It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

springfield xd mod.2......any experience? buying it next week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
ive decided i am going to carry. going to wait till the 1st of the year to take the class.
i was at the range today shooting the sccy cpx 2 that i bought. so far i have 150 rounds through it.

its a comfortable gun but i see what people were talking about with the long trigger pull. something like 9lbs...you really have to squeeze it back and it was tending to make me go off target a bit.
after the first 30 rounds or so i started to squeeze about halfway, then reset...not fully just dial the aim in a bit...then finish the squeeze. that definitely helped with accuracy but i dont like doing that.
that is not practical in a real world situation...

i was talking to the guy at the range that teaches the class. wanted to know how far away the target is to qualify. its 30 feet. so when i have been shooting i have been putting my target at just a touch past 30.
my shots are not perfect...you know, not every shot in the 10 ring but the guy said what they want to see is you know gun safety..gun storage. and that you are capable with shooting. they dont expect you to be in the middle on every shot.
he said my targets look good. i was using the outline of a person, not a circle my stuff was right in there.
no speed shooting. no crazy trick #. just shooting...taking my time.

i will say though that people that say things like "why didnt they shoot him in the leg" and things like that, have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. it is not as easy as it looks. if i was aiming for a knee cap or even a head or something from the 32 feet or so away, it would not be an easy shot.
also, i can not even imagine how the stress of a situation when you are all jacked up effects everything. i had glasses and muffs on and just the bangs from the shooters in the other lanes were throwing me off. i flinched every time cause i i didnt know when it was coming. i was trying to shoot between their shots but there were several people and it was hard.
even loading my clips, i was flinching....

so its gonna be the springfield. i checked it out a few times at the range and it feels very good. i feel more comfortable with the grip safety and the trigger safety.

more than likely going to buy this next week. have to shop for a price and see if it will be cheaper online and pay the shipping and transfer fee or buy it at the store.

the place i go gives you an hour of free range time with a purchase and they warranty the gun for life. purchases from them, not transfers to them
so i will have to see on that...

www.springfield-armory.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Ladies gun? I dunno Iam a Brit we only have shotguns and the odd rifle.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Ladies gun? I dunno Iam a Brit we only have shotguns and the odd rifle.

if you want to call it that. sure

well made gun. have not heard bad things about springfield and it is small enough to carry

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would say get a little more experience before you jump to carrying in public.
Carrying in public when you have no firearms experience, your scared of gunfire and even loading it is a bad recipie for everyone. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it is a good idea. It is more danger to you and everyone else vs. the sense of security.

Having said that, I would recomend sticking to larger framed guns, like a 5" barrel and a full length grip, it makes muzzle control easier and accidents tougher as well as being much more accurate.

Not sure about that model, but I have shot alot of handguns, SA xd40 is by far the best. Side by side with the
$1000 H&k 40, it just smokes it for relibility and accuracy. The XDs have some of the best slide guides in them, after a few thousand rounds, the H&K was loose at the slides, the xd was a tight as new. Avoid the v10 porting, its loud as hell and wrecks your night vision.

Practice, practice, stay safe

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have an XDm full size in 9mm and it is a very nice pistol to shoot and very accurate. I only rarely carry it in the winter because it is a full size frame and not easily concealed. I have around 1500 rounds through mine and it still functions like the day I got it. There are plenty of options out there for them as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

not taking it the wrong way.

im going to shoot pretty regular. take the class in jan or feb.
then i have to get the license and i will go from there.

its not going to be an every day thing...not at first

gonna ease into it. carry it on me as i go to the range.....baby steps. but i want the class and the permit.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Having said that, I would recomend sticking to larger framed guns, like a 5" barrel and a full length grip, it makes muzzle control easier and accidents tougher as well as being much more accurate.

Practice, practice, stay safe

Depending on the size of the persons hand a full size grip and 5" barrel are not always the best option. You shoot what you are most comfortable with and what fits you the best. Pistols aren't a one size fits all.
edit on 12/3/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

yeah, i hear knives and cricket bats are big over there....

doesn't one need fairly large arms to effectively wield one of them bats?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

:

i appreciate any and all feedback i am getting but im definitely going to stick with the small frames.
it feels more comfortable in my hands over the large frames.
i like the size and the weight.

i dont think my accuracy is fine....not great and can definitely improve but for just starting to shoot again after not shooting for 6 years im doing well.
i know the more i shoot the better i will get.

also, i think it will improve when i get the springfield.

as it is by the law in my state i can qualify but of course i will strive to be better. i will never be a marksman or sharp shooter but i think im on the right track.

21 foot rule right..

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Springfield Armory USA, hey that place has a bit of history, nice little gun too.
Made in Croatia. WTF?

Don't ya hate it when companies do that.

It's still a nice gun though.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
If the guns nice but a little heavy on the trigger couldn't you get it adjusted a bit by a professional to be more at your prefered pull strength?

But for a bit of British gun pr0n the BBC program "life is toff" is great, the intro is pretty much giving anything and everything 'both barrels', even shooting stuff from the window of a 4-500 year house with a rifle...but the use of the F word may offend delicate ears as boy to they love it, just watched the latest episode and the youngest son couldn't hit a rat at about 5 yards with a 12 bore...so its no wonder we have the reputation of the mad major just trying to blow nearly everything up and missing it

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Right on, I should have asked your hand size..If you're comfortable with the compacts, then run with it.
In my hands they feel incredibly unstable, like I am going to drop them, or they are going to slid up in my grip, especially anything over 40 cal.
You can't go wrong with anything from SA. Their accuracy and action is ridiculous, the prices are good too.
Shootings the easy part, I don't see enough guys practicing drawing and shooting without blasting their kneecap off.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would also recommend taking at look at the Glock 36....a bit hard to find but a great carry option in .45.

And ditto what another poster said,...avoid ported at all costs....loud and the second you fire a round in the dark you are blind.

top topics

join