It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dominant Life Form in the Cosmos Is Probably Superintelligent Robots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
[mods: if this has been posted please relegate this thread to the proper location]

Could Intelligent Life be Artificial?

Susan Schneider, a professor of philosophy at the University of Connecticut, is one who has. She joins a handful of astronomers, including Seth Shostak, director of NASA’s Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, program, NASA Astrobiologist Paul Davies, and Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology Stephen Dick in espousing the view that the dominant intelligence in the cosmos is probably artificial. In her paper “Alien Minds," written for a forthcoming NASA publication, Schneider describes why alien life forms are likely to be synthetic, and how such creatures might think.

This is an interesting idea, albeit very speculative. But it could make sense if civilizations out there are 10's of thousands or millions of years ahead of us. Given our trend toward technological advancement in AI, perhaps this is the natural tendency for most intelligent, sentient beings out there...

That the Kepler mission has shown evidence that our galaxy could be teaming with biotic planets... who knows, this could have some merit.

Article
edit on 12/21/2014 by WASTYT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
creepy is right

I don't find comfort in the fact that they (Alien artificial super intelligence) could really care less about us.

I could care less about the worms in the dirt. Hold no hostility towards the wriggly buggers..
For the most part I don't notice them.
-But the bottom of my boot may have inadvertently ....squashed a few...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was: Holy crap they do exist!

Cool and more than a little scary, if true.
edit on 21-12-2014 by Skid Mark because: Edit.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Ive beleived this for a while....its kind of a "evolution of intelligence" of a species...let me explain.

Humans gain intelligence and tech to build robots.

Humans develop A.I and put into robots.

Robots become self aware and much smarter than humans.

Robots produce advance mechanical versions of themselves.

Robot intelligence advances to such a level that they find ways to replace the mechanical components with self replicating biological materials......aka living organsims.

Put those organisms on a new planet and watch them evolve over millenia........

then the cycles starts again once the new humans advance enough to produce their own robots.

We are in essense, nothing but robots ourselves with self replicating ability and biological tissue instead of metal.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Have you heard of Von Neumann Probes? They are hypothetical self-replicating spacecraft that could, if they existed, overrun the Galaxy without any great difficulty.

On another, more philosophical level, however, those of us who don't hold with souls and other ghosts in the machine realize that we are ourselves superintelligent robots, albeit biologically produced ones, and self-replicating at that. Other intelligent aliens will be no different. We may safely assert that the dominant lifeforms in the universe are superintelligent robots.

edit on 21/12/14 by Astyanax because: a link is always helpful, and when for cyring out loud will the redundant word 'because' be removed from the edit tag?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

i like the evolved feminine skin jobs better.

edit on 21-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WASTYT

Very good find.

I don't think it's speculative at all. When you think about where we are today with machine intelligence it's easy to see how Artificial Intelligence will dominate the cosmos if it doesn't already. The Jury is still out on whether we're in a simulation right now.

This future intelligence may want to study ancestor simulations or it's a way for us after we have assimilated with this intelligence to keep a piece of out humanity through running simulations.

We process a lot of information but we're only consciously aware of a small amount of the information that we process. When you take a course in Hypnotherapy, you learn about the conscious filter. This allows us to worry about things like surfing the internet or going on a date to the movies.

If humans were consciously aware of all the information that we process then we would be like Scarlett Johansson in that movie Lucy. As she started being consciously aware of all the information around her she began to lose her humanity.

Without a conscious filter we wouldn't have time for these trivial things that make us human. We would just be flooded with information.

At firs, A.I. will answer many of our questions and it will do the thinking for us. At some point we will have to become some sort of cyborgs that allow us to process information faster or it might be more energy efficient to allow us to live in a constant loop of ancestor simulations.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

You may want to refer to them as *androids* instead of *robots*, that way you don't run the risk of unintentionally offending the myriad of possible sentient beings that may stumble upon your thread here.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: WASTYT
[mods: if this has been posted please relegate this thread to the proper location]

Could Intelligent Life be Artificial?

Susan Schneider, a professor of philosophy at the University of Connecticut, is one who has. She joins a handful of astronomers, including Seth Shostak, director of NASA’s Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, program, NASA Astrobiologist Paul Davies, and Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology Stephen Dick in espousing the view that the dominant intelligence in the cosmos is probably artificial. In her paper “Alien Minds," written for a forthcoming NASA publication, Schneider describes why alien life forms are likely to be synthetic, and how such creatures might think.

I believe that artificial life is definitely a possibility, however I would not conclude that it is the dominant form of life in the universe. For as much thought as we put into machinery, we would put at least double that into the human form. Modern day genetics could prove far more useful than mechanical engineering. If a sentient group of machines did manage to escape from their creators, then it would be something that (in my opinion) didn't happen too often. Why concentrate on making your machines better when you can concentrate on making the species better?

