It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Barmaid that became King (of the world)

page: 1

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here is an interesting tale of a certain barmaid that not only became the King of the City of Kish and established primacy of rule over all Sumeria from there, and therefore in their terms the whole world, the first recorded woman ruler in history, but also went on to become a major Goddess of Anatolia and Phrygia, her cult extending even to Greece and Rome...

Ku-Bau (also called Kug-Bau or Ku-Baba) was the first recorded woman ruler in history. She was a former tavern-keeper, one of many occupations that were open to women in ancient Mesopotamian society.

Referencing the Sumerian King List which was compiled circa 2100 B.C.E., Ku-Bau was the only ruler of the Third Dynasty of Kish. It says she “made firm the foundations of Kish” and that she reigned as king, or lugal the Sumerian word for king, in the Sumerian city-state of Kish for 100 years around 2450 B.C.E

As Kubaba then she became a widely acclaimed Goddess in terms of matar kubileya or Cybele, her Sumerian title Kug-Bau simply meant King-Bau.

Shrines in honour of Kubaba spread throughout Mesopotamia. In the Hurrian area she may be identified with Kebat, or Hepat, Kubaba became the tutelary goddess who protected the ancient city of Carchemish on the upper Euphrates.

Relief carvings show her seated, wearing a cylindrical headdress like the polos and holding probably a tympanum (hand drum) or possibly a mirror in one hand and a poppy capsule (or perhaps pomegranate) in the other. Her cult later spread and her name was adapted for the main goddess of the Hittite successor-kingdoms in Anatolia, which later developed into the Phrygian matar or matar kubileya

So a remarkable tradition then and we must examine the secret of her success, accounts of her rule are rare and sketchy but there is this;

"In the reign of Puzur-Nirah, king of Akšak, the freshwater fishermen of Esagila were catching fish for the meal of the great lord Marduk; the officers of the king took away the fish. The fisherman was fishing when 7 days had passed in the house of Kubaba, the tavern-keeper fish they brought to Esagila.

Kubaba gave bread to the fisherman and gave water, she made him offer the fish to Esagila. Marduk, the king, the prince of the Apsû, favored her and said: "Let it be so!" He entrusted to Kubaba, the tavern-keeper, sovereignty over the whole world."

So Marduk grants Kubaba sovereignty over the whole world for giving bread to fishermen, not the best of explanations, but that's what's confirmed in the King lists, in Kish Ku-Ba'u, the woman tavern keeper, who made firm. the foundations of Kish, became King for 100 years.

What must be noted with Kug-Bau is that she only has one name that of Bau, normally one would expect a personal name and that of their personal Deity, Kug-Bau is simply the Goddess Bau, that barmaid was a member of the Anunnaki, as can be confirmed in a hymn to the Goddess Bau;

the barmaid's beer is sweet. Like her beer her genitals are sweet, her beer is sweet. Like her mouth her genitals are sweet, her beer is sweet. Her diluted beer, her beer is sweet

Balbale to Bau

So in terms of Bau offering bread that was an aspect of her cult, but also so much more than bread;

Good woman, prayerful lady for whom has been decreed the creation of life -- each day as she goes about, conversing, from early in the morning she is to be ...... at her side with honour. Your name fills the mouth like cakes, butter and cream. Whatever she brings from the street and the beer she brews are of the best quality. She instructs people to provide her with the best produce of her orchards. As a daily task, she inspects the shrine Jirsu. Daily she passes before you in radiance

Bau could also serve up cakes and cream as well as beer, she was a very good Goddess indeed, she brought down something called the Tablet of Life, perhaps her recipe book;

Beneficent Protective Goddess of Bau, the lady who ...... food and drink and ...... in abundance, who from the dwelling place of the abzu's abundance speaks in a noble voice

I shall praise the good woman, the Utu of the Land, my goddess. Mother Bau's august minister, who creates life for the king! Holy messenger who brings the tablet of life down from the interior of heaven, who sets rain on its way from heaven, and brings forth abundance!

Protective Goddess of those who pray to Bau, ...... -- because you love mankind and rejoice at its gifts, let us forever praise you, the Beneficent Protective Goddess of Bau.

