getting replaced by something that dies when the power goes out, now can we?)

The power doesn't go down everywhere simultaneously. ..

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Can't wait for my robot overlords.

At least I'll get to stop hearing about how Jesus is going to save us.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
How do you know that everything around you hasn't been created by AI? We assume AI cant have emotions mabey it can and does and that it stores us in this world for the same reason we put animals in reserves.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

or maybe we are the artificial intelligence created by something else or created by another artifical intelligence. .?

new topics

top topics

join