It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change could bring about our next evolutionary step???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

I was watching some small videos and I came across this clip... Now it's not the actual main topic of the video that I'm interested in but more so what she says regarding climate change and how it made our brains larger due to having to deal with the changing environment...

Do the "elite" know this? Is it why they desperately want to STOP climate change? lol

I dunno, it was a fun thought really more than anything serious but you know I had never heard this before! Climate change is responsible for what we are today yet we should fear it? I've always said what if it's a good thing... What if we could stop climate change (haha) and it turned out to be really bad...

Anyway I was just going to sleep but wanted to put it out there and ask if you guys had heard of this before? Have I been living under a rock? Is this common knowledge? If so why is it never raised in climate change debates? You can bet your ass I will be from now on!

Lets get this climate rolling and become better, smarter human beings in the process! Bring it on! lol

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Evolution takes place over millions of years. even something as intangible as a slight increase in intelligence would mean preventing a huge number of humans from reproducing. I can't imagine a short-term scenario that would raise our average IQ by anything significant.

In fact, advocating for climate change in order to increase intelligence is effectively the same as a eugenics program eliminating the lower IQ folks, but with the added extreme weather to deal with.
edit on 1-11-2014 by caprellid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: caprellid
Evolution takes place over millions of years. even something as intangible as a slight increase in intelligence would mean preventing a huge number of humans from reproducing. I can't imagine a short-term scenario that would raise our average IQ by anything significant.

Well I dunno... Imagine there were serious problems we had to overcome every single day battling with super extreme weather conditions... I can see how it gave us a big kick up the ass and forced us to take a leap in learning... Sure probably didn't happen over like a week or something, but surely not millions of years either.

I do welcome the challenges that lie ahead to be honest. I think it could bring us together more, it's a bit like the idea of an alien attack bringing the world together I guess.

EDIT: Just saw your edit... lmao... Sorry to tell you this but war kills millions and millions of people anyway and they are not so choosey about WHO they kill, intelligence or not... Same goes for disease etc...

People die you know, it's a part of life.
edit on 1-11-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Learning and technology might see an increase, similarly to the types of technological advancements we see in times of war. However, to call that evolution is wayyy oversimplifying the situation and makes it very misleading. We will not see a physiological change due to climate change until many many generations in the future. I doubt the elite of the world are concerned with more than just their own personal interests, and are not thinking that far down the road.
edit on 1-11-2014 by caprellid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Learning and technology might see an increase, similarly to the types of technological advancements we see in times of war. However, to call that evolution is wayyy oversimplifying the situation and makes it very misleading. We will not see a physiological change due to climate change until many many generations in the future. I doubt the elite of the world are concerned with more than jsut their own personal interests, and are not thinking that far down the road.

Possibly but have they not been involved in a supposed multi-generational gameplan already? Been involved in every war there is etc, funding both sides for their own purposes... I mean if what she says is true (not heard of it before and not looked into it yet) it certainly is saying that climate change had a physiological effect on our brains...

I'm really not so selfish to think only about the current generations on earth, what about future generations? What if climate change is something THEY need? I think its totally natural anyway and I personally dont think we're likely to see any major changes for another 20,000 yearsor more judging by previous cycles. Unfortunately XD

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
humanorigins.si.edu...

Here check this out... Seems it could be true! The normal evolution over millions of years you speak of increased our brain size but only slightly....

The most dramatic change in brain size was 800k to 200k years ago during a climate change event according to this....Very interesting indeed.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If more jetliners fly in the stratosphere they will block the light sufficiently to prevent our brains from getting any smarter…

wha wha whaaaat?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

It is a very well to be better and smarter but the bigger picture may well be ,what are we going to eat . If the average temperatures go up by lets say 5 degrees over the next 100 years i am sure there will be a lot of animals fish etc that just wont adapt in time . Throw plant life into the equation (our primary source of oxygen ) and it may be that we will have to get a lot smarter . Just to survive .

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If more jetliners fly in the stratosphere they will block the light sufficiently to prevent our brains from getting any smarter…

wha wha whaaaat?

Eh? XD

No it would be the opposite... If they actually had some effect on climate change (which I highly doubt) then it could lead to another dramatic increase in brain size thus making us smarter...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Meee32

It is a very well to be better and smarter but the bigger picture may well be ,what are we going to eat . If the average temperatures go up by lets say 5 degrees over the next 100 years i am sure there will be a lot of animals fish etc that just wont adapt in time . Throw plant life into the equation (our primary source of oxygen ) and it may be that we will have to get a lot smarter . Just to survive .

Yes exactly, which is the whole point I think... But not so sure tempreture rise is going to be the problem, it'll be the ice age but going by past swings in temps they usually take 100k years, We're maybe 20k years into this one and reaching the peak... I can't see anything major happening for at least another 20 thousand year unfortunately.

Just gonna have to stay dumb I'm afraid XD

But yes big stress adversity seems to = bigger brains which is great for humans in the long run.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I usually enjoy and respect your replies but this has me scratching my head .Colour me dumb

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

wha wha whaaaat?

No it would be the opposite... If they actually had some effect on climate change (which I highly doubt) then it could lead to another dramatic increase in brain size thus making us smarter…

Our "smarts" have nothing to do with slight changes in brain size. And contrails do affect the earths climate…

Link

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I usually enjoy and respect your replies but this has me scratching my head .Colour me dumb

No, I'm sorry for dumb attempt at humor. The toxins released by all the pollution sources from industry will make us all a lot dumber.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Not sure why?

I had a lengthy debate the other day with a friend and he pulls out a chart of temps over the course of the earths history... Tomorrow I'll try and find it... But the past million years or so had many swings each seeming to last 100k years... Currently we're at the peak on the next one... But obviously it doesn't just shoot down it platos for a time.

In these cases it's a long time. I'm in bed now and should be asleep but I'll get the graph tomorrow, it was a very interesting one to be honest.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Evolution takes place over millions of years.

Florida Lizards Evolve Rapidly, Within 15 Years and 20 Generations

Scientists working on islands in Florida have documented the rapid evolution of a native lizard species — in as little as 15 years — as a result of pressure from an invading lizard species, introduced from Cuba.

After contact with the invasive species, the native lizards began perching higher in trees, and, generation after generation, their feet evolved to become better at gripping the thinner, smoother branches found higher up.

The change occurred at an astonishing pace: Within a few months, native lizards had begun shifting to higher perches, and over the course of 15 years and 20 generations, their toe pads had become larger, with more sticky scales on their feet.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

wha wha whaaaat?

No it would be the opposite... If they actually had some effect on climate change (which I highly doubt) then it could lead to another dramatic increase in brain size thus making us smarter…

Our "smarts" have nothing to do with slight changes in brain size. And contrails do affect the earths climate…

Link

Well the video and the second link seems to think differently and it does tend to go that the bigger the brain the greater the intelligence even in the animal kingdom...

Contrails are just like clouds so sure, but there has to be the right conditions for contrails to form... And to stay there. But sure...

And okay yeah I get you now, pollution and chemicals could definitely end up having the opposite effect XD

I love the film idiocracy too, I think there is some truth there, the more intelligent career driven people do tend to have less kids while other not so intelligent folks have loads and sit on benefits raking it in XD

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Thats a good point too, saw that the other day! Interesting stuff for sure... I think there was another case too of lizards evolving over a short timespan... Maybe we could be so lucky XD

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Not sure why?

I had a lengthy debate the other day with a friend and he pulls out a chart of temps over the course of the earths history... Tomorrow I'll try and find it... But the past million years or so had many swings each seeming to last 100k years... Currently we're at the peak on the next one... But obviously it doesn't just shoot down it platos for a time.

In these cases it's a long time. I'm in bed now and should be asleep but I'll get the graph tomorrow, it was a very interesting one to be honest.

This was a reply to intrptr but that's ok . However a change over 100k years is different than 50 to 100 years

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Oops yeah I see now haha, my cue to get some sleep XD

But yes it would be if it were true lol... Thing is 50-100 years many of us will never see anyway so pretty good timeline they chose there eh haha... Haven't they also pushed the goal posts back some since the great "pause" XD...

My friend was arguing for man made climate change being real but the graph he produced really backed up the case for it being natural and really helped me to see that nothing significant is going to be happening for thousands of years... Bit of a bummer really lol...

Now I must sleep...

Btw hands up if you knew about climate change effecting brain size... Just curious

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Sure many animals will adapt very quickly and lizards have a great track record for doing so . However a lot of other animals wont make a major change over a short period of time .Sure there will be species that are at the coldest place that they can exist and will just move further north or south with the changing climate and the same goes with plants and fish . However if they are already near or at the maximum temperature they can live at where do they go .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join