It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more military?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Okay as of late there has been quite a few people just really ragging on the US military or military in general. So all you people who call the military murderers and horrible people let me ask you something. What would happen if we disbanded all of our military tomorrow? If everyone oversees were sent home and the standing military was no more. Just a see ya later and thanks for coming out. Do you really think that if there was no military there'd be peace on earth or no war? Or would the US just get taken over? I mean all of you who hate the murdering military then surely you have thought about this. Or do you think that we could cut back on the military budget which is much more reasonable. So let's here your opinions and let the words fly!

Also I don't know if this in the right category so mods please move if need be.
edit on 14-11-2014 by WanderingSage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would love to close down all of the American foreign military bases and let the world fend for itself.
We could protect or southern border then to. The results would be very interesting.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

See that's reasonable as well. We do in fact pay a lot of money to have foreign bases in our allied countries. It'd help save us money as well and we could go back to our old ways of isolationism.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: WanderingSage

A lot of these threads popping up lately. What I think you don't understand is that people aren't upset with the people serving but are upset with the U.S. leaders and corporations who are using the military for their own personal gain, also known as the military industrial complex.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
not surprising that such conversations are happening now as opposed to...let's say 15 years ago.

the foreign entities that once had a voice in American policy loved its military.

now that the American military is no longer under their control but under the control of Americans (not citizens that immigrated here), its become an impediment. thus, a campaign is begun suggesting we put our weapons down.

most likely a different path will be chosen by our leaders and the world will witness the most extreme form of militarism that has ever existed in History.

i'd say opponents of militarism only have themselves to blame. if you don't like war, be peaceful. but many are not at all peaceful and will receive an appropriate response.

face it...the world has made its hostile intent towards Americans quite clear. and Americans are responding.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Well yes that is the case a lot of the time, but there are still quite a few people talking a lot of bad about the military. Calling us murderers, saying we pillage, and that we are all blinded to what the politicians/corporations are doing. That is not the case though. I'm upset with the politicians and corporations, but we do need a military.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

There's a whole wide world of options between what the military is doing now and having the military being completely shut down...

How about having our military be strong and protect us when we need it, and we treat them as the US protectors that they are when they come home? Perfect solution that doesn't shut down the military, but doesn't have us stationed all around the world in places we have no business being and then ignoring the plight of the veterans when they come home...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'd say just bring them all home and defend our own turf if needed. All the people who call us murders and such are the same ones who would be complaining if our country was under attack with no military. Then you have the people who shun the military, because we knowingly go over there to defend the corporations interests, while they sit back and fund the war by buying the corporations products. Just boggles my mind with all the one-sided thinking. I just get angry thinking about it anymore. Think I'm gonna sign off for a while. Star for you OP.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
We can't stop our global policing at all unless we change everything. People seem to miss that we need a total paradigm shift. The status quo of our economy is completely based around so called "free trade". We literally would fail overnight if we tried to retreat into ourselves.

We need the military to support the economy. Without the navy protecting shipping lanes, things would get rather hectic. Somalia (really Gulf of Aden, Red Sea) is a great example of this. Without the air force and army protecting key nations they might fall to rebellion, or attack from another nation. Kuwait it's a great example of this.

So as much as I dislike our modern military, if it evaporated so would the last remnants of our wealth and prosperity. We have to start building up a sustainable economy and help the rest of the world do the same. Our current path will lead to dystopia or extinction. There is no good outcome from maintaining the status quo.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd
Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm getting at here. People whine for the sake of whining. We NEED a military to defend home. But a lot of people only see the military negatively, but they don't seem to see the big picture. Without the military we'd be invaded.
We should definitely bring the troops home and defend our turf. If we reverted back to isolationism we'd save a lot of money and be able to reinvest into our own country rather than several other countries.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I'm all for it.

Having the people hating the military pick up a weapon for the next war.

I'll sit back, drink a Starbucks and complain.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Haha instead of Starbucks I'll probably have some Jack then point and call them murderers and see how they like it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I would love to close down all of the American foreign military bases and let the world fend for itself.
We could protect or southern border then to. The results would be very interesting.

This would lead to global arms race with dozens of new nuclear powers to fill the power vaccum and the US would end having its oil cut off, imports and exports cut off, foriegn powers with bases near the US and pretty much wars across the planet with US shipping being held hostage and nukes being tossed.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
a reply to: beezzer

Haha instead of Starbucks I'll probably have some Jack then point and call them murderers and see how they like it.

They'd have to pass basic first.

Now for that, I'd take a front row seat!

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

I have actually thought this was a good idea for a long time.

Withdraw troops from occupied Germany and Italy.

Yes we are still in Germany, Italy, and Japan after defeating them in WWII. We are still in Korea after the Korean war. although if they still want us I'd understand why. However, Germany and Italy we occupied and are still occupying and the people there do not want us. As for Japan, we are still occupying Japan, but they may want us because we totally dismantled their military and have left them defenseless.

We could also leave UK, they don't need us anymore. We in the past 10 years have opened bases in Africa, what the ___, we should not be there at all, period. We have bases in South America that we have no business having there anymore, the Panama Canal is up and running quite well.

We need to bring the military home and line our borders with patrols of the very same military we bring home.

That is my opinion, especially as it concerns Germany and Italy because they really, really, don't want us there and we have no business being there anymore at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'm all for it.

Having the people hating the military pick up a weapon for the next war.

I'll sit back, drink a Starbucks and complain.

I don't want to do away with the military, but having been a part of it for over 50 years of my life, I can tell you that the military is a lot of places it doesn't need to be anymore.

We really need the troops defending our borders, which is supposed to be a primary role of the American military, protecting the US from invasion, which is what is happening on our southern borders.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I wonder what the hell everyone thinks is going to happen IF WE DON'T VOLUNTEER? At least I was prepared to do the job before I joined. I SAW the way the hippies were/are treating our warriors.
I can EASILY debate the facts to show WHY, but most fall to emotions anyway.

THEY also think pride in skills of war means happy with killing which is ONLY an insult,and thus a PRIMARY arguement.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

What about Korea?
What strength is best for a standing force? 1980 two continent war or the current small agile putting out fires type force.
Either way we ARE now in a cold war.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Exactly, now I do agree with Tavi45 second paragraph:

We need the military to support the economy. Without the navy protecting shipping lanes, things would get rather hectic. Somalia (really Gulf of Aden, Red Sea) is a great example of this.

But that is it. No need for our troops to be interfering with every conflict throughout the world. They have their own armed forces too.
edit on 14-11-2014 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
Okay as of late there has been quite a few people just really ragging on the US military or military in general. So all you people who call the military murderers and horrible people let me ask you something. What would happen if we disbanded all of our military tomorrow? If everyone oversees were sent home and the standing military was no more. Just a see ya later and thanks for coming out...Just like it says should happen in the Constitution................you Know.........."The Constitution"...? Do you really think that if there was no military there'd be peace on earth or no war? Or would the US just get taken over? I mean all of you who hate the murdering military then surely you have thought about this. Or do you think that we could cut back on the military budget which is much more reasonable. So let's here your opinions and let the words fly!

Also I don't know if this in the right category so mods please move if need be.

Ummm...There....I done gone and fixated...err...adjustamorphed...ahem...finishalized, your thought for you...
Cause I knows that's what you were meanin................right...?

YouSir

POST SCRIPT: Yep...Them thar boldly italicking words was mine.........................all mine...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join