It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Existing Faith Traditions in the Face of Intelligent Life in the Universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If we assumed, with reference to the Drake equation, that there is certainly intelligent life somewhere else out there in the universe, how does this affect existing religious beliefs? Can traditional religions move past an anthropocentric perspective?
edit on 30-12-2014 by AllyofHumanity9220 because: words

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllyofHumanity9220
If we assumed, with reference to the Drake equation, that there is certainly intelligent life somewhere else out there in the universe, how does this affect existing religious beliefs? Can traditional religions move past an anthropocentric perspective?

Is that a scientific statement based on the fact that a theory is substantial enough to draw solid conclusions on?
I am some what perplexed that an assumption leads to a certainty with out evidence.

Lets assume that there could be life out there, maybe not, but if there was how would it effect Christians?
Is that your real question.

I think what some fail to realise is Christianity accepts more dimensions to our existence, accepts angels and demons, aliens if you want to call them that.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

As it stands right now with 100% certainty, WE are the intelligent life of the universe. And since we are 100% certain that we are the intelligent life, then anthropocentric is 100% certain.

Assuming means nothing.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

Is that a scientific statement based on the fact that a theory is substantial enough to draw solid conclusions on?
I am some what perplexed that an assumption leads to a certainty with out evidence.

Lets assume that there could be life out there, maybe not, but if there was how would it effect Christians?

I think what some fail to realise is Christianity accepts more dimensions to our existence, accepts angels and demons, aliens if you want to call them that.

Exactly right.

Christianity accepts whatever is out there, because we read in our Bible "God created the worlds". And not only Christians believe that, every culture since the beginning of humanity have believed that the universe held worlds of life forms. I don't think there has ever been a religion that didn't think the universe had no other life. Ever since man looked at the night sky in amazement, man has always wondered.

It was only during the Enlightenment of the Renaissance that those "enlightened" thinkers began to deny life elsewhere, and it wasn't Christians, it was "enlightened" atheists.

Perhaps the OP would be better off asking atheists that question.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Well OP. This question has been asked hundreds of times on ATS. And the consensus is always the same. It depends on the religion, and sects within those religions. Believe it or not. Not all Xtians(for example) believe the same thing when it comes to ET's. Some are very liberal, like the Catholic's, and others are certain that we are the only life in the universe sanctioned by god. Any other life is a demon or an angel in disguise.

And depending on how well you read between the lines. The first few repsonses to your question are full of answers, straight from the horses mouth.

edit on 12/30/2014 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You must be a Christian.. The OP made no mention of a specific religion.... That said conservative evangelicals seem to be the most "everyone is wrong but us" of the major religions. Muslims, Catholics, Buddhists exc, all accept evolution. So presently they are the obvious choice for a group to think aliens were the devils minions.
edit on 30-12-2014 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AllyofHumanity9220
Here you go, OP. Some threads for your perusal. There are MANY more, but this will get you started...
If aliens arrive...
Would aliens debunk religion...
Would confirmation of alien life...
What would happen...
Aliens Vs Religion

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Hmmm, don't atheists also have the attitude "everyone is wrong but us"?

Don't lay that attitude on just the Christians' doorsteps. Look at all groups of people before making that generalization.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Is God sending Jesusses to every planet with intelligent life? That'd be a trip if true. Such an inconvenient and fallible way to make his presence known.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Is God sending Jesusses to every planet with intelligent life? That'd be a trip if true. Such an inconvenient and fallible way to make his presence known.

Isn't God able to do that?

You make it sound like God is the average human person.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Wow, thanks!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

My post sounded a little more harsh after another read, I didn't mean it in a belittling way. God can do whatever he likes, but I think that our existence is the proof of his work, what is within is far more reliable than an outer messianic figure (idol). We are already saved by having life, there is no need for a sacrifice of any kind, only love. Forgive others and you will be forgiven and love them as yourself. The world would be a much better place if people actually followed Jesus' words.

