It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret Internet: What governments do not want you to know.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
There is a secret internet out there. Many are not aware of it or how to find out. Why? Because tracking it and its users are impossible. Governments are trying to stop the spread of this information which I feel is against our right to choose.

First you need to find the ONLY web browser that is anonymous and that is TorBrowser. Install Torbrowser and you are now surfing the internet without a traceable internet address that leads back to you. So what is the difference you ask then using a VPN. Most VPN admins will give up the your IP address under subpeopna. Just because you use a VPN this does not always protect your identity. Very few VPN'S are reliable in 100% protection. Actually I can only think of one at this current time.

If you want to confuse and loose big brother than use Tor browser. This includes using the .onion email addresses.

FYI: Always make sure you have .onion and no other address like .com or .net. Many governments are trying to mirror .onion sites and email accounts in hopes of getting your IP address, do you know why?

A word of caution! Criminals use Tor browser with .onion addresses. See Angora website for more info. I don't want to get too much into this.

Do not be tempted by Angora and other type websites out there offering you everything under the sun - these are professional criminals and real hackers BUT if you are looking for info that has been lost or blocked on the internet than Tor browser will help you find it.

Tor browser will give you the freedom that the Internet once had.

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I have Tor. I am very new to all this. I know how Tor works in terms of anonymity, but there is the question of how to access areas that we can't normally through internet explorer and google, and why even bother if it is only illegal stuff?

Also, I read your post, but I still don't get the .onion address thingy.

Please can you or somebody else tell us a bit more about this with a "Tor for dummies" approach.

Thanks in anticipation.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

It is your government that says these things are illegal, not all governments are in agreement with this. It is banned by some to keep you slave to their system - one that is being controlled and monitored 24 hours a day. This is the digital world and they are the keeper and we are the slave.

There are many secrets to be found when searching the web with Tor browser, no more limits. What better way to show free will? Now you have the free will to search the true web... both the dark and light side. See what type of person you truly are. Where does your heart lead you to on the web? Can you fight temptation once given to you or do you have your body, mind and spirit in alignment and can overlook all types of temptation?

Looking for answers - Tor browser has no restrictions will point you in the right direction.

ATS T&C rules does not allow me to go any further.

EDIT LATER: WHILE SEARCHING ON TOR BROWSER NEVER RELEASE YOUR REAL EMAIL ADDRESS OR YOUR REAL NAME. BIG HINT: Think finding a sponsor.......... USE the ONION email system (virtual system) and not your email program on your computer.
edit on 9-12-2014 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Uhh, didn't silk road and silk road 2.0 use tor and get busted, twice? yea ok.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Tor has been compromised in the past, and they're still not exactly sure how it was done, so I see no reason to believe it's safe/anonymous anymore.

www.europol.europa.eu...

“Today we have demonstrated that, together, we are able to efficiently remove vital criminal infrastructures that are supporting serious organised crime. And we are not 'just' removing these services from the open Internet; this time we have also hit services on the Darknet using Tor where, for a long time, criminals have considered themselves beyond reach. We can now show that they are neither invisible nor untouchable. The criminals can run but they can’t hide. And our work continues....”, says Troels Oerting, Head of EC3

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I understand the U.S Military invented it. I often wonder if they did not somehow build a fail safe into it? It seems surprising that they would build and release to the world at large something that would be a super duper tool for their enemies and an intelligence, data gathering migraine.

Perhaps they have lulled certain elements into a very false sense of security while monitoring the Tor network even more intensely than other areas of the internet?

I get the whole underground aspect; that makes sense.

edit on 9-12-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: extra bit.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Silk road no longer exists. Old news. Actually changes go on every three to four weeks. sometimes sooner. Only those sponsored are kept awake of this.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement
Tor has been compromised in the past, and they're still not exactly sure how it was done, so I see no reason to believe it's safe/anonymous anymore.

www.europol.europa.eu...

