It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Stops Fellow Cop From Choking a Handcuffed Man, She Was Then Beaten and Fired

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
thefreethoughtproject.com...

“I don’t regret it, I’d do it again”
Buffalo , NY– While killer cops get sent on paid vacations, it’s hard to imagine what one has to do to actually be fired. It turns out, the answer is be a good cop.

Former Buffalo Police Officer, Cariol Horne is fighting for her pension since she was fired after 19 years on the force, over an incident in 2006 when she stopped a fellow officer from choking a handcuffed suspect.

Horne had received a call that Officer Gregory Kwiatkowski was at the scene of a domestic dispute and in need of assistance. When she arrived, she witnessed Kwiatkowski violently punching the handcuffed suspect in the face.

Is this SOP in most depts?

n almost every single video we see, there are other officers present and allowing it to happen. Sadly, with departments across the nation upholding their reputation of vilifying anyone who dares to cross the thin blue line, it’s no wonder there is such a shortage of police willing to speak out against the atrocities we have been witnessing.

While many police may choose this line of work because they want to be “heroic,” Horne is a true hero- and she does not regret her actions. Nobody ever said being a hero is easy.

The system is broken and I don't see it changing with the militarization of Law enforcement.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If it's as reported and she has a good attorney, they'll sue the NYPD for her pension and then some, a lot some.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I just can't take it anymore! What the hell is going on here? Did I slip through some effing bizzaro world wormhole or something? Seriously, WTF!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Imagine if just one of the officers who stood around watching Eric Garner’s life being taken had the courage Horne had.

Unfortunately, they would probably be in the same situation she is.

Nothing like outlandish, conjecture to paint all cops with the same brush.

No bias in that article, eh.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Kwaitkowski is accused of using excessive force while the victim was already under arrest. His fellow officers then shot at a handcuffed teenager with the teens own BB gun, after the boy was aready handcuffed and in the back seat of their police vehicle.
Read more at thefreethoughtproject.com...

This cop couldnt stop apparently, also choked another police officer...

edit on 19-12-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Imagine if just one of the officers who stood around watching Eric Garner’s life being taken had the courage Horne had.

If this article is true, there are not a lot of articles on the incident. It seems like the only ones that are reporting it are the ones that criticize police. Is there something from the MSM on this that I didn't find because I too would like to hear a less slanted version but I wonder if it is possible. This is Bad.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

No doubt, it's definitely not good form.

As you said, a less agenda driven source might shed a bit more light on this.

Something tells me, since this is from 2006, that there is more to both sides of this story.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I think both sides are full of it. I did some reading about this case: the officer that allegedly did the beating and choking won not one but two defamation lawsuits (one against Horne and one against her attorney). That officer is also now awaiting trial on civil rights violations for an unrelated case.

Even years after the fact the story is inconsistent on Horne's side. In one article she walked in on the officer punching this guy in the face and then choking him. In another article the guy was laying on the ground outside with the officer on top of him. Horne's attorney says this cop was one of the biggest complaint getters on the department. The cops record doesn't support that.

There's a slew of inconsistencies, on both sides. Given that this cop is awaiting trial for allegedly roughing up subjects and using excessive force (all falling under civil rights violations) I'm inclined to think SOME thing happened, but I don't think it went down the way Horne says it did.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I didn't find anything that doesn't have a very obvious bias present, most all of it is on one site and one site alone.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

If this article is true, there are not a lot of articles on the incident. It seems like the only ones that are reporting it are the ones that criticize police. Is there something from the MSM on this that I didn't find because I too would like to hear a less slanted version but I wonder if it is possible. This is Bad.

While neither of these report that she was 'bashed' they do show that that the events appear to be consistent.

A jury Monday found no wrongdoing by Buffalo police in a violent arrest five years ago, so no damages were awarded in a civil case against the five police officers.

"The Lord watches over those who tell the truth," Police Officer Anthony Porzio said outside the courtroom after the State Supreme Court verdict.

Porzio was among the officers named in David Neal Mack's lawsuit, which alleged false arrest, battery and malicious prosecution following his Nov. 1, 2006, arrest.

