It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't post much anymore but....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have noticed a very interesting trend towards being rude and nasty to other posters of late on ATS. There are even a few mods that have forgotten they were members first and are being a little "short" with people...

I don't understand why on a site dedicated to civil discourse that this has to happen, is it a sign of how frustrated people are that they have to shoot back with "YOU MUST WORK FOR THEM SHILL" or even nastier comments?

Yes, people disagree but we can do it in a way that doesn't make others feel inferior or belittled. It's really easy, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it....

I hope that this trend is just a momentary bit of frustration but I fear it's not and this is how people really are nowadays,if that's the case I will be posting less and less on subjects, and that's sad as I cherish this site and some of the people within.... including Crackeur whom was one of the people the nicest to me when I exposed the OPPT fraud...

So I , a simple member am asking, can't we be a little more civil to each other, PLEASE?????

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: vkey08

Good words.

I sincerely hope this forum can be as welcoming and warm as others across the net.

Take Pprune for example, highly intellectual debates about complicated subjects and very rarely a bad word said - because by default they are all adults.

EDIT: Although come to think of it, I am a complete a***hole sometimes but I rarely start off a post that way - rarely.
edit on 6-11-2014 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Er what is the OPPT fraud? Or are we allowed to talk about it?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

We used to be, a few years ago, yes we had the occasional person that went off, I had one in the OPPT thread, but man, it's gotten bad lately, and it's really sad to see...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Er what is the OPPT fraud? Or are we allowed to talk about it?

This thread now closed..
Oppt Fraud

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

can't we be a little more civil to each other, PLEASE?????

No..use your agressive feelings, let the hate flow...the hate is swelling in you now,, use it ....give in too your anger

edit on 6-11-2014 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
On ATS I have been called a pig, scum, nazi, gestapo, jackboot, corrupt, unintelligent, a traitor to the Constitution, and I am sure many other things that I cannot recall at the moment.

Needless to say, I am slowly weening myself away from this site.

I have found one other forum I prefer much more. They are more focused on prepping though and are lacking a little in the breaking news department.

That being said I feel much more welcome and accepted there.

edit on 6-11-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sorry if this doesn't exactly fit with being nasty ( and I agree with you) But what kind of upsets me is when your having a serious conversation about a topic someone out of nowhere can post a joke of some kind right in the middle of the conversation. And I know that's nothing new but I find that the frequency of that has increased as well. I am not saying I don't like jokes but would you do that if people were having a conversation at a coffee shop or something. "that's not what your mom said last night" "maybe you can't get it up" Its like come on were having a conversation here and that joke is out of place.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I try to be reasonable, and polite as much as possible when posting on this website, and normally, as,far as I can tell, I succeed. However, there are some people who present such a witless and egomaniacal representation of themselves and their view of the world, that I find myself being quite terse with them.

I would never be deliberately rude or abusive toward a fellow member of course, but I certainly find myself loosing patience with them every now and again.

It happens, but I wish it did not.

My attitude to being a member here, is that there are so many opportunities to learn, and so many folk to learn from, that I would not want to do either myself, or the membership a disservice by way of ill manners, since doing so would be wasting my time more often than not!
edit on 6-11-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added c

edit on 6-11-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I am not above being rude sometimes, but I do try to be civil. I usually only get upset when I see someone advocating the elimination or genocide of a certain group of people or if someone starts using the word ignorant to describe people that disagree with them.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
― Leo Tolstoy

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
― Rumi

“Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants

“We are no longer the knights who say Ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!”
― Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Book): Mønti Pythøn Ik Den Hølie Gräilen

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Hi Beez, was wondering when you would show up with your wisdom

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: vkey08
a reply to: beezzer

Hi Beez, was wondering when you would show up with your wisdom

Take care of yourself young lady.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Thank you for the link. Was interesting to see some ATS members being rude and others trying to stay on topic.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I remember when I had to take speech and debate class in high school. The first time we debated anything the teacher just let us do whatever we wanted. And boy did the insults fly.After the debate was over that day,he explained to us that it was important NOT JUST FOR DEBATES,but for life in general to know how to effectively know how to debate properly to be able to interact in the world and to get what you want out of others,or at least being able to be heard by others. In a social species such as ourselves this is a very important talent. We barter and trade and share ideas and beliefs. In order to do those things successfully we must have ground rules that dictate our behavior so as to not have the opposite effect on others. The are very basic rules that people tend to forget,but need to remember:

1 Be polite
2 Stay on the subject and not the person talking
3 Never insult nor make disparaging comments about anyone involved in the discussion
4 Bring your proof,documents,links,videos etc
5 Be prepared to LISTEN. Whether it is to see someone elses side of the issue or just to gather more info for you to refute,listening is an art,and must be used to be effective.
6 Be prepared to back up your claims and refute the other sides if you have proof they are wrong on a point

There are others,but this would suffice to start off with. I keep this list in a file on my desktop and when I find myself in a heated topic on a forum,before I hit the post button,I pull this file up and read over the rules. If I have violated any of them I either change my post or delete it. Some things are just not worth getting that worked up about. Life is short,and you will regret wasted time before you die.

