It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France sees 12-per-cent dip in cars set on fire on New Year’s Eve

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

France’s Interior Ministry says 940 cars were set alight by revelers ringing in the New Year – 12 per cent fewer than the 1,067 set aflame last year.

France sees 12-per-cent dip in cars set on fire on New Year’s Eve

I had no idea this goes on in France. What a crazy 'tradition'...

You have to love the French revolutionary spirit! Bring in the New Year with some random car burning just to let people know you can Revolt whenever you like and there is nothing they can do about it!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
So youre saying that the French are 12% less stupid this year? Not sure how burning somebodies personal property is revolutionary spirit and not just vandalism.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the laugh!
Not only is random car burning a new year's tradition in France, but they keep a distinct tally enough to say "12% fewer this year"

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
So youre saying that the French are 12% less stupid this year? Not sure how burning somebodies personal property is revolutionary spirit and not just vandalism.

Personally I find vandalism 'random' while regular actions every New Years to burn cars doesn't seem random anymore...it seems like a message. Now what that message is clearly is difficult to understand for me. I said revolution as my personal guess to be honest...I've no clue why people do this.

If any French people understand why they burn cars like this as a tradition I'd love to know...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

The message is "park your car in the garage" lol

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Personally I find vandalism 'random' while regular actions every New Years to burn cars doesn't seem random anymore...it seems like a message. Now what that message is clearly is difficult to understand for me. I said revolution as my personal guess to be honest...I've no clue why people do this.

If any French people understand why they burn cars like this as a tradition I'd love to know...

Why do the Swiss eat house pets for the holidays?
Maybe it's a cultural thing?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

This is really surprising seeing as fuel prices have been coming down recently.

CX

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is not a tradition.....do some research on the cultural make up of France these days, it has a lot do with the youth there. The subject of the Islamification of France comes up a lot online when reading about the level of violence over there.

Not my opinion, but as a father of a daughter who has recently moved to France, I am reading up on as much to do with the real side of France as possible.

CX.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
That's really funny.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

Exactly, it has sod all to do with "tradition" or "revolutionary spirit" but more to do with having it's roots in the 2005 riots by immigrant Youths in Paris and other cities.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Well, I bet those 12 percent would be happy if they knew that they would have been targeted last year. This is a strange New Year's tradition, but at least it gets people out of the house and into the street (satire untended).

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

That's the thing, it isn't a "tradition" - it started in 2005 with the riots by (mainly Islamic) immigrant youths over perceived unfairness and bad treatment by the French authorities. It's no more a "tradition" than somewhere announcing crime stats have fallen.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Definition of 'Tradition':
an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom
www.merriam-webster.com...

How many years do they have to burn cars on New Year's Eve for it to become a tradition?

France seems to have explosive immigrant problems from my long distance view.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Well, using that sort of thinking, one could then argue that School shootings in the US are "traditional".... But we don't...

Basically, it is a small (very small) minority of idiots in France who use it as a form of protest

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
Basically, it is a small (very small) minority of idiots in France who use it as a form of protest

I'm not even sure most of the people doing at are actually "protesting". Many of them may be hiding behind a facade of protesting some cause or another, and are actually just out there because they are thugs who want an excuse to vandalize.

It's the same when I see news stories of violent protesters in the streets. I think there are actually some people out there who truly are protesting because they are following their conscience, and I suppose some of those protesters could be violent, but I always felt that many -- if not most -- of protesters in the streets are just common thugs who can get their jollies stealing, looting, and in general just causing havoc because they feel they have been given free reign to do so behind the false facade of "protest".

I get the same feeling about some jihadists, or other people who get involved in violent protests in the name of "God" or whatever. Like I said, I think there are some true protesters in those crowds, but I think most of them just want an excuse to break things and beat people.

edit on 1/4/2015 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CX
This is not a tradition.....do some research on the cultural make up of France these days, it has a lot do with the youth there. The subject of the Islamification of France comes up a lot online when reading about the level of violence over there.

Not my opinion, but as a father of a daughter who has recently moved to France, I am reading up on as much to do with the real side of France as possible.

CX.

Bingo.
It is the young arab population, and has become more of a sport than a protest. It happens all year long, but especially during holidays. It is random celebration of the powerlessness of the french authorities.
Fear of being accused of racism, they don't take any action. I am perfectly serious- we have many friends that are cops and very frustrated because they have orders not to respond when perpetrators of crime are arab. (the word, used here, refers to arabic-speaking people. For the most part, from Morocco, and Algeria.)

There is a big problem with the young second generation immigrants. It's a rather complicated relationship.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Thanks for the insight! Wow! This is really just a random thing happening all the time and more so on any holiday? I'm speechless to be honest.

I've read that upward mobility for immigrants in French society is next to impossible. Immigrants never get promotions and live with limited job security and pay. Reading and living it are very different however.

Seems like a serious issue to me...an outsider. If they ever get organized watch out!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I am not sure what is dumber.

Randomly setting fire to cars on NYE.
Or.
Not protecting your car from being burned.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I am not sure what is dumber.

Randomly setting fire to cars on NYE.
Or.
Not protecting your car from being burned.

Eh... The issue is complex. The numbers of these people are growing exponentially here- and they do not make any attempt at integration, they stay very close together and use the power of collective force. (remember, the french have used that effectively in the past, with their own revolution- they have a conception of it being a formidable weapon).

Near where I live, three young arabs held up a man in his shop. One of them had an ax, and at some point, one started saying to the one with the ax, "kill him! Kill him!" and as the one with the ax surged towards the shopowner, he got shot by the shopowner, who had a gun under the counter.

The young men took off, taking their friend to a hospital where they dumped him on the curb and drove away.
The young man died before he could be saved.

What happened after was that the shopowner was arrested. The arab community got together and came out in a huge crowd, and protested in the streets, stopping up all traffic and commerce, and being violent (well, burning cars too, of course). They insist that it was a crime on the part of the racist shopowner.

Their numbers are increased by the far left groups who also cry racism at the drop of a hat, and the damage can be incredible.

That was just a smaller anecdote from my personal experience, but there are bigger and much more publicized events of this sort happening often.

The argument of racism is invalid from what I can see. And the first generation immigrants often share this perception.
The parents and grandparents of these kids came here to work, and made effort to integrate the french communities- they learned the language and respect the laws, and the values upon "laicism"- in which all religion is a personal affair, you are free to practice in your own home or place of worship, but it must stay out of public affairs and business.

They are as much victims of this generation as anyone else- they are being robbed, vandalize, attacked... their cars get burned with everyone elses, their daughters and grandaughters get set on fire too. They live in fear of their teenage son being enlisted into terrorist groups too.

There is a serious identity problem for these young people, which I can understand, being an immigrant myself and having kids of my own, who have struggled with it.

I almost started to go further in depth on that, but for once I am going to realize when I am going overboard....

But yes, there is a very serious problem over here. It is exactly why we moved out of an urban area, and up into a more isolated spot in the mountains. It is why their is some serious talk of the Front National (a right winged party, seen as rather extreme by the french) possibly moving into power in the next election.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I have noticed that about their populations in France as well. And also about how the Left seems to hate White people having any rights whatsoever.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join