It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senator blocks veterans' suicide prevention bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) blocked the Senate from passing a veterans’ suicide prevention bill.

I’m going to be objecting to this bill because it actually throws money away,” Coburn said. “We’re the ones to blame for not holding the VA accountable.

“I don’t think this bill is going to do one thing to change what is happening.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said suicide is a personal issue for him, as his father killed himself. He said 22 veterans kill themselves every day.

“We shouldn’t delay a minute more to pass this legislation,” Reid said on the Senate floor Monday. “There is only one senator standing in the way.”

The bipartisan bill passed in the House last week. But Coburn was the final hurdle to passing the legislation before the Senate adjourns for the year.

Source: thehill.com...

Appalling. Absolutely inexcusable.

I question the title using the term "GOP". Is there really a Grand Ole Party left?

edit on 12/19/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I don't care if you're GOP or DEM, for or against the war. These are people we're talking about. We may not agree with them partaking in the war, but we can't hold the fact that they thought they were doing the right thing against them.

Give them the help they need. I know how it feels to be in those shoes.

Edit: Screw those who think helping vets is a waste of money.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Maybe you should read why he blocked it instead of regurgitation some MSM BS.

The guy ain't running for another term. He vowed to stay only three terms and then leave. He is doing exactly what he promised. The guy is upstanding and honorable which is way more than can be said for 95% of those in Washington. He'll be sorely missed.

Dec 15 2014
Dr. Coburn's Statement on Protecting Veterans and Taxpayers
Senator Tom Coburn today objected to passage of a bill supporters claim would help prevent veterans’ suicides but would actually do little to actually fix the broken VA health system that is failing to adequately care for veterans.

“Instead of holding VA bureaucrats accountable to ensure existing efforts are meeting the mental health needs of veterans, this bill would duplicate programs the VA which the agency has already failed to manage,” Coburn said.

“All Americans-- veterans and taxpayers alike-- should be outraged at this tragic situation. Those calling my office in support of this bill should instead be calling the VA demanding the agency and their own member of Congress demanding that they keep the promise to care for veterans.”

While well-intentioned, H.R. 5059 would do little to change or improve the deplorable situation at the VA, which is providing substandard medical care for the country’s military heroes. The bill creates several new programs at the VA and authorizes $22 million in new federal spending. In almost every case, however, the VA already has the tools and authorities it needs to address these serious problems. Further concerns with the legislation can be viewed here.

“Congress should hold VA bureaucrats accountable for their failing programs and substandard medical care instead of passing legislation that will do little to solve the tragic challenge of veteran suicides.” said Senator Coburn. “Our military heroes deserve more than false promises. It is dishonest for Congress to pretend that passing yet another bill will finally solve the challenges plaguing the VA.”

“The VA has proven that questions need to be asked before it is entrusted with the lives of veterans or the money of taxpayers. The only way Congress can help the VA solve this problem is through rigorous oversight, to ensure the promises we’ve already made are being carried out. New programs and new funding is not the answer, but give false hope to those already suffering.”

More than 1,000 veterans have died a result of poor medical care and waiting lines at the VA, found Friendly Fire: Death, Delay, and Dismay at the VA, a report on mismanagement at the VA released by Dr. Coburn earlier this year. Among its findings, the report exposed the failure of the VA in addressing the mental health needs of our servicemen and women. The VA failed to meet its 14-day goal in 34 percent of new mental health appointments in the areas of psychiatry, psychology, post-traumatic stress disorder, and substance abuse in 2013.

“This is a serious issue and needs a serious response. Only in Washington would someone think the answer is to give more money and responsibility to an agency that has made headlines all year for providing substandard care, long delays for veterans to see a health care provider, and mismanagement,” said Coburn. “Instead of pretending this bill will somehow fix the problem—which the President just signed a $10 billion bill in August to address—is typical Washington.”

As a physician, Dr. Coburn believes veterans should have access to the best medical are and any doctor they choose, not locked inside this broken system that clearly does not have the necessary mix of providers needed to care for vets in a timely manner. The legislation he introduced with Senators McCain and Burr, the Veteran’s Choice Act, was the basis for giving veterans more choice and accessibility to medical providers and non-VA hospitals in veteran’s hometowns.

