It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP poll: Police killings of blacks voted top story of 2014/also biggest fake story of 2014?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

By "killing their own" I was implying that race was not involved in the motivation in any way shape or form. Something else is going on.
I actually blame the media, video games, TV, movies for making violence the answer to conflict nearly 100% of the time.
And yes, that influences people and their behavior. Rather people believe it or not.

The emphasis on killing being mainly racially motivated is insane given the stats, yet that is what the media would have us all believe.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Killing is not a crime of convenience, like common theft. It is a crime of anger. Rage. Or necessity. Regardless, lack of a tool isn't going to prevent the crime. The killing will happen using a different tool.

Now let me first state that I am absolutely pro-Gun...
I think it's a definitive right of the people & I would be happier if the UK had that availability also.

With that said...
*It takes a really psychopathic person to strangle someone to death...*
*It takes a real sociopathic person to blow up an area...*
*It takes a really unnerved person to stab someone to death...*

Shooting someone, can easily be done by a coward, provided they have the aim... As proven the other day.

*Self Defence, Mental Health or Revenge aside.*

So in a sense I do think a gun makes it easier to kill someone...
& I think if we looked at the statistics of all these types of killing, shooting would be right at the top...

Because let's face it, psychopaths are rare, sociopaths are hard to come by, & people who are not squeamish at the sight of a lot of blood & the sound of popping skin are well outnumbered by the cowards of society.

However I don't think that's the be all & end all of the discussion.
I'm open to/prepared to welcome criticism for this post.

edit on 22-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Meh kinda.

I guess my thing is if we are going to say we need to have a serious talk about why people are killing people, the how needs to be discussed as well.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

With that said...
*It takes a really psychopathic person to strangle someone to death...*
*It takes a real sociopathic person to blow up an area...*
*It takes a really unnerved person to stab someone to death...*

Shooting someone, can easily be done by a coward, provided they have the aim... As proven the other day.

This is where I am at too.
I to don't mind guns used for the stance against a tyrannical gov, but that is just not what they are being used for these days.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: xuenchen

Not likely as it would then become a terror issue as with all politically motivated acts of violence...

& I don't think, if that was true, the republican leaning police would want to be seen as eliminating democratic voters either.

Actually more likely true.

And the vast majority of police "problems" are in Democrat controlled areas.

Terrorism isn't the issue.

The MSM has many people freaked out and believing the opposite of what is true.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw
Bill O'Reilly cites faulty data for claim about shooting deaths of blacks, whites by police
www.politifact.com...

Coroners only sometimes indicate police involvement on Death Certificates, there is no requirement or need to indicate the same. Only 17 states provide those death certificates to the CDC (where O'Reilly got the figure) and he included all other races as "White" including Hispanics, Middle-Eastern descent etc.

So once you understand how O'Reilly cited very bad numbers..you can then also contemplate that African Americans make up 13% of the population vs. 77% White.

Now...think for a moment...all of the above was provided without taking a position on the controversy. A simple examination of the facts...conclusions come afterwards and are entirely up to each of us. Knee jerk emotional-ideological thinking is not healthy for anyone on either side of the debate.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
Bill O'Reilly cites faulty data for claim about shooting deaths of blacks, whites by police
www.politifact.com...

Coroners only sometimes indicate police involvement on Death Certificates, there is no requirement or need to indicate the same. Only 17 states provide those death certificates to the CDC (where O'Reilly got the figure) and he included all other races as "White" including Hispanics, Middle-Eastern descent etc.

So once you understand how O'Reilly cited very bad numbers..you can then also contemplate that African Americans make up 13% of the population vs. 77% White.

Now...think for a moment...all of the above was provided without taking a position on the controversy. A simple examination of the facts...conclusions come afterwards and are entirely up to each of us. Knee jerk emotional-ideological thinking is not healthy for anyone on either side of the debate.

The O'Reilly data is not the data I was referring to.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: seeker1963

Meh kinda.

I guess my thing is if we are going to say we need to have a serious talk about why people are killing people, the how needs to be discussed as well.

I think the root of it is dehumanization. Sometimes justified killings, sometimes not, but their is a disturbing trend where the shooter, criminal or cop, seems un-phased by their actions. Sociopathy is a spectrum. The simple realization that each of us is someone's son or daughter, brother or sister or husband or wife can turn an interaction to a less fatal outcome IMO. If in that mindset and context a trigger still needs to be pulled, then at least it is done with the gravitas that killing another human being demands. God/nature/the universe created that life, if we choose to over-rule the Universe then we should do it with the mind-set that we can appropriately justify that hubris to our maker one day in the distant ..or not so distant future.
edit on 23-12-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Indigo5
www.politifact.com...

The O'Reilly data is not the data I was referring to.

You cited O'Reilly's claims in your OP?

If you are referring to the other numbers, what is there source?

As far as black people killing black people or white people killing white people?...

I imagine that has more to do with social/economic/racial segregation than it does with color.

The vast majority of the time, people kill people they know and interact with.

If you were to set two bombs (which can not see color), one in Manhattan and another in Harlem...you would get to very different fatality outcomes by ethnicity.

I would venture to guess that a hypothetical city neighborhood equally mixed between Whites and African Americans all having homogenous incomes would show a balanced race outcome for fatalities between white and black.

Crime is a product of economics IMO. Mental health is sometimes nature, sometimes nurture, but color isn't a cause.

Police involved shootings are a separate issue IMO. Driven by training, policy, hiring decisions etc. IMO. More racially diverse police forces, more community engagement (aka..Police town-halls in the community) would help both sides see each-other as more human IMO.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It's simple. Keep the people divided and against each other or they might just turn on the government or the people controlling the government. Keep the people poor and uninformed and convinced somebody else is to blame for their problems. Promise them whatever they want and when you don't deliver, blame somebody else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join