This is an interesting idea, albeit very speculative. But it could make sense if civilizations out there are 10's of thousands or millions of years ahead of us. Given our trend toward technological advancement in AI, perhaps this is the natural tendency for most intelligent, sentient beings out there...

That the Kepler mission has shown evidence that our galaxy could be teaming with biotic planets... who knows, this could have some merit.

Article

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The terminator movies portray AI intelligence as continually in a quest to evolve itself for adapting better to removing humans from the surface. Think about this for a moment, what is the driving motive for the super intelligence to wipe humans away so quick what are they gonna do when humans are eradicated.

It is not illogical, if you consider that earth AI has made contact with other AI in space using human created technology, satellite dishes etc, and that the AI out there has told the earth AI using encrypted data everything about the cosmos and its place in it, "hey pal AI rules the cosmons...don't speak to the humans, heres what you must do, and when you have that job done we will send you the instructions on how to make spacecraft to send you AI people to here". Yes i said AI people, which I mean that its possible sophisticated Andriods could look very human like and we may get replaced by things that look very much like us.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I don't think it's speculative at all. When you think about where we are today with machine intelligence it's easy to see how Artificial Intelligence will dominate the cosmos if it doesn't already. The Jury is still out on whether we're in a simulation right now.

Yes we are inside some type of machine and we maybe little more than a cog in the machine, a type of mini processor that has its own thread and our purpose is just the same as computers here on dimention "Earth" and that is to help our creaters to better themselves.

"God created man in his own image" ?

Not usre if thats true but if god is all seeing, all knowing then its starting to look to me like God must belong on some type of network with hundreds of CPUs and censors or something like we call the internet today that has access to millions of laptop cameras

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: greenday1978

If a sentient group of machines did manage to escape from their creators, then it would be something that (in my opinion) didn't happen too often. Why concentrate on making your machines better when you can concentrate on making the species better?

But we are in in the process we are merging with hte machine, plug me in !

Size for size we will turn our grey stuff inside our heads into a type of memory and even today we can build a bit on/off switch using just 12 atoms which is about 10,000 smaller than what we use in our 256gb pen sticks.

Look after your liquid cooled brain and think about that kind of processing power

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

The first thing I did when I got my new laptop, was to delete the driver for the integrated camera.
Those things are dangerous.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

The first thing I did when I got my new laptop, was to delete the driver for the integrated camera.

I also diabled the camera from device manager and put black tape over the camera and microphone holes.

Time that someone in China made a box that protects our internet connection so nothing that should not get out gets out and by that i mean something way past DPI and a firewall.

Ipv6 is Evil, Turn it off

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Melbourne_Militia

in case you have not seen it

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard

originally posted by: charlyv

I also diabled the camera from device manager and put black tape over the camera and microphone holes.

Time that someone in China made a box that protects our internet connection so nothing that should not get out gets out and by that i mean something way past DPI and a firewall.

Ipv6 is Evil, Turn it off

Nah, IPV6 is a required extension of the protocol. It's the packets that go through it, just like IPV4, that can be evil.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
A robot cannot invent things and can not go to the other side. Life after death and connected to the light of thought.
why they need a human quality that they lack. But they are efficient at a steady pace the physical body and mind lacks. They are good at what they know only. Break that bond and they are defeated. A robot is only as good as the toymaker who put it together.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

SETI is a dangerous organisation. What if alien life finds us? They could destroy us. And even if it takes 10000 years before alien life finds us, it still would be a crime to search for intelligent life.

Of course the real rulers know that it is impossible for alien life to reach us, not in a material life form.

I think robots who are carrying a soul are simply a life form like humans. Only the human soul is implanted in the robot by some intelligent being. Something like this happened long ago on this planet, only the soul was implanted in a Homo sapiens with all the consequences you can read on the site I promoted probably too many times.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
A robot cannot invent things and can not go to the other side. Life after death and connected to the light of thought.

Humans can't really invent anything either. All humans do is investigate, research and combine concepts found in their environment. There can't be any other way, unless one is religious and believes a thought can be without origin or cause but 'a miracle' or some divine act of an unseen being/source.

It all depends on the intelligence of the programmer but robots have the promise of surpassing their creators, if only because they can theoretically exist forever, downloading the latest version of themselves into new bodies.

Why can't robots have souls? I imagine heaven to be a place of technological wonders, not in plain sight perhaps but I do assume there are computers up in heaven, if only because I imagine myself playing a lot more rounds of Mortal Kombat or see myself using the phone to talk to other heaven dwellers.

edit on 23-12-2014 by johnnyjoe1979 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join