In this day and age I have seen many people that I can only chalk up to be bad parenting for they way they talk on forums. The seem to think they are immune to any repercussions because they are on the internet. Anyone that thinks they are anonymous because they are sitting behind they're computer is a fool of the worst kind. I can give you an example that happened to me.

I played World of Warcraft for years and somehow I always ended up an officer in whatever guild I was in. At one point I was in a 'uber' guild full of elite players and always ended up getting dumped on with drama by the other members. It was insane. Soon as I logged on it would start. One day this one woman that I will call 'X' was once again going on about having lost her more elite status within the guild and it wasn't fair boo hoo,and I'm rolling my eyes and trying to answer all the whispers I'm getting from other members about the upcoming nights raid,to coordinate supplies. Then X said something that made my blood go cold,she said she had had it and was going to go slash her wrists. No one wanted her anymore and wasn't worth living. Needless to say this got my attention. I'm not a fan of big brother,but I also know I don't want someone's death on my hands. I live in Missouri and X lived in New York.I knew I had to act fast since she had thrown a tantrum and logged off to kill herself. I immediately got ahold of one of the game moderators and told them what was happening. they contacted the police and get X help. One of the other guild members that actually knew X told me after,she had slit her wrists but the police came and kicked in her door. She spent weeks in a hospital under guard as a suicide risk . I hated to do it,but I'm glad she is alive. Of course when she did come back on the game she was terribly mad at me,but I can live with that.

This goes to show you,that you are not immune to being found,if you say the wrong things you can and will be found for sure. No one is truly anonymous,nor have they ever really been. I would never have done this if it hadn't been a matter of life and death. But other people may not be so careful. Follow the rules of debate and behave yourself. It can not only save you a lot of trouble,but also you won't have regrets later on when your not angry anymore.
edit on 6-11-2014 by Dimithae because: added words

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Its a beautiful thought, everybody being understanding and tolerent and patient with one another. Throw in a little love would be nice too. What's with all the anger anyway? I must say I've never had a real hater or a real angry reply (as far as I can tell yet on a topic) may be I'm nieve but I agree about the inapropriate joke thing in the middle of a serious topic. I tolerate it though as everything I get I deserve and everyone deserves to live (freedom of speech, etc.)

If your post @op can make ats and the world a better place than I say go for it but I know you can't change human nature, rather accept it for what it is or everyone could be like me and never ever ever speak an angry word (to the best of my ability)

I know this site is inteded for wisdom and knowledge, not a place for venting ones own personal frustrations. If you have nothing nice to say rather say nothing at all

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

I have a temper, hell Donttreadonme)can attest to the fact that I have a temper and will go off on someone if they hit the right button, but I try like hell not to, because it doesn't do any good, and just gets me in trouble with the staff here... And I can tell ya DTOM's seen in Private Message how bad my temper really is, so has Heff, and Crackeur and Springer, and the list goes on... But all in all I can say I've managed to never cross certain lines, and that in itself speaks volumes..

That's why this trend scares me so much, I can just as easily fall into it due to my temper, and I don't want to..
edit on 7112014 by vkey08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Well there's rude and there's rude, isn't there?

If it's appropriate - and sometimes it is - and is done in a witty and sophisticated manner, it can be quite entertaining.

There are already too many ass-kissers on here.

Groupthink = ass-kiss paradise (ie doesn't make for very honest or worthwhile discussions).

If it's just friends you want, join FB.

Just me two penn'orth.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I know its hard for some people but I honestly try not to let it bother me how people are online, I get that some people are just eff'd off at the world for no reason and like to take it out on everyone they can and usually online because they are too gutless to treat people like that to their faces but at the end of the day who really cares what a person like that thinks anyway! they are clearly not worth a second thought if they treat people badly online and can't even be civil and hold a adult conversation without throwing snide or nasty remarks or have no patience for people that may have less knowledge on certain subjects to them.

I agree people are a lot angrier everywhere nowdays but look at the state of the world, everyone has problems and stress I know I do, but I don't take it out on innocent people trying to have a conversation about something, so surely other people can do that too.

I have a bad temper too but I have never once lost my crap on here because its not worth my energy and if people don't agree with me and wont even try to see my point of view then stuff them because people that truly want to learn anything in this world will look at something from every angle not just their point of view.

You should post more, don't worry about people like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join