It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

review. nightcrawler: a peek at how the news media functions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
www.imdb.com...

When Lou Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran.

jake gyllenhall, rene russo
---------------

i think my fellow ats'ers will love this. i think it is but a small peek at how the news media functions. jake gylenhall does a fantastic job of playing a major slime ball creeper. definitely one of the least likeable characters i have ever seen on film.

so the beginning starts with a peek at just how much of a slime ball he is. he starts to crawl, filming accidents and crime scenes to sell to the media...he is a smooth talker. he manipulates everyone. he is clearly very smart, but a psycho in his own right.

rene russo plays the news director of the local station. she gives us a peek of what the news wants. she says the image she wants people to think of is a pregnant lady running down the street with her throat cut.
she wants death, blood, and destruction...preferably crime on upper class white people by minorities cause that is what sells.
we get a peek at the edits the news makes to get ratings. how they 'build' the story. etc etc

i think this is a fantastic movie. i watched it the other day but wanted watch again before i wrote about it.

i recommend this movie for all movie fans and people that despise the news media alike.

edit on 5-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Hi again.

That is on my list for today. Thanks for letting me know about this yesterday.

I'll let you know here what I though about it.

Best wishes.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

no problem.
i think you will like it.
it was kind of refreshing. no sex scenes. no crazy cgi shoot em up action.
very good flick and jake is a major creeper.
even when he is not really being a creep, he is a creep.
you will see what i mean after you watch it.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I totally loved this movie - "Lou Bloom" was a dark and twisted character, but because of how sharp he was it kept you so captivated the whole time. He played kind of the "evil genius" role - in the beginning he looks like a sketchy low-life headed nowhere fast, but luckily he discovers his passion for filming stories. Amazing acting, he definitely got into the role for that one. I'm pretty sure Jake Gyllenhal (however you spell it) only blinked twice the entire movie lol really though!

Great movie, i recommend it to anyone who enjoys thrillers or suspense.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

right about the blinking.
that was his idea. to have the no blinking psycho peepers.
also the weight loss. he looked gaunt. he said the character was like a hungry wolf...

good description....he just seemed like your average scum bag at first but very quickly we see that he is a slick talker and actually quite smart.
for someone with no real formal education(as he said) who learned most everything from the net, he sure did get over on everyone...from the other crawlers to russo's character to the cops.

awesome performance and an awesome movie

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Saw this at the cinema a few weeks back.
It was a late screening and I got out of the cinema at like 2am.... was very cool.
Loved the film, very dark, excellent look at how messed up the news and media and our "love" of watching this stuff is... how detached we've become from the actual humanity and horror of what is on the news and the darker elements of society.

edit on 5/12/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Pretty good. I'd give it a 6.8/10 and put it in my top 10 for the year.

An impressive performance by Gyllenhaal. He's been pretty solid in some other films recently (Prisoners, Enemy, End of Watch) but this one really stood out in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

wait till southpaw comes out.
he's been training with floyd mayweather for a long time for that role

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Great film!

A satire on "the news".

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Indigent's review:

A compelling story about a true American hero, Lou Bloom a man desperate on the stagnant condition of his life gets a wake up call and decided to pursue his true calling in life. Armed just with a camcorder and a radio scanner obtained from a pawnshop we observe his ascend from rock bottom to entrepreneur success thanks to his self discipline and work ethics despite being surrounded by people that want to pay next to nothing for his great talents in film industry, unfair competition that want to assimilate his business or ruin him if they cant, and lazy disloyal employes that not only are incompetent at their work but also want an unfair share of the business he build with his own hands putting all his resources to it, disregarding all the great opportunities Lou gave them starting from paid internships to the priceless life advises he gave them for free.

Indigent gives this inspiring story
out of

edit on 12-12-2014 by Indigent because: You can say its a lie but that wont make it less true

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

i really cant tell if you are being serious or not
are you?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Blame poe's law on that

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

ok. i get it
i prefer to say what i really mean though

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

edit on 12-12-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2014 by Indigent because: Removed the evidence of Grovit double speech that he know he saw and said...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

wait.
do you really mean

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, if not then he has some serious issues.

new topics

top topics

join