Cariol J. Horne, a former officer and African-American, was involved in an on-duty confrontation with a white police officer, Gregory Kwiatkowski, who she claimed was choking Mack during the arrest. She was fired from her job for interfering with the other officer, sparking outrage from her supporters.

Link 1

Horne, an African-American, was involved in an on-duty confrontation with a white police officer, Gregory Kwiatkowski, whom she claimed was choking a suspect during an arrest on Nov. 1, 2006. She was fired from her job for interfering with Kwiatkowski, sparking outrage from her supporters and highlighting racial divisions on the Buffalo police force and in the community.

She said she was trying to prevent Kwiatkowski from hurting a man he was placing under arrest.

Link 2

This person was and is a criminal masquerading as a police officer. And his buddies seem no better.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

No doubt, it's definitely not good form.

As you said, a less agenda driven source might shed a bit more light on this.

Something tells me, since this is from 2006, that there is more to both sides of this story.

She has been fighting to get her pension since her dismissal, so I am guessing with recent events in the media about police choking people, she is using that to sway things in her favour.

And I don't really blame her, where she is, it seems biased against her already.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Police departments nationwide have painted themselves with that "same brush", by not taking a stand against bad cops, but instead protecting them, and acting in collusion with them. Neither the police, nor the courts, are doing anything to dissuade that "outlandish conjecture". They are in fact, adding fuel to the fire. imho.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well, maybe when they stop painting all of us with the "Guilty till proven innocent" brush, we'll consider giving them the same courtesy. Till the "good" ones stop the bad ones, I lump them all together.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

How is it that they should "take a stand" against things? Let's say you've got a department in Nebraska, or Virginia, or Montana. They don't have any officers running around beating people up (because whether anybody on ATS believes it, there are many departments that have good relationships with their communities). So what are they supposed to do? They don't have the opportunity to arrest other cops because they have no reason to. Should they hold a press conference every time another department has an officer do something wrong? Or is it one of those "you're all the same until you prove otherwise and of you can't prove it, oh well" things?

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
You're complicating something that is very simple.

If every cop out there knew unprofessional and illegal behavior would not be tolerated by his/her fellow officers any longer, it wouldn't be long before most of the bad ones would be weeded out. If every cop knew they would be arrested and prosecuted for their offenses, it wouldn't be long before the bad ones would resign for fear of being prosecuted for their crimes.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

And people wonder why there is NO respect for LEOs anymore?

And the next time I hear an ATS LEO say that he has arrested fellow cops, I will point to this thread and tell him he is full of it until he supplies the arrest reports.

edit on 20-12-2014 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I'm not complicating anything. You said police departments paint themselves by "not standing up" against bad cops. I asked how they can stand up against bad cops. There's nothing complicated about that.

Of COURSE if every officer knew that illegal and unprofessional behavior wouldn't be tolerated and would bring harsh consequences it would help get rid of the bad apples. But that's not what you said initially, and what you said initially is what my question pertained to. I'm really not trying to debate anything with you, I just want to know how you want them to stand up to things. I'ts a common refrain here on ATS. "well until all cops are standing up against bad cops then they're all the same." okay, but how do you want them to stand up against bad cops? Some departments, like NYPD and LAPD it's easy because there's crap all over the place. Buffalo PD is corrupt as hell and has been for years and years. But what about cops on other departments? The ones that have a good city council, or a good county board of supervisors, and a good chief, and good deputy chiefs, all of whom understand what police are really for, and how to use them properly to protect and help the community? How are THOSE officers supposed to "stand up against" bad cops?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

If it's as reported and she has a good attorney, they'll sue the NYPD for her pension and then some, a lot some.

Why would she sue the NYPD?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Do I smell a bigger rat?
Black on white?
Women against men?
19 yrs is a long time to be a cop.....what was this womans previous record? We know the other officer may not be lily white by inference...but whats her history?
Perhaps other factors play onto this strongly.....
Was this woman set up because she was a woman or black or honest?
edit on 20-12-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Was this woman set up because she was a woman or black or honest?

How about all 3?

Ever notice that when a story comes out about a cop arresting or stopping a fellow cop it is a black woman arresting/stopping a white man cop?

Coincidence?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join