It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just need to get this off my chest before trying to sleep!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
So, my 20 yo daughter told me about a run-in she and several of her friends had with a local LEO and a state patrolman this week. Now, I am pretty darn exhausted and cannot recall ALL of the deets right at the moment, but I am kind of hung up on a couple of things she told me that happened...

First, I feel like I need to let you know she's open about things with me and I know she would tell me what happened, what they were REALLY doing, etc...But these kids were all on their way home, the driver wasn't drinking, they didn't use marijuana in the car, etc. She just happened to catch a ride with them and then her night got really twisted, at the hands of law enforcement.

The state LEO pulled behind the vehicle her friend was driving and started riding their bumper, very closely, so he sped up a bit. Moments later, the red and blues are on and it's time to pull over. So, the original reason for stopping the vehicle was for speeding.

Without going into too much detail, well at least until I can sit and talk to her and write it all down, the cop was one of THOSE types...The Nazi/SS type. So much so that things escalated pretty quickly because this "cop" and the local one trampled ALL OVER these 19-20 year old kids' rights, like legit stomped all over 'em. Good thing I've drilled the 5th amendment into my daughters head since she was old enough to understand it.

My daughter was a restrained passenger in the back seat, has NO warrants and has only had one brush with the law a couple of years ago because she did something REALLY, REALLY stupid and got caught (shoplifted a stupid $10 tee shirt, SO stupid! The shame!!). She did her com service and paid the fines and has gone on with her life...She is also VERY aware that she is on probation until she is 21 years old because they always throw the proverbial book at you in this county, especially when is comes to probation time. She is an education/english major in college, so she's cognizant of the fact if she wants to be a HS English teacher, she's gotta keep it on the straight and narrow.

Anyhow, the cop sees a bunch of kids in the car and after being stopped for speeding he immediately goes the "I smell marijuana in the car, everyone out!" route (according to the state patrol and the majority of local PD's, EVERYONE'S car around here smells like weed, bc weed smell=probable cause to root thru your stuff).

No one had smoked marijuana in the car and they were all heading home for the evening...The driver hadn't used marijuana, alcohol, etc.

The thing that is really bothering me right now is the fact that a MALE LEO "frisked" my DAUGHTER who is obvi a FEMALE and paid "special" attention to her chest/bra area...To me, this is gross and a TOTAL disregard for her rights, the law, and, quite possibly, could be considered sexual battery...She is completely creeped out about this and I plan to call our attorney on Monday to discuss it and get advice.

Just because a police officer has a lawful basis to make a Terry Stop does not mean that they are thereby justified in frisking that individual. For example, a police officer can stop your car because he witnessed you speeding. That would satisfy the reasonable articulable suspicion requirement that I spoke of earlier, but the officer would not then be justified in frisking you subsequent to the stop based on the speeding violation alone.

The United States Supreme Court has held that a police officer must have additional reasonable articulable suspicion that the individual to be searched is armed with a dangerous weapon and is presently dangerous. In other words, not only must the officer have a reasonable articulable suspicion that the individual is armed with a weapon, but must also have a reasonable articulable suspicion that the individual may use that weapon.

Source

So, according to that nice bit of info from the USSC, he had NO REASON, or right to frisk my daughter.

ATS, am I right?? Shouldn't this MAN have at, the very least, called a FEMALE LEO to the scene if all these kids (3 guys, 2 girls) needed to be puled out of the car, frisked, searched, all phones taken away, put in cop cars, etc. because the driver went SLIGHTLY over the speed limit??

The kids all said to each other that they should tape it when the cop started in on all of them, accusing them all of doing all sorts of drugs, drinking, etc. They only thing they turned up was around 4 grams of marijuana in a jar that they pinned on the driver, who also ended up with a DUI because of the jar being in his vehicle...The cop tried to pin it on my daughter (I have no doubt her info came back that she is on probation for her stupid mistake) but she basically laughed in his face and then shut her mouth again. Good girl.

But, hey, way to go LEO! Way to possibly ruin a kids future/life, making sure he suffers for years when all he LEGALLY should have gotten was a simple traffic type ticket, for the speeding and the marijuana. Possessing less than an ounce is not even a misdemeanor here, it is SUPPOSED to be a pay out ticket, just like a speeding ticket, that doesn't go on your record because it has been decriminalized. It isn't legal, we don't even have medical MJ here, but small amounts & some MJ paraphernalia are supposed to be decriminalized.