Hymn to Bau

So that certain barmaid of Kish that became King can only be understood as the very incarnation of the Goddess Bau, the young woman that had a Temple cult at Nippur and was understood as the wife of Ningirsu or Ninurta, and daughter of Anu.

Child of An, he has chosen you in his holy heart in the great sky and on the great earth and made you worthy of the ladyship of the Land.

Bau, Enlil has looked at you with favour, young woman, mother Bau, from the shining E-kur, and made you eminently fit for lord Ning̃irsu.

We see also Bau given authority over all countries again in the hymn;

Bau, in the E-tar-sirsir, founded for you by An, you decide the fate of all the countries; you, Bau, render verdicts and decree judgments. The protective genius directs your black-headed people before you in your courtyard in Iri-kug

So a curious case of the local barmaid being in fact the Goddess Bau who on account of her excellent cream buns was proclaimed ruler of the world and a true story.

edit on Kam1231338vAmerica/ChicagoFriday0531 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

I liked the part where she became a Goddess because she brought beer and cake, and her genitals tasted sweet.

Still, a great read S+F

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Emerald53

It's true, she was also something of a saucy barmaid...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

What is the smaller object she is pictured holding? Its shape is reminiscent of opium poppy.
edit on 2014-12-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Emerald53

haha she sounds wonderful!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Is it just me or does it look liek she is holding an Egyptian ANKH. The circle reminds me of another Egyptian symbol. RA i think? Even her hat looks like that of the Egyptians... Strange Coincidence?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yes that's her magic ingredient and what kept the customers coming back for more, the disc is perhaps the world she spins on her little finger...though some say it's pomegranate and mirror.

a reply to: Cogidubnus

It's a good observation because the Hittite Kubaba plant is reminiscent of the Hittite offering of 'the flower of life' motif, which is very similar in appearance and function to the way the Ankh was offered in Egypt.

Yazilikaya
edit on Kam1231338vAmerica/ChicagoFriday0531 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
All them people back then are animals today and all of us are animals back then. I know this chick and am working on restoration. The other day she was killed but i brought her back. The positive and negative bonds were broken so far a couple days she was just flesh with a positive bond and she just was lazy then once i hooked her up with the negative side suddenly she was jumpin for joy. It is very strange how that works. Once i resupply my stash we will be chillin again. true story

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Bringing people back from the dead is a rare ability, thanks for sharing and keep buying the cakes...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I know absolutly nothing except what has been stated on these message boards. The trick is too try and understand what someones spirit is saying through the voice of the flesh. I view it as a filter. It is just a matter of putting the plants in the right order. I am not saying that is the only way cause some individuals can draw from a plant without ever having to touch it.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Thank you much for this presentation on her.

Wonder if the Tablet of Life as you mention-perhaps her recipe book. And/or could it be more than just "food and drink" included, saying it had anything to do with the said Annunaki "engineering" of humans.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Such an interesting thread.
Would she happen to be Dumuzi's mom?
Probably not... Anu's daughter, and married to Ninurta. She was her own great aunt-in-law, or some such.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
because It happened so long ago the story reads like a myth.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I was joking a little, the Tablet of Life was the recording of prominent events in the life of Mesopotamian citizens, who had died or given birth, who had achieved what, and was read out to the gathered people yearly some time shortly after the New Year celebrations, normally understood as recorded by the scribe Goddess Nisaba.

That it should somehow fall from Heaven to Bau seems also a little humorous on their part, as this would be in the sense of the barmaid knowing everybody's business through tavern gossip.

Of course this went on to become the Book of Life motif in Revelations, the recording of what everyone has done and calling to account, or wiping the slate clean as it were.

a reply to: WanDash

No here is a good page on The Healing Goddess, Bau was assimilated with Goddess' that were proper Doctors and surgeons, but she herself was only ever more a healer of spirits, her name is thought to be the sound of the dog that was associate with the licking of wounds, but also this gave all the healing Goddess' association with Sirius.

Bau/Baba, whose name sounds onomatopoeic (bow-wow), was principal goddess of the Lagash area, with its three In Lagash, she was consort of the warrior Nin-Girsu, "Lord of Girsu"; he had charge of irrigation and the land's fecundity.In other places, her spouse was Zababa, a northern warrior.