Jesus' "sacrifice" symbolizes our own eventual death. When we die our sins from this life are forgiven and we begin a new life in a new robe (body) and with a new crown (mind). We are given a fresh start with a clean slate each time we die and are eventually "born again".
edit on 12/30/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

My post sounded a little more harsh after another read, I didn't mean it in a belittling way. God can do whatever he likes, but I think that our existence is the proof of his work, what is within is far more reliable than an outer messianic figure (idol). We are already saved by having life, there is no need for a sacrifice of any kind, only love. Forgive others and you will be forgiven and love them as yourself. The world would be a much better place if people actually followed Jesus' words.

Yes, but for those who don't know Jesus' word, then are the world views of reward and punishment not applicable because they don't know? There has always been the idea of reward and punishment in every culture.

The bad have to be punished somehow and the good have to be rewarded somehow. Do you think it is fair and just for extraordinarily wicked to just go into the grave and never be punished?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You reap what you sow and what you do on Earth is bound in heaven.

However you act in this life determines where you end up the next go around. You may end up on a planet like Earth with lies and corruption or you are born on a planet where truth resides. Either way though, no one is left out for any reason. Your circumstances are dictated by your actions, just as in every day life. Go an axiom higher and you see the same for life as a whole, each step (incarnation) you take determines your location for the next step. Somewhere down the line you reach your destination. but sometimes you can get lost or even take steps backward.

Karma is the justice, just as Paul says in Galatians.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AllyofHumanity9220

It really depends on the basis for Christian faith.

My reading of the Bible leads me to believe that God wishes to lift us from individuality and mortality, to an immortal and unified form in direct communication with God.

Once we have achieved this stage, I don't think that we will just be floating around on clouds, dressed in white and playing harps (or having our way with 72 virgins), like as if Gods plan/s for the universe are finite and end there.

I see Gods plan as eternal and cyclical. A perpetual uplifting of raw life to consciousness, sentience and then unity and our part is to work Gods plan for those who follow us.

So, multiple species, easily accommodated.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That is true. When we find life somewhere else it will only be a fullfillment of scripture. Other life is likely hidden in the light on different frequencies.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think the floating on clouds and playing harps is really what a lot of older people think or those who really don't invest much time into studying Christian theology.

There are a whole lot of people who say they are Christian just because it is easy to identify with a label rather than actually believing much else. I've seen that true for a lot of people who never have been to church, but if they did attend a religious service, might associate themselves with Christianity as opposed to something else.

In that sense, Christianity is mere cultural. Some people do like the idea of their loved ones with the angels and playing harps. Maybe it brings them comfort.

There are two types of Christians, the ones who follow the religion and study, and those who merely associate themselves with the name.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I think that the answers will always vary until we define the bounderies and constituants of what is in the universe. Getting around the wording in the bible when placing life everywhere would not be very hard for one that is veiwing everything from a standpoint of having acess to everything. There could very well be 10 universes all existing inside one for all we know. Our knowledge is limited to what we have learned to see.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Klassified

I think that the answers will always vary until we define the bounderies and constituants of what is in the universe. Getting around the wording in the bible when placing life everywhere would not be very hard for one that is veiwing everything from a standpoint of having acess to everything. There could very well be 10 universes all existing inside one for all we know. Our knowledge is limited to what we have learned to see.

That is very true.

Even the Bible says that, "God has not revealed even half of what He has promised man". And also "All the deeds of Jesus could never be recorded because there could never be enough ink or parchment to write it on".

When Jesus said "I have sheep of another fold" He didn't indicate where, when or who. And Peter said "This is for you, your descendents and those that are far off". Well, I am way far off from those people he was talking to.

We don't know and never will know in this current life everything there is to know. Right now we barely comprehend the fourth dimension, time.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
a reply to: Entreri06

Hmmm, don't atheists also have the attitude "everyone is wrong but us"?

Don't lay that attitude on just the Christians' doorsteps. Look at all groups of people before making that generalization.

Nope if Christ shows up on the White House lawn next tues. and starts walking on water and healing the sick. Every athiest agnostic will convert INSTANTLY. The truth is the truth weather we believe it or not. The everything not of god is evil mentality is a Christian tenant. Athiest/agnostics don't have the same black and white view.

Aka mother Teresa stopped believing in Christianity but pretended so people would still fund all the great things she was doing. That doesn't make the things she did evil just because she was wearing a habbot.

<<   2 >>

join