It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Ridiculous Does Obama's Nobel Peace Prize Look Six Years Later?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverStarGazer

originally posted by: DaRAGE
a reply to: myselfaswell

He shouldn't have accepted it to begin with. What a joke.

I was listening to Radio Sweden during the time they were announcing the winners for the other various disciplines just a couple weeks ago and they mentioned that a person cannot refuse the honor but didn't really elaborate on what that actually means.

Well it is a "peace" prize.

I'd just slap the hell out of the presenter.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Does changing names on the war machine really count as ending it?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Not at all. He won the peace prize for beating McCain and ending the Busk-Cheney war machine.

Hypothetical question...

If Hillary had won the election, then she would have been awarded it?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

On a scale of 1 to 10 regarding ridiculousness, id say about an 11.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: SilverStarGazer
a person cannot refuse the honor but didn't really elaborate on what that actually means.

Of course they can.

If Obama was a man of honor, he would have turned it down. He didn't deserve it at all. He should have turned it down and then mentioned the myriad of others who actually did deserve it.

I remember certain posters here saying he deserved it because he inspired others. That was silly. All he did was read pretty speeches written by others. But some folks were so in luv with Obama they actually thought that was a good enough reason to get a Nobel peace prize.

And here we are, six years later, and there is no difference between the actions of Bush43 (who the Obama fans hated) and Obama.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The day after Obama was elected I was in a grocery store picking out produce.
I looked up and across the aisle there was a lady looking at me with a smile on her face.
She was a 40 something soccer mom from a well to do neighborhood up the road.
Seeing the big rock on her left hand I smiled politely and went back to my apples.
She started talking to me.
"Isn't it great?"
I looked up, "What?"
She said, "President Obama. Isn't it great?"
I said, "Why?"
She said,"Everything is going to be OK now. He's going to fix everything."
I really looked at her. She was kinda dazed. She looked like she'd just seen the second coming, almost beatific.
I realized that she really didn't care what I said, just that I was as happy as she was.
She actually thought this guy was going to save the world.
She was a true believer.
I thought for a full 10 seconds before I responded.
I looked her in the eye and said something very, very rude.
I was almost as surprised as she was.

I think they gave him that Nobel because they actually believed in him.

Damn fools.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Benghazi, Qaddafi, Syria, Iraq, Drone strikes, militarization of domestic police force, Ferguson.......and golf.

All on his watch.

Mr Nobel, you erred.......Peace was never an option with this muppet, he is merely carrying out orders from his boss, just like all POTUS before him.

But, there is a solution people..............

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

As ridiculous as it did when he first got it?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints

She said,"Everything is going to be OK now. He's going to fix everything."
I really looked at her. She was kinda dazed. She looked like she'd just seen the second coming, almost beatific.
I realized that she really didn't care what I said, just that I was as happy as she was.
She actually thought this guy was going to save the world.

When Obama was elected...( and I did NOT vote for him either time)... A woman I worked with ,named Helen who was an older German lady, had the same dazed glazed look. We were at work and she was so giddy I wanted to slap her. She said almost the same thing to me...." Isn't it wonderful! He's going to change the world." And then she followed with this dumb statement ...." I can't wait for Christmas because Obama is going to give us all money to buy Christmas presents ! What a wonderful Christmas we will have this year!" ........I asked her what in the hell she meant? and she said " didn't you hear? Obama is giving us all money for Christmas!"..... And NO I did not hear that statement EVER in his campaign . So I have no idea where she got that from? But I knew instantly at that moment that people were stupidly mesmerized by a man who put his pants on the same way as everyone else...one leg at a time......so yes I think the peace prize was ridiculous then, and it still is.Maybe if we had all gotten that Christmas bonus, I'd be a little more leinent ! Lol.....
edit on 28-10-2014 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

A winner can refuse symbolically but they will still be recorded as the winner by the committee and there will not be a replacement selected. Here's more info:

Nobel prizes cannot be returned, nor can they be rescinded; it is simply not possible to be stripped of a prize after it is awarded.

But Alfred Nobel himself, perhaps fittingly for the inventor of dynamite, did not specify that peace was a prerequisite for receiving the prize. In his will, he said that the prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or best work for fraternity among nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

regardless of a Nobel laureate's feelings about the prize, the committee still records them as the winner. "The fact that he has declined this distinction does not in the least modify the validity of the award," the awarding panel noted rather tersely when Sartre tried to turn it down. In the end, he was never presented the award, but remains listed as its winner.

"It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve," said Thorbjoern Jagland, the head of the committee explained, when asked why Obama had been chosen. He was hinting that aspiration, and not achievement, had swayed the judges' decision. Had Obama refused the prize, he would have been snubbing supporters of the very agenda he has committed himself to pushing, and to some extent, rejecting the values for which he was being rewarded. Deserved or not, his acceptance of the award was almost inevitable. Turning down a Nobel prize is even more difficult than winning one - just ask Jean-Paul Sartre, Nobel Prize Winner, 1964.

Article

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It wasn't just for bringing peace in the middle east it was also for a post racial america and building prosperity in the black community. Of course racial tensions are higher than they have been in decades and blacks are worse off then they have been in decades.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The Nobel Committee's time of relevance has come and gone.
They jumped the shark with the Obama peace prize award.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Giving Obama that award was very telling and a summary of his presidency. He got something for doing nothing, and now everyone wants to take it back...just like their votes.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It looked ridiculous when they gave it to him in the first place.

Now it's just obscene.

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Looks like he has been asked to return the 'prize' ??
Unsure of the validity of this page

LINK

Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Peace Prize Committee, said today that President Obama “really ought to consider” returning his Nobel Peace Prize Medal immediately, including the “really nice” case it came in.

Jagland, flanked by the other four members of the Committee, said they’d never before asked for the return of a Peace Prize, “even from a damnable war-criminal like Kissinger,” but that the 10% drawdown in US troops in Afghanistan the President announced last week capped a period of “non-Peace-Prize-winner-type behavior” in 2011. “Guantanamo’s still open. There's bombing Libya. There's blowing bin Laden away rather than putting him on trial. Now a few US troops go home, but the US will be occupying Afghanistan until 2014 and beyond. Don’t even get me started on Yemen!”

The Committee awarded Obama the coveted prize in 2009 after he made a series of speeches in the first months of his presidency, which convinced the Peace Prize Committee that he was: “creating a new climate of...multilateral diplomacy...an emphasis on the role of the United Nations...of dialogue and negotiations as instruments for resolving international conflicts...and a vision of world free of nuclear arms.”

“Boy oh boy!” added Jagland. “Did we regret that press release!”

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Why rant at Obama for getting a Nobel Peace Prize? He didn't ask for it. They gave it to him in some misguided attempt to stop the USA's rampage across the Middle East.

Does the anger come from Obama accepting the prize? Who would turn down a Nobel Peace Price and say "Sorry. I'm too much of a warmonger to accept it."? It doesn't work that way.
edit on 29-10-2014 by Frith because: (no reason given)

(post by Kalikiller removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Doublespeak at its top.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just as bad as Yasser Arafat somehow won the Nobel peace prize.Basicaly, Obama said the earth is warmin up.BOOM instantly wins nobel peace prize.
No wonder this admin will go down as one of the worst in American history and they all know it is true even the democrats know it is a disaster.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join