It is her husband Ninurta that causes the flood but it is Bau who revives the fallen by breathing life back into them, and probably also offering them a hot beverage.

a reply to: AthlonSavage

It's a rare historical case were the distinction between myth and reality breaks down...
edit on Kam1231339vAmerica/ChicagoSaturday0631 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt
...here is a good page on The Healing Goddess, Bau was assimilated with Goddess' that were proper Doctors and surgeons, but she herself was only ever more a healer of spirits, her name is thought to be the sound of the dog that was associate with the licking of wounds, but also this gave all the healing Goddess' association with Sirius.

...It is her husband Ninurta that causes the flood but it is Bau who revives the fallen by breathing life back into them, and probably also offering them a hot beverage.

Thank you.

Interesting tales.

The dog is interesting, too (and the name that sounded like a dog).

For me - the genealogies written into storyform are interesting, as well.
Would seem that anyone making-it-up would try to use a little more "propriety" in crafting the worshipful gods...but, instead, presents Anu apparently continuing to crank out the progeny...many of whom continue to find their respective way/s to the Earth Zone...and wedding nephews, nieces, etc...

The songs - sound like big city sidewalk talk...

A barmaid (?)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Yes these are Deities whose purpose is the regulation of the City states and maintaining the link between Heaven and Earth, Bau as the daughter of Anu and Nin-Anna had also a role in the Inanna Temple at Nibru with regards to the inner shrine were seeds of humanity were given birth, she regulated distribution, a curious role.

Enlil, the king of all the foreign countries, Nunamnir, the lord who determines the fates, decreed something of great importance in the shrine Nibru, in Dur-an-ki: he made you exalted in the shining E-kur

Nunamnir, the prince of all the foreign countries, entrusted to you the exalted office of accountant of heaven and earth, and exalted you, giving you the rank of lady of the shrine which brought the seeds of mankind forth.

Your own father, An, the highest god, clothed you in the ma garment. He gave you the warrior of Enlil, Ninjirsu, as your husband. He bestowed on you the E-ninnu, the holy city, the shrine which brought forth the seeds of mankind

Supreme lady, whose divine powers are untouchable, daughter of An, omniscient great lady, young woman, mother Bau

Adab to Bau

Something i've looked at previously is the cult of the seed banks and artificial birthing tradition here and Bau certainly had a role in creating such produce, maybe ginger-bread men in keeping with her other roles, surprising what this barmaid could turn her hand to...

edit on Kam1231340vAmerica/ChicagoSunday0731 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hello Kantzveldt,

always when I find a new article from you I get excited, it is so interesting every time.

what I learned so far from this one: never underestimate a barmaid.

checking out the link for Bau I found on the homesite of "The electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature" (big thanks for this source of your posts) the following picture. May be you brought it already in an older post? Please tell me the referring ATS link.

these old fashioned computers are much more old fashioned than I ever could have imagined.
or is it a modern picture?

thanks in advance for your reply

edit on 7-12-2014 by lotusaugen because: x

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lotusaugen

What you have with Bau essentialy is the Post-Diluvian support Goddess, the other side of the Ninurta coin who was given responsibility for the Deluge, she re-populates the land through a birthing programme and ensures the supply of produce, she is credited with breathing life again back into the flood victims.

I suspect though that her cult was very ancient even before those early Sumerian texts and that it soon lost relevance in Mespotamia, because to find the true historical context one would have to go back to the end of the last ice age and mass extinction in the Northern hemisphere, and the arising of new populations at the onset of the Neolithic.

Of course the flood was no ice age but there is the alternative tradition of the ice bound Vara of Yima, and i think that Northerly tradition closer to the mark of what the real concern was, so the young woman Bau was as a Mother to this new age, it was according to her recipe.

Bau was quite commonly represented on kudurru bondary stones, she presents a friendly warning, along with her dog keeping a watch over proceedings, ignore the friendly warning and the other side of the coin will be Ninurta and war, so one should respect her activities and areas of interest.

The image from ETCSL is photoshop humour on their part...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Ah. One of my previous incarnations. I had forgotten. [Incipient dementia in aging souls is an unfortunate reality.]

Great find. Don't mean to disrespect. F&S&

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

The image from ETCSL is photoshop humour on their part...

Hah, that is what THEY want you to believe! lol

edit on 8/12/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

join