It seems LEO's are giving DUI's out left and right for possessing small amounts of decriminalized dried plant matter, regardless if there is evidence of it being consumed in the vehicle, without seeing them partake in said plant material, etc...My 19 year old nephew got a DUI for the EXACT same thing. He was stopped for a burned out license plate bulb and ended up with a DUI. He said his GF's marijuana was his, to save her from any trouble and that's what he got for being a really good BF. Isn't that some BS?

Whew, I am really tired and rambling so, in closing, I just have to say that I AM PROUD of my girl for actually LISTENING TO ME and taking my advice...She SHUT HER MOUTH and, after asking in a round about way if she was being detained, was cleared and given her new iPhone 6 back to call her boyfriend who picked her up and took her to her apartment.

I am still reeling from this story. I feel SO bad for the kid who got the DUI, for my daughter who was felt up by a creepy SS type cop, but mostly because their rights were just OBLITERATED and the only one who knew (kind of) how to handle the creeps was my girl.

I'll get more exact info from her after I wake up and get our Christmas on. But now, I finally am good and tired and ready for some ZZzzzzz's!

Feels great to get this off my mind tonight, so thanks for that.

Byt the way Merry Christmas, ATS! Hope you and yours have a wonderful, fun filled and safe holiday!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I agree that they should have called in a female officer, definately. It's a shame your daughter got caught up in that situation.

But you say the cop smelled marijuana, and found marijuana, then complain about the cop saying he smelled marijuana? I'm no fan of the Po Po but if they're mature enough to drive around with weed in the car, they're mature enough to deal with the consequences.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Don't know how the law works in the US but I certainly would see this guys

superior officer and get in first with the complaint of an unnecessary

assault on the person (even a possible sexual assault) He shouldn't be allowed

to treat the naïve in that way ..... just because he can.

He was going well over his authority IMO and only did so because he thought

he could get away with it ..... because they were kids?

The power of authority does often go to some peoples head!!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: lovebeck
But, hey, way to go LEO! Way to possibly ruin a kids future/life, ...

If the 20 year old was speeding or had a faulty tail light, and had dope, then that's on HIM and not the cop. Don't blame the cop for the errors of the ADULT. Yes ... 20 is adult.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yes, because young people should have their lives ruined for having a plant in a jar...that the majority of the country now thinks should be legal. Yeah, that makes sense. It's okay. There's plenty of room in the prison system. They aren't overcrowded at all. Besides, it's free, right? The taxpayers don't pay for that. There are murderers and rapists roaming the streets, but tonight there are a few less grams of a medicinal plant in the mix. Good job, boys in blue. You know they were very upstanding officers. They didn't even kill anyone this time.

/sarcasm off

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
My advice to you is to let it go, just like your daughter did. After Rodney_Michael_Eric_Gate, cops are assured there are no consequences and they can in fact get away with anything, even murder.

Ever see "Crash"? Highly recommended for a small town look at the bigger picture--

*Language*

edit on 25-12-2014 by intrptr because: *language*

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: thektotheg
Yes, because young people should have their lives ruined for having a plant in a jar...that the majority of the country now thinks should be legal.

- they are adults and they know the law.
- no matter how much I think it should be legal, its not.
- the car was speeding and/or in disrepair and deserved to be pulled over.

If an adult is going to drive a car faster than the speed limit, and have the car in illegal disrepair, and have an illegal substance in the car .... then they are going to get in trouble with the law. Blaming the cop is silly. And no, their lives aren't 'ruined'. That's an extreme statement and it isn't true.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

If the 20 year old was speeding or had a faulty tail light, and had dope, then that's on HIM and not the cop. Don't blame the cop for the errors of the ADULT. Yes ... 20 is adult.

TRUE ..... However his daughter was only a passenger? and in the

back?

Not her car? so how is she responsible for the contents in the car

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
My advice to you is to let it go, just like your daughter did. After Rodney_Michael_Eric_Gate, cops are assured there are no consequences and they can in fact get away with anything, even murder.

Ever see "Crash"? Highly recommended for a small town look at the bigger picture--

*Language*

Really!?! Your advice is to just let go, because USA is allready a police state, so why try to change it...
Its like telling someone "Dont learn anything, cause your allready stupid"... Bad advice IMO

It will NEVER change, if you dont try to do something about it!

