It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask Our Northern Neighbors Whether Higher Minimum Wages Kill Jobs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Im going to hazard a guess that janitor inst there for a career but is retired and took that job as a top up for his pension and something to do.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Honestly I don't need a janitor. If things get tight he will be the first to be let go. He just works here to stay out of the wife's hair. He's set pretty good in his retirement.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Honestly I don't need a janitor. If things get tight he will be the first to be let go. He just works here to stay out of the wife's hair. He's set pretty good in his retirement.

I'm assuming all that you wrote but based on the check who will grow the economy more? The ones making a liveable wage or the ones barely or not even getting by?

Consumers grow the economy for all not the wealthy!
edit on 31-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

See just like I thought. Nothing sinister or greedy to see here

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

But that minimum wage job coupled with his pension would give him more purchasing power.

He likely uses that extra change from his job to do his old man hobbies.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

I'm assuming all that you wrote but based on the check who will grow the economy more? The ones making a liveable wage or the ones barely or not even getting by?

The money has to come from somewhere. Raising the pay scale also raises the cost of our products. It all kind of equals out in the end.
You know that a ten dollar employee cost 18 dollars.
Factor in social security and workman's comp, vacation and personal time. Those are the hidden costs of employees.
The way to boost the economy is to raise the interest rates. The govt keeps lowering the rate and that's ass backwards. There are a lot of people sitting on their money waiting for higher rates.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

But that minimum wage job coupled with his pension would give him more purchasing power.

He likely uses that extra change from his job to do his old man hobbies.

Golf and guns...

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I mean wouldn't you like your taxes to support infrastructure and the common good rather than subsidizing Walmart and Monsanto and Halliburton and the like? Minimum wage won't do much to help. You're right about that. It's a bandaid on a gaping wound.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

We have a huge foundry in town that uses about 2 million dollars a year in electricity. That business is the reason our town can negotiate with the power company and have 7 cent a kilowatt rates. That helps the population of the whole town. Those are the things that go unnoticed. Everybody stays focused on the negatives but never mentions the positives.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The money has to come from somewhere. Raising the pay scale also raises the cost of our products. It all kind of equals out in the end.
You know that a ten dollar employee cost 18 dollars.
Factor in social security and workman's comp, vacation and personal time. Those are the hidden costs of employees.
The way to boost the economy is to raise the interest rates. The govt keeps lowering the rate and that's ass backwards. There are a lot of people sitting on their money waiting for higher rates.

but it doesn't equal all out in the end...if it did, there wouldn't be such a disparity of income growth for the top 10%, compared to the stagnant growth in wages of the bottom 90%.....that's the whole point.

I always did find it amusing that the only time the wealthy complain about rising costs of products, is when you talk about raising the wages of the workers that produce those products...in their eyes, all the income they amass for themselves, IS NEVER the reason for rising costs.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

That's a bit different than mega corporations. If there were so many positives how come we have more unemployment and poverty and income inequality than we've had since the times of the great depression. I'm referring to massive multinational corporations that work together to establish monopolies. At the highest levels competition is dead.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

How does paying social security costs you when it comes out of the pay earned by the employee? These other hidden costs are a part of being a employer. You haven't posted anything that makes me think your a bad guy, and any minimum wage increase wouldn't adversely affect you because of the size of your business. But walmart making a family insanely rich and profiting there shareholders at the expense to government needing to provide welfare food stamps and housing assistance because they refuse to pay a liveable rate pisses me off, this is hurting our economy not helping it.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'll tell what it kills and why republicans are so dead set against it. It kills the second boat and the third home for the rich.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Employers pay half of your social security. You pay 1 dollar they pay 1 dollar

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Lol. They can already afford those. It's more that it affects their score in the silly game they play. Most of the 1% couldn't spend their money if they tried. No human being needs billions of dollars period.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can only comment on my part of the business world so bare with me.
A for these huge corporations. Most of them don't have minimum wage jobs. Exxon, Ford, IBM and so on pay much higher than minimum. Are they terrible or is it just walmart?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I can only comment on my part of the business world so bare with me.
A for these huge corporations. Most of them don't have minimum wage jobs. Exxon, Ford, IBM and so on pay much higher than minimum. Are they terrible or is it just walmart?

Not when they use prison labor, this should also be a huge issue for everyone as many top employers are using prison labor paying penny's per hour.

I have read that 27 million Americans would benefit from a $10.10 minimum wage, this would be awesome for small business...honestly it would be great for walmart and the service industry as well.

link
edit on 31-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

$2 an hour!
Chinese workers would love that!
Plus three hot meals a day...
Just don't get shanked by a shiv...or is it shived by a shank?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

$2 an hour!
Chinese workers would love that!
Plus three hot meals a day...
Just don't get shanked by a shiv...or is it shived by a shank?

The point is this current form of corporatism we have is a terrible way to govern the people and needs to be changed, upping the minimum wage is a start. I wish to see laws that protect smaller business from unneeded government regulation on behalf of the industry.

It kinda explains the high incarceration rate doesn't it look to Mississippi and Louisianan. Its a deep dark hole and this is America? 37 states allow prison for profit labor, its disgusting.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The point is this current form of corporatism we have is a terrible way to govern the people and needs to be changed, upping the minimum wage is a start.

That is a piss poor way to start. It does nothing to fix anything, and just mitigates loses from the government and the corporate entity to the middle class...the class that should be the most cherished.

I wish to see laws that protect smaller business from unneeded government regulation on behalf of the industry.

Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it! We operate under the premise of equality under the law. Creating protections for small business' opens the door for large business' to pry their way around existing regulations.

Would be easier to create a system of increased punitive costs, as size increases, rather than exemptions from regulations as size decreases.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join