“How many bills need to be passed before Congress realizes the VA is unaccountable and takes real actions to ensure the fulfillment of the promises made to our veterans?”

A video of the speech is here.

Permalink: www.coburn.senate.gov...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Er, what am I missing? Is he blocking it or not? I believe he is. Apparently you and I differ on the definition of the word "honorable".

In no way is this action 'honorable.'

And your source is Colburn's own website? Okay, gotcha. : )

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
With 1.1 trillion in the budget. Ukraine getting $350 million worth of military and a fracking radio show...
$22 million for depressed vets is a full eye dropper in a swimming pool. And Coburn is pissing in the deep end.
edit on 19-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) blocked the Senate from passing a veterans’ suicide prevention bill.

I’m going to be objecting to this bill because it actually throws money away,” Coburn said. “We’re the ones to blame for not holding the VA accountable.

“I don’t think this bill is going to do one thing to change what is happening.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said suicide is a personal issue for him, as his father killed himself. He said 22 veterans kill themselves every day.

“We shouldn’t delay a minute more to pass this legislation,” Reid said on the Senate floor Monday. “There is only one senator standing in the way.”

The bipartisan bill passed in the House last week. But Coburn was the final hurdle to passing the legislation before the Senate adjourns for the year.

Source: thehill.com...

Appalling. Absolutely inexcusable.

I question the title using the term "GOP". Is there really a Grand Ole Party left?

Ddah, who wants back home a solder? Wasted material. Scrap. Nothing new. Just don't enlist, simple answer.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

I don't care if you're GOP or DEM, for or against the war. These are people we're talking about. We may not agree with them partaking in the war, but we can't hold the fact that they thought they were doing the right thing against them.

Give them the help they need. I know how it feels to be in those shoes.

Edit: Screw those who think helping vets is a waste of money.

It's no secret I'm a pacifist.
But your statements needed repeating.
The VA is being watched like a hawk. Military people re-entering the real world Need to be told what help is out there. I'm so sick of politicians voting something down because "it doesn't go far enough". ANY aid is Better than NONE.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
No one makes those dust bags to enlist. The cause to go to war is dubious. Pay back is foggy. What the #$@&# to complain?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
War veterans. The ones who did murder in masses in Nam? Afghanistan? He'll with those mutherlovers, burn in hell.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Bear in mind they want to put this all back on the Veteran's Administration, which they don't want to fund properly either.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Er, what am I missing? Is he blocking it or not? I believe he is. Apparently you and I differ on the definition of the word "honorable".

Yes it's Coburn's site and he's telling you exactly why he blocked it. Do you not believe him? He's not running again so he has nothing to hide. He didn't want to throw good money after bad. He's right. They need to fix the VA first before they just had them more millions/billions to waste and not giving the proper treatment and care to our vets. You don't find that honorable? I do and respect what he did. More of the idiots in Washington should be careful of how they spend our money and demand the agencies that receive it are more careful how they administer it. He's not against helping veterans. He's against helping the VA screw up more than they already have. This approach should be taken with all areas of government.

Ah but you're taking a political stance now aren't you? It's not a moral one that's for sure. Well guess Old Tom won't really care as HE'S NOT RUNNING AGAIN! But I bet you'll try to pin this on other Republicans, huh?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Actually, I think all the Senator's should rename their websites "Damage Control". lol.

I'm not trying to "pin" anything. Just quoting the article. Simple. He's blocking the Suicide Prevention Bill. It's not a secret.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

Yes it's Coburn's site and he's telling you exactly why he blocked it. Do you not believe him? He's not running again so he has nothing to hide. He didn't want to throw good money after bad. He's right. They need to fix the VA first before they just had them more millions/billions to waste and not giving the proper treatment and care to our vets. You don't find that honorable? I do and respect what he did. More of the idiots in Washington should be careful of how they spend our money and demand the agencies that receive it are more careful how they administer it. He's not against helping veterans. He's against helping the VA screw up more than they already have. This approach should be taken with all areas of government.