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
That's the way it works. It's just like if my daughter was with a pod of girls in the store and only one of them shoplifted, they all would get busted. Gotta' be careful what friends you keep.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You weren't even there yet you produced reams of exact info paragraph after paragraph.. hmm.

You made sarcastic light of her conviction too.. .

Prisons are filled with convicts whose moms said "They didn't DO it! I know my child".

But. ..a female Leo should've been called.

Car load of people.. .at least one on probation, drugs, moving violation.. .good Leo call.

Maybe your daughter one day will tell you all the real details and the backgrounds of the other 4.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I know it's impossible that your daughter is lying or not embellishing anything..I mean no kid anywhere has done that ever over the course of history when pulled over by the cops.

I see you made fun of her arrest for shoplifting because it was only a $10 tee shirt.
Then they just got pulled over for speeding.
Then they had weed in the car and just because you think something should be a certain way doesn't mean it is that way. I think prostitution should be legal but it's not and if I pursued it and got arrested it's on me and not the cops that arrested me.
You said you feel bad for the kid that got the DUI, how about this, don't have a reason to receive a DUI.

What I don't see you say anywhere in your post is accepting the fact that they are responsible for their own actions and if you didn't want your daughters friends pulled over then they shouldn't have given the police a reason to pull them over. I know, accountability for your own actions is a forbidden concept to some here.

As for yet another ridiculous claim that we are living in a police state their are multiple countries around the world where you can go experience a police state, feel free to visit them and compare your experience to living in America.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Let me know how that battle with the police at night on the side of the road works out for you…

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I am not an american but dutch and I am worried for the US citizens from what I read and see about the liberties US cops take. It is as if you should be happy not to get 'accidently' shot by a frustrated and incompetent police officer when pulled over.

Going back to recent events...I think the people in New York just had about enough of the way the NYPD is treating its citizens. And then there is always the frisking security at airports... When and where does it end.

Some people advice to start recording when pulled over... Maybe you should check out this vid, it is certainly relevant to your case I think. Throw a cheap recorder in the glovecompartment of your car, you will thank yourself later.

edit on 25/12/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Your 20 yr. old just learned a lesson about authoritarians and specifically the illegitimate power LEO's possess.

I see you got a "morality lesson" by apologists as a bonus. These are the people that would do the same if given the entitlement.

Again, an important lesson about society.

She needs to understand what kind of a person she intends to be and what kind of world she wants to live in. I found myself in a similar situation with criminal LEO's in my 20's but the problem was I ignored it instead of processing the situation fully.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This story strengthens my argument that if the police want respect from us, they better give it to us first. I'm sorry she ran into a nazi but there are good officers out there too. Pity for them their oppressive brothers overshadow their good actions. That cop sounds like he should return to the junior high locker room and smack people with towels. There's no need to have bullies like him "policing".

When TSHTF I hope he finds himself outgunned and running like a chicken from the people he formerly oppressed. Run chicken run, and remember without your gun and badge you're another little person...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Devil's Advocate here. You don't have to smoke MJ in the car to have the smell about you. Two about the frisking, yes it was disturbing but I see no 'reasonable' alternative to cross-sex frisking - many times a women doing the job would be worse. Would you like all police stops to have to wait on a same sex officer to arrive at the scene before checking for the possiblity of a suspect concealing a weapon?

When I was in my late teens and early twenties - years ago mind you and being white - whilte police were quite agressive towards us the few times I had dealings with them and today my daughter experiences the same. For me, as for your daughter is was a 'wake-up' call about how easily one can get into 'the system' and how hard it is to get out 'of the system'. I think it can be a valuable lesson to take forward in life making one more cognizant of their actions and understanding of how 'unjust' our so-called justice system can be.

I don't think it is either wise or smart to pursue a 'legal' solution to your outrage. Meeting agression with further agression is not an effective tactic.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Your 20 yr. old just learned a lesson about authoritarians and specifically the illegitimate power LEO's possess.

I see you got a "morality lesson" by apologists as a bonus. These are the people that would do the same if given the entitlement.

Again, an important lesson about society.

She needs to understand what kind of a person she intends to be and what kind of world she wants to live in. I found myself in a similar situation with criminal LEO's in my 20's but the problem was I ignored it instead of processing the situation fully.

Thank you for your post. Yes, it seems there are several posters here that feel they got exactly what they deserved. Go Big Blue...Barf.

I never made light of her getting into trouble for shoplifting. It was a stupid mistake, a lesson learned. I didn't bail her out by hiring her a lawyer, who no doubt would've gotten her a much better deal and possibly no perm record. I let her learn her lesson, the hard way.

Now, back to the issue at hand for those mucking up my OP by projecting their sick 'em type attitude towards what actually happened. The marijuana wasn't hers and it wasn't the drivers, either. There were five ADULTS in the car and it belonged to one of the other three. The car did not smell like it, it was in a sealed jar. They didn't smoke it in the car and the driver was sober as a judge.

The driver didn't start speeding until after the LEO started riding their tail. That's a natural reaction most people do when someone starts riding their tail, especially at night, on a two lane road. I know I do. I have a feeling even if they didn't speed, they would have been pulled over for something else.

Back to the speeding issue. THAT is why they were pulled over. All of the other stuff happened after the LEO found he had a car full of young adults...That's when their rights were violated and that's what I have a problem with.

As far as my nephew goes, he didn't realize that he had a LICENSE plate light out until he was pulled over. Idk, I guess as a licensed driver he should always do a walk around of the vehicle and full inspection, even before driving two miles down the road? That's the feeling I get from some of these responses, lol. He wasn't high, drunk or anything. He got pulled over for the light and the cop said he "looked" impaired, even though he didn't get pulled over for a traffic violation, but a busted light.

Some people are SO dense, they just don't get it. Or, they're the ones (or their loved ones, or they just have a weird LEO fetish) out there terrorizing people, especially young adults that don't understand their rights. THAT is what I have an issue with.

I never "apologized" about bad behavior. However, if possessing 5 grams of MJ is a pay out ticket with no perm mark on your criminal history, then that's all that should have been given out. Giving a young adult college male a DUI because someone had MJ in his car? That is total abuse of power. Period.

My daughter being frisked, put into a cop car, her cell phone taken away and her being harassed and threatened because she was a passenger getting a ride home? In a car that was originally stopped for speeding? That's also ridiculous, and wrong.

I'm just glad she had enough sense to shut her mouth and when she did speak, as the right questions and say the appropriate things to let the LEO's know she knew what they were doing was wrong and that she knew her RIGHTS.

Another officer actually showed up and was very nice to her. She has been sick and he let her sit in his car, the one with the heat on. The other cop unrolled all his windows and turned off the heat...Not sure why he felt the need to do that when it was only 30 degrees out.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
You weren't even there yet you produced reams of exact info paragraph after paragraph.. hmm.

You made sarcastic light of her conviction too.. .

Prisons are filled with convicts whose moms said "They didn't DO it! I know my child".

But. ..a female Leo should've been called.

Car load of people.. .at least one on probation, drugs, moving violation.. .good Leo call.

Maybe your daughter one day will tell you all the real details and the backgrounds of the other 4.

LMFAO. Wow.

"You weren't even there yet you produced reams of exact info paragraph after paragraph.. hmm. " Umm, she had just told me about this an hour or so earlier and I have a good memory...Not sure what your point is here? Actually, not sure what your point is, at all. LEO fan I guess? Or, maybe a fan of all US citizens having NO rights anymore? Maybe you're one of these Nazi type cops yourself?

Getting an almost 4 year probation for unauthorized use of property conviction IS ridiculous and, no, I never made light of her getting in trouble. Way to mince words to twist it how you see fit.

I know the other ADULTS who were in the car, all four of them. So, no need for her to tell me about their backgrounds. They all went to high school together and have all been friends for years.

Drugs? 5 grams of MJ is NOT drugs. It's decriminalized in my state, but I guess LEO's didn't get that memo because now they just charge the driver of the vehicle with DUI, even if they aren't drunk or using marijuana.

Get real.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

LMAO. You reply with paragraphs of defense again of heresay told to you by your daughter. Are you sure you weren't there?

Your response to my simple ascertation of your defensiveness and exactness of what you were TOLD....well now.... Nephew sounds like a prize too...but wait...sorry...he's just forgetful...

I get it now. We all get it. Way to go mom...ROTFLMAO

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join