“Today we have demonstrated that, together, we are able to efficiently remove vital criminal infrastructures that are supporting serious organised crime. And we are not 'just' removing these services from the open Internet; this time we have also hit services on the Darknet using Tor where, for a long time, criminals have considered themselves beyond reach. We can now show that they are neither invisible nor untouchable. The criminals can run but they can’t hide. And our work continues....”, says Troels Oerting, Head of EC3

Sounds promising but this data was released after Silk Road was busted. The Darknet can not be controlled, it can be monitored and those that are within the circle and move about in secret - the government know nothing of. They only stumble across what they hear from insider tips. These criminals from the East have not been caught and change frequently their sites. Getting inside the loop is difficult but very possible.

Those people that get caught are the first time users who have either made a digital mistake or a foolish one leading the police directly to their door. The VENDORS do not get caught. (Vendors are the people who have things for sale) Sites are brought down and new ones go up everyday. Almost every vendor on Silk road still operates today. Some have since retired as millionaires but none of the vendors are doing time in jail. More likely vacationing in Hawaii.

EDIT LATER: By the time Europol or any other government agency responds to a new site ..... thousands of transactions have already be completed with no trace in place. This is how the digital criminal works .......with Bitcoin of course. NO PAPER TRAIL! And there are a few ways to wash Bitcoins untraceable!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
For those interested, I had a recent thread discussing online privacy/security/anonymity.

Thread

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Do you really believe TOR is anonymous? It's been around for years and if government wants to control it, they already do! They can control computers in Iranian nuclear facilities but can't control TOR? Sure

And the fact, that nobody knows who built TOR is making it even more suspicious. Common sense says don't touch TOR.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: baburak

Tor was developed by the US navy, first thing listed on the 'about' part of the website.

No, Tor is most definitely not perfect, and nothing is impenetrable, but it remains one of the best options out there.

It's endorsed by groups such as Cryptoparty - people who know a thing or two about internet security. Even Snowden is supposed to have hosted a Cryptoparty in Hawai'i, and I think we can all agree that he definitely had a need for online anonymity.
edit on 9/12/2014 by BombDefined because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Yea its called Siprnet. It's the U.S. Governments "internet".

Wikipedia
edit on 9-12-2014 by amicktd because: Add Content

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: baburak
Do you really believe TOR is anonymous? It's been around for years and if government wants to control it, they already do! They can control computers in Iranian nuclear facilities but can't control TOR? Sure

And the fact, that nobody knows who built TOR is making it even more suspicious. Common sense says don't touch TOR.

Tor is not illegal. Some of the sites on Tor ARE illegal and I am not saying to use these sites. BUT TOR does not have the restrictions that Firefox and other well known browsers have.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

Yea its called Siprnet. It's the U.S. Governments "internet".

Wikipedia

Used by governments agents for years. I know, I use to send and receive digital traffic through it on a secured landline.

I am also thinking about dropping some big info on ATS about our loving governments and its various agencies in how they do business.

The only reason our governments chase after criminals is because they don't get their cut off the top.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Do you seriously think the government can't track you...because I'm sure your internet provider can find out a lot if they want...keep believing that..technology is great but has made everything we do in our life part of an open book...

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Do you seriously think the government can't track you...because I'm sure your internet provider can find out a lot if they want...keep believing that..technology is great but has made everything we do in our life part of an open book...

The second you sign onto the internet your IP address is recorded - once Tor opens up - the tracking stops. There is no history, no ping, no back trace.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Someone else pointed out a while back that Eric Snowden released documents that showed the NSA can track you even if your using the TOR.

Your internet provider is in bed with the NSA.
edit on 9-12-2014 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco
a reply to: amicktd

One of the main appeals of Tor is that your ISP doesn't know where you surf.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

The compromise was believed to have been done by utilizing a malicious exit node.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
While I do come across as singing praises for Tor, just be aware that it's most definitely not 100% secure. It's only a step.
motherboard

If you're serious about anonymity, here's a good place to start researching. alternatives

top topics

<<   2 >>

join