Ah but you're taking a political stance now aren't you? It's not a moral one that's for sure. Well guess Old Tom won't really care as HE'S NOT RUNNING AGAIN! But I bet you'll try to pin this on other Republicans, huh?

What a lot of people don't realize is that the Vets do have many ways to get mental healthcare help, a lot of them know what that will entail! Being treated poorly and losing their 2nd amendment rights. These things are first in foremost in their minds when they choose to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. Been there done that, and one of the first things they "the shrinks" do is try to put you in a drug and alcohol program for what? Being honest with them!

I would be willing to bet that many of their suicides are out of frustration of how the system treats them!

Coburn is right!

Change how you treat patients seeking help! Throwing money at a doctor who is nothing more than a pill factory and rehap pimp will just cause those who need the help to not seek it out!

Sorry, but I am a nut case speaking from experience, not emotional outrage over an issue that many think throwing more money at it will solve the problem....

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Bilk22

What a lot of people don't realize is that the Vets do have many ways to get mental healthcare help, a lot of them know what that will entail! Being treated poorly and losing their 2nd amendment rights. These things are first in foremost in their minds when they choose to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. Been there done that, and one of the first things they "the shrinks" do is try to put you in a drug and alcohol program for what? Being honest with them!

I would be willing to bet that many of their suicides are out of frustration of how the system treats them!

Coburn is right!

Change how you treat patients seeking help! Throwing money at a doctor who is nothing more than a pill factory and rehap pimp will just cause those who need the help to not seek it out!

Sorry, but I am a nut case speaking from experience, not emotional outrage over an issue that many think throwing more money at it will solve the problem....

Everything you just said = Yep

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When I saw the thread title, I felt a cold chill run up my spine. Once again a politician is playing politics with US veterans' lives.

HR.5059 doesn't even add any money to the VA budget. It simply directs the agency to pay more attention to suicide prevention and veterans' mental health.

HR.5859 sailed through the House and Senate with hardly a whimper. It potentially puts the US military in harm's way, once again. It costs $470,000,000. But a bill that attempts to address some real domestic need is killed by one senator because he thinks that Congress needs to "hold the VA accountable."

I know what HR.5059 says. It can be quickly implemented. Now where is his plan to "hold the VA accountable?" I'm sure if he actually had a plan it would include months of hearings, reams of paperwork, and shed loads of politics. How many more would have to die before his (non-existent) plan would get implemented?

I say this: May Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) experience first-hand the hell that these fine men and women suffer in their minds on a daily basis!

dex

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkorange
War veterans. The ones who did murder in masses in Nam? Afghanistan? He'll with those mutherlovers, burn in hell.

Lol this guy. Say what you mean man: people are people and have rights, except for THOSE people! Those guys? Screw those guys. They're not real people. Only some people deserve things, not everybody!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Actually, I read Colburn's solution. It's "more oversight" of the VA. Wonder how he plans to set up and implement such a vast undertaking?
Crickets.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

a reply to: DexterRiley

Actually, I read Colburn's solution. It's "more oversight" of the VA. Wonder how he plans to set up and implement that?
Crickets.

Quite simple really!

Stop treating the Vets that are seeking help like they are a ticking time bomb or the next murder suspect like in the "Minority Report"!

That would be a good start?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Now would be a good time for Obama to use his executive power, but this is for US Veterans so I'm not going to hold my breath.
edit on 19-12-2014 by NotMoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Sorry for the rant in my previous post. I'm very familiar with mental health issues. And I hold members of the military in the highest regard.

R.O.F.L.O.L: "more oversight" What does that even mean? So, if I understand this correctly, Coburn is saying that a dysfunctional Congress can provide oversight for another dysfunctional agency in the US government. The term blind leading the blind comes to mind here. (No offense to the blind here. I'm sure they are far more functional and beneficial to society than either Congress or the VA.)

From another post, I see that $22 million is supposed to be appropriated for this Congressional Act. However, it states in the bill:

SEC. 8. PROHIBITION ON NEW APPROPRIATIONS.

No additional funds are authorized to be appropriated to carry out
this Act and the amendments made by this Act, and this Act and such
amendments shall be carried out using amounts otherwise made available
for such purposes.

dex

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join