It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everythings Broken......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So what's up with manufacturers lately?

I bought my wife a $200 Cuckoo clock that doesn't Cuckoo so I have to send it back.

She bought me a nice FPV quad and it doesn't work either..($150) have to send it back..

I also got her a mini fake fireplace (lights up, has heat) for the spare room and it grinds so I have to take it back also..

Seem like a lot of things are just made so cheap lately...

Kinda puts a damper on trying to do something nice for someone these days when we have to keep sending things back...

Post here if you also have to send something back this Holiday season...
edit on 25-12-2014 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My gf made me turkey and fixings for Christmas. They seem to be working so far.

My advice? Stop buying a bunch of crap and then you won't have problems with it breaking. Not trying to have this come off rude. ..being serious. Things are made to break these days because that's how companies increase sales over the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find something made well.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

I can't wait till midnight. Thats when the spell will be broken and everyone turns back into pumpkins.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Or their cars turn back into lemons...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Things are made cheap so we throw them out and by new things.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Nobody bought me anything, and it works perfectly !!

^^ there is a smiley there, and it doesn't appear. The grinch has stolen smilies !!!!

edit on 25-12-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I bought my son a tablet....it doesn't work.

I told him I would take it back tomorrow but, he has to pay me $50.00 for me to stand in the return checkout line.

He gladly said he could wait a couple days.

The kid is finally learning the value of a buck or two...or 50.00.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The girls I got at the club last night .. they wouldnt cook breakfast .. so had to send them back ..

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Its called planned obsolescence a way to make cheap junk and maximize profit. We live in a disposable society and most goods reflect this.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
The girls I got at the club last night .. they wouldnt cook breakfast .. so had to send them back ..

Shoot, I don't blame you.

A man has got to eat. lol!

I kid! I cooked my men a good breakfast this morning. Bacon (yum), eggs, hash browns, toast....the whole bit.

Heck, I even used real plates instead of paper ones....it is a holiday after all. I'm not a savage for cripes sake.

That's why they keep me around.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The Government does the same with Soldiers...

Much like faulty pre-designed bull#, they get sent back in a box & a new one is shipped out.

Edit: Christmas is over and the lighthearted responses will cease to be posted.
Time for cold, disgusting truth again.
edit on 25-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Stated.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Quality is still out there, sometimes it's hard to find, and expensive. Most things though, I agree, suck. Absolute garbage being foisted upon us in the name of a quick buck.

Edit: for example, next Christmas get that special some one on your list a quality made table for their yacht.

Don't for the love of god spill your beer on this table!

edit on 12 25 2014 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Follow user reviews and block the profits of low quality item manufactures. I am guilty of just keeping broken purchases. Too much work involved in returns. I figure roughly %15 of my items show up damaged, defective, or not as advertised. Only my grandpas tools seem to last. Like a 60s' model skill saw (all metal with user replaceable brushes). I just bought 2 wireless backhaul units. They both work, bot one has a squealing capacitor.

edit on 25-12-2014 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I guess I'm not alone. My sister gave me a little boom box and the cd player doesn't work. The radio does, though. I dread telling her, as she gets a little cranky sometimes, and I'm sure the return process won't be easy. I think she got it from Amazon, and she lives out of state. I might just keep it for the radio and get myself another cd player in the January sales.

But I hate letting the manufacturers get away with it.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Quality is hard to find...............Not even money holds its value.....
what to give......?
Try indestructible love.................

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I bet this won't stop you buying more junk in future though.

Next year, why not make all the gifts yourself and make them with love and care, not cheap plastic and cheap labour?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
"Everything Is Broken" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Broken lines, broken strings
Broken threads, broken springs,
Broken idols, broken heads,
People sleeping in broken beds

Ain't no use jiving,
Ain't no use joking,
Everything is broken

Broken bottles, broken plates,
Broken switches, broken gates,
Broken dishes, broken parts,
Streets are filled with broken hearts.

Broken words never meant to be spoken,
Everything is broken

Seems like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground

Broken cutters, broken saws,
Broken buckles, broken laws,
Broken bodies, broken bones,
Broken voices on broken phones

Take a deep breath, feel like you're chokin',
Everything is broken

Every time you leave and go off someplace
Thangs fall to pieces in my face

Broken hands on broken ploughs,
Broken treaties, broken vows,
Broken pipes, broken tools,
People bending broken rules

Hound dog howling, bull frog croaking,
Everything is broken

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Having worked in enough factories I can tell you that they will manufacture anything as cheaply and quickly as they possibly can. If we had to put a quality control tag with our initials on a product and it wasn't up to MY standards, I wouldn't put it. I told my bosses that if I wouldn't buy the product like that, no one else would want to either. Then they wonder why down the line somewhere they have to close up the business.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

I bet this won't stop you buying more junk in future though.

Next year, why not make all the gifts yourself and make them with love and care, not cheap plastic and cheap labor?

I make most of the tables in our home already.( with love BTW)

I just wanted to get my wife something nice that she really liked..

This clock was/is a collectable and supposed to be hand painted and handmade..

The hot glue all over the inside tells me different..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Yea, earlier in the year I bought a new vacuum cleaner, it was a nice unit and the price was really good. Since in was in a box on the shelf, I couldn't give a good looking over, but I bought it anyways.

Well, after a few months of use, the wheels started coming off. That was the weak link in their design, a truly cheap design that would never have held up. I was able to permanently attach one wheel with a bolt, but the frame work wouldn't allow me to do the same to the other wheel, so it continues to fall off.

Overall, it has been my experience that a manufacturer will have a good overall design, but ruin it with cheap Chinese parts and hardware. This is esp. true with bigger ticket items like motor bikes and snowmobiles to name a couple. Most of the metric hardware is of the lowest grade tinsel strength, so if and where I can I replace them with high grade metric or American hardware. Tools are usually just as cheap and you need to spend 3 times as much for a tool that won't break after a couple of uses.

It all about taking your money and delivering the cheapest product possible that will last just until the manufacturer's warranty is up, or will break in a way that they can blame the consumer.

top topics

join