It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosetta is singing.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So scientist has been able to pick up sounds emitting from the Rosetta comet.

Rosetta’s Plasma Consortium (RPC) has uncovered a mysterious ‘song’ that Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is singing into space. RPC principal investigator Karl-Heinz Glaßmeier, head of Space Physics and Space Sensorics at the Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany, tells us more.

Allthough not audible to the human ear as the sound is in the 40-50 millihertz range, the frequencies has been increased by a factor of 10,000.

It is being sung at 40-50 millihertz, far below human hearing, which typically picks up sound between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. To make the music audible to the human ear, the frequencies have been increased by a factor of about 10,000.

The music was heard clearly by the magnetometer experiment (RPC-Mag) for the first time in August, when Rosetta drew to within 100 km of 67P/C-G. The scientists think it must be produced in some way by the activity of the comet, as it releases neutral particles into space where they become electrically charged due to a process called ionisation. But the precise physical mechanism behind the oscillations remains a mystery.

Pretty cool I would say. The sound that we can listen to is an artist impression of the data. Click the link to get to the sound.

Link to full story

Sorry for the copy and paste post. I got nothing to add really. just wanted to share this with you.
edit on 11-11-2014 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It almost sounds like that girl from The Ring...

That's pretty awesome though. Thanks for the share.

Who would have thought comets could "sing".

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Nice share , thanks for this.
I agree pretty cool.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It's certainly outgassing, and probably in more than one place, so maybe there is a bit of harmony there!
Yep, had another listen and it's harmonic gargling. Mind you, I think someone has stuck in a bit of echo for effect near the end.

edit on 11-11-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I just listened to this via a news article link, it's right up my alley for space noise. The Vela pulsar recording has competition now for my favorite space sound

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nettlas

A singing comet! Space is so awesome, I've always wondered about sounds in space, learn something new every day.

Nice find

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Weird , what are chances that an Alien civilization put a transmitter on a comet? To lure another civilization to track that comet ..what wil happen next we never know I guess ?

I mean why would they call it Rosetta ? Do they have something to decipher?

Great thread..
edit on 0b03America/ChicagoTue, 11 Nov 2014 17:12:03 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 11 Nov 2014 17:12:03 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Of course I am going into fairy land here, but it would be so great if, this would be some kind of space probe/satellite, shot into space to look for other civilizations by broadcasting a signal on frequencies that only higher tech civilizations would be able to recover

Well now all we have to do is resend the same signal in the direction of the comet to activate the "meet and greet" protocols

Never the less this is some cool info there OP.
edit on 11/11/14 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I guess it answers that age-old question "If a comet sings in deep space and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Apparently, the answer is "yes".

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wasn't there an alleged whistle blower that said this comet had radio signals a couple of months ago?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
As long as it's not singing 'The sky is falling' im cool.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax but if we're hearing, it kinda voids that point ?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
I guess it answers that age-old question "If a comet sings in deep space and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Apparently, the answer is "yes".

Well to be fair we were around to hear it, so the question still stands

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That sounds interesting.

I'm more interested in the raw data they used to construct that soundbite. Does anyone know where we can download the data files?

Dex

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What song is it singing?

"I'm a little teapot short and stout ....."

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Here is my handle, you are the spout.

Waiting...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is completely false as there is no sound in outer space.

space.about.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I just listened to this via a news article link, it's right up my alley for space noise. The Vela pulsar recording has competition now for my favorite space sound
here is a vocaloid song made with most of the pulsar's frequencies from the voyager probe's pulsar map:

www.youtube.com...

using data from the Voyager program plaque which basically depicts a pulsar grid used to show the way to earth I extrapolated pulsar frequencies and used those for actual audio frequency beeps to represent those pulsars. Those oscillations are mathmatically correct and corresponding to their pulsars respectively. In the song I play a long non-oscilating beep first, followed by a repeated sequence of pulsars. The long beep represents the sun which as a normal star constantly emitts radiation unlike the pulsar which gives of periodical bursts, hence the oscillation. In the middle part of the song there is a number of packaged 'blips' which are relative range indicators. The first package indicates an extreme relative range in comparrison to the other packages and shows the distance of the sun to the center of our galaxy, the other packages show the relative distance of the pulsars to our sun. Using the pulsars which can be located via their frequency and the relative ranges our solar sytem can be located by process of trilateration.
The third part of the song a stair of beeps indicates the number of large celestial bodies orbiting our sun, the third beep is corrupted to indicate that the target of the map is that particular celestial body which is earth.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nettlas

Could the comet be generating vibrative tones due to it having cavities and or voids coming in contact with cosmic elements that then cause friction from its speeds. And as the friction is generated from the speeds and turns of the celestial object and cosmic elements detectable vibrations are formed... Interesting OP

NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Probably saying, "Ouch that hurts get those things away from me."

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join