It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only religious fundamentalists are not hypocrites. All other believers are faking it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The only people who faithfully follow a religion are the fundamentalists. All others are just faking it! I've had it with all the folks that say they're Jews/Christians/Muslims, but immediately take an apologist stance against their own religion when one points out the inconvenient "fine print" in the texts. Why even bother with the moniker of a religion … ?

Fundamentalists have a bad rep, but at least they are honest and stand for something wholeheartedly while Apologists want it both ways. Let's face it: religions are outdated and incompatible with our modern way of living. I don't even want to list all the laws and dogma that need to be observed if you were to really live a religious life.

The Quran, Torah and the Bible are the core of the three world-religions. You either believe what is written in those books, or you don't. As a Muslim there are no two ways about the jihad (Quran (2:191-193)). As a Jew, you are the chosen one and God gave you a special piece of land (Deuteronomy 7:6-8). As a Christian you better believe that only Jesus is the key to heaven and unbelievers are bound for hell (John 14:6).

Also, the pet phrase "historical context of the surrounding text" is a phenomena that actually acknowledges the fact that the religious texts don't make sense in modern times. But if one starts to tinker with the meaning, anything goes … And judging by the many American Christian denominations anything goes …

My conspiracy theory is that the majority of religious folk that don't really follow a religion, as stated in the core texts, have managed to marginalize the ones that do.

edit on 19-11-2014 by AllIsOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

As a Muslim there are no two ways about the jihad (Quran (2:191-193)) . As a Jew, you are the chosen one and God gave a special piece of land to you (Deuteronomy 7:6-8). And as a Christian you better believe that only Jesus is the key to heaven and unbelievers are bound for hell (John 14:6).

Which one is right?

edit on 11/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You tell me …?

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I don't care. Does that make me a hypocrite?

My conspiracy theory is that the majority of religious folk that don't really follow a religion, as stated in the core texts, have managed to marginalize the ones that do.
Each fundamentalist in each religion marginalizes those in the other religions.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I don't care. Does that make me a hypocrite?

As long as you don't say "my way is better" I have no problem.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Does that mean no matter what we believe in that in a sense we're all hypocrites?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
i may just have to start a new religion ....i think i will call it "conspiradom"....and have a big hall and i will call it "the hall of conspiratol witnesses"....

it will cost nothing but feel free to leave donations

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinkortwim
Does that mean no matter what we believe in that in a sense we're all hypocrites?

If you think your modified version of … (pick your religion), which builds on the old core structure, is better than the original one than yes.

Why not abolish the old religions and build something new from the core? We need a greater God …

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
religious text were a great first attempt at creating order, they spoke about actions and consequences, on how to behave, they talked about medicine, and helped understand difficult times.
And should be respected for that. Religious books are the oldest civil code we have.
But now the are painfully outdated.

you pick your religion in the same way you pick your zodiac sign: you don't.
You come into this world and at some point someone will tell you "you are a Virgo and a christian!"
Religion is one of the very first "higher truths" you are exposed to as a child, it's inculcated in you, with the churches, the crosses hanging on the wall etc, grownups believe it and they are much smarter than you, so it must be true!
And the last thing we all want is to know that one of our core believes, is a load of bull.
So people try to shoehorn any aspect that can still be considered relevant about religion into our current time, as a way of saying "well i am not ENTIRELY wrong!"
Because, Gods or no Gods, the thing we fear the most, is getting this life all wrong.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Each fundamentalist in each religion marginalizes those in the other religions.

Yes, who is to blame for that? It's inherit in each religion. Blame the religion (source), or the followers …?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
religious text were a great first attempt at creating order, they spoke about actions and consequences, on how to behave, they talked about medicine, and helped understand difficult times.
And should be respected for that. Religious books are the oldest civil code we have.
But now the are painfully outdated.

you pick your religion in the same way you pick your zodiac sign: you don't.
You come into this world and at some point someone will tell you "you are a Virgo and a christian!"
Religion is one of the very first "higher truths" you are exposed to as a child, it's inculcated in you, with the churches, the crosses hanging on the wall etc, grownups believe it and they are much smarter than you, so it must be true!
And the last thing we all want is to know that one of our core believes, is a load of bull.
So people try to shoehorn any aspect that can still be considered relevant about religion into our current time, as a way of saying "well i am not ENTIRELY wrong!"
Because, Gods or no Gods, the thing we fear the most, is getting this life all wrong.

Well said. Is it worth living a lie just to conform? Maybe people are ready for a new inclusive religion?
edit on 19-11-2014 by AllIsOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

originally posted by: tinkortwim

If you think your modified version of … (pick your religion), which builds on the old core structure, is better than the original one than yes.

Why not abolish the old religions and build something new from the core? We need a greater God …

Or humanity just needs to understand how the universe really works. What is the matter really? Or really what is the matter here?

edit on 19-11-2014 by tinkortwim because: Mind over matter

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: tinkortwim

Well, how does it work?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
While I am fundamentally against organized religion, and agree with your premise, it can't work in reality.

I have friends who are Jewish and Catholic because those are their cultures. They don't necessarily believe the dogma but it is still their cultural identity. You can't take this away from people. It is what they know. They have little faith but warm memories of significant festivals etc that does make their two religious cents valid. I doubt any of them know the holy books inside our or give a rats ass about following it word for word.

Most of the Western world participates in christmas as a cultural thing and not religious. It's embraced for giving warm and light to a dark time of year and that has much meaning to those who grew up with it. Half measures are normal and it is human to want our say without huge commitment.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Oops double posted
edit on 19-11-2014 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo

Yes, it's just too bad that those religions were/are the source for much violence in the world. Warm, fuzzy feelings aside …

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

It works just like a simulation. AllIsOne program in a sense.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne
a reply to: igloo

Yes, it's just too bad that those religions were/are the source for much violence in the world. Warm, fuzzy feelings aside …

Oh absolutely, hence my position on religion. I don't see it as warm and fuzzy, rather dangerous, but just trying to define the psychology behind why religion is rarely go hard or go home, and more often cultural creep.

Anyhow, you got a point. It won't be popular.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

what utter twaddle

christian biblical literalist young earth creationists

[ the fundamentalits mindset i have most experience of ]

are the biggest hypocrits i encounter , for the simple reason - that they will gladly deny anything that contradicts thier bible - regrardless of the evidence

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I don't see those who aren't fundementalists as hypocrites, but more people who believe in god but not the holy books as direct words of god. but you may be right about new religious books